Cancelled Sky

rs101

If you get the 4k Freesat box, disable HDR on the port it's connected to - the box outputs all content in HDR whether it should be or not, otherwise.
Then use the TV or Shield to watch any streamed content.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Kissed goodbye to CATV in early 2018. Never looked back. Except Live F1, I don't miss it a bit. Now that money is being spent on other services that we use better and are of better quality than CATV.

RobbySpurs

Distinguished Member
Kissed goodbye to CATV in early 2018. Never looked back. Except Live F1, I don't miss it a bit. Now that money is being spent on other services that we use better and are of better quality than CATV.
My termination date has now been and gone. Got some pretty poor offers to stay, but having spent a few weeks without it literally the only thing I miss is the F1 (and Channel 4 HD as I am now using Freesat). With all the streaming options now (Netflix, Prime and Disney Plus) and a very good price on Now TV for a couple of months life without Sky is not what it would have been, say 10 years ago. Having lived without it, has no motivation to try and get a new deal and sign up for another 18 months. Life without it really isn't too bad!

scrowe

Distinguished Member
You should be able to manually tune Channel 4 HD from satellite.

Icaraa

I too have cancelled, about a week ago. So far I’ve heard nothing from Sky! I have Sky+ and I’m not seeing any offers in the interactive section, nor on the app.

muppetman

@scrowe

Completely agree with all your points I've got around 3-4 months of my contract left and I will be leaving Sky it would have to be a really good offer to change my mind as I really don't consider it good value for money these days and as you say technology wise its like they've thrown the towel in.

craigt1971

Agree too and why I will be cancelling when my deal is up. Fox moving off the platform is another reason too. The trouble is I spilt something on my Q Box (cosmetic, it works fine), do you think they will charge me a box cost when I return it?

Beagle64

@scrowe

Completely agree with all your points I've got around 3-4 months of my contract left and I will be leaving Sky it would have to be a really good offer to change my mind as I really don't consider it good value for money these days and as you say technology wise its like they've thrown the towel in.
Cancelled Sky TV today after 22 years.

Did not decide liightly and I don’t have an overall big axe to grind, but overall TV market has changed.

I’ve always considered Sky overall a good package and a high standard of content. I’ve nearly always taken the full package, and justified as £1 a day is good value, then it was £2 a day is good value, but lately I’d been asking - is £3 a day good value?

Over the years Sky has been the pioneer of technical achievement as a TV platform. From digital to HD to Sky+ to 3D and whilst a little late with SkyQ the promise of UHD.

The biggest letdown ultimately has been SkyQ versus the availability of content on other platforms.

1. SkyQ after 5 years hasn’t really delivered the promise of UHD broadcast TV, caveat we are still starved of a breadth of content.
2. For most of the time their definition of UHD was 4k resolution only, no WCG or HDR and no HD audio
3. With compression the UHD never looked amazingly sharp
4. Most content other than Sport is still on-demand. You can’t even schedule to record the UHD option which is available for some shows on-demand shortly after broadcast begins
5. Non-UHD content is still limited to 1080i and the Sky Q box is not the best deinterlacer or upscaler
6. No option for native resolution, if you have a superior TV scaler or video processor
7. Everything locked to 50Hz no native frame-rate switching on content.
8. Really slow addition of 3rd-party apps, Amazon Prime took far too long
9. Multiroom limited to 1080i mini boxes only, no sign of UHD option 5 years later
10. Overall role of of any significantly useful features is non-existent, underwhelming, or painflully late in comparison.

I paid from memory over £300 on launch week for SkyQ Silver and 2 minis.This is equipment I don’t own that is virtually free in 2020/21 to new customers, yet I can’t get HDR because my box is not compatible, and Sky thinks it’s fair to charge me £50 to get a new box. This was a bit of a straw/camel/back scenario.

After experimenting and research I can get most of the drama via US apps and a VPN, and iTunes US subs on AppleTV, for circa 25% of my current sub, and mostly better quality. The only thing I can’t replace is the Premier League footy, but I can get 1080p via NowTV after deals,for average £20pm moving forwards. I’ve also picked up a Zgemma H7s sat/aerial recordable receiver which is good enough to replace FTA freesat/freeview for the rare times I might need them.

Sad day really, but the industry of broadcast TV is significantly changing, and Sky have become stale, and no longer a technical pioneer in this space.
Not sure where Sky can go with the unstoppable rise of high quality streaming. Their Q box isn’t as good as either Apple TV or Amazon for apps, and I can’t see their own content replacing so much content disappearing behind other providers paywalls. We’re still subscribing as I find multi room convenient and we love watching cricket but it’s becoming an increasingly expensive offering for what you get.

bingodisco

Agree too and why I will be cancelling when my deal is up. Fox moving off the platform is another reason too. The trouble is I spilt something on my Q Box (cosmetic, it works fine), do you think they will charge me a box cost when I return it?
Highly unlikely. Boxes aren't usually checked that thoroughly when received, they're just thrown onto the conveyor belt for refurbishing and then sent back out. With yours they'll just wipe the hard-drive, re-flash the firmware and stick on a new outer plastic shell to make it look like new again.

MilanoChris

90% of our viewing is on apps on my Apple TV, Sky is used mainly for terrestrial TV and I watch the F1, Premier League and I used to watch BT Sport though it (added via my PlusNet account).

I've since realised I can get BT Sport on my Apple TV through EE which works out far cheaper than through Sky, BT or PlusNet. The quality is impressive on the main events, but for the 'Extra' channels you can tell the bitrate is scaled right down. Has it bothered me massively? Not really, plus it's saving me at least £10 a month.

Hence I'm now thinking about watching the F1 and Sky Premier League via NowTV as and when I fancy it.

The only thing I'll have to try and find is a properly decent (ie, future wife friendly) 4k Freesat/Freeview box unless my new TV can do it built in and record (unlikely).

Sky is simply too expensive for what it is now. Great to see this thread and some good information in the comments.

I'd like to do the Apple TV trick for sports but it seems a lot of hassle.

Last edited:

muppetman

The problem for Sky is Now TV is the way forward an app available on a device of your choice but Sky is frightened of making improvements to Now TV because it risks losing its Premium Q subscribers.

Nobody wants the 18 month Sky Q or the 24 month BT TV contracts these days people want flexibility.

People want the ability to cancel penalty free

Multi Screen on a device of your choice

Tailored viewing to the individual (Profiles)

machinehead1

I will be joining the leaving club too. Sky now has a lot of competition where for years they have had the rub of the green. I've had a 4k firestick for quite a while,thats where I now spend most of my viewing. The q box is the worst satellite box that I've ever had and Ive had a few over the years. It will take them more than uhd to save them in the future if they don't get their act together.

jcarrington

Standard Member
I have not had Sky for two years now and I don't miss it. 95% of my viewing is now via streaming apps and I love the flexibility they bring. I also don't like being locked into long term TV contracts, which was one of the reasons I decided to cancel. I think the Pay TV model is heading is the same direction as the landline - a decline that you cannot stop as habits are changing.

El Barto

When I bought my LG C9 there was a 18 month SKY promotion which was for

Sky Entertainment (Free)
Sky Kids (£5pm)
Sky Cinema (£10pm)
Sky HD (Free)
Sky Q Multiscreen Pack (Free)

Now that the 18 months is up they re-quoted £77pm, when I spoke to them they asked who provided their broadband (Talk Talk) so re-quoted the above inc BB @ £71pm, told them far too expensive, so they took away the Kids TV & Multiscreen and re-quoted £61pm (which is too expensive)

What are the best options going forward for my elderly parents to view mainly movies & live terrestrial TV in the living room & bedroom?

bingodisco

What are the best options going forward for my elderly parents to view mainly movies & live terrestrial TV in the living room & bedroom?
Buy a couple of 4K Firesticks during Prime weekend (starting tomorrow) when they will be £26 each. These will give you all the apps you could possibly need - Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV, iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4 and of course Now TV. A monthly entertainment and movies pass from Now will cost less than a Sky subscription and you won't be tied into a long term contract. If you also take the Boost pass then you can get HD, 5.1 sound & access the service on more than one device at the same time. All this is dependent of course on having good broadband but the FireTV interface is very straightforward once set up.

ashenfie

We use appleTV and share Netflix/Prime and Disney+ with other family. So after the shock of buy the basic AppleTV it's all around £15 per month. Plus £22 for Vodafone fibre BB

El Barto

Thanks for the reply and the firesticks & now TV boost tip
Netflix sub is already in place for them through me and my mate sharing a sub

Costing it up to get Sky Cinema & Entertainment + BOOST = £25 pm (after offers)
Include the £56 outlay for 2 x Firesticks & £28 for 2 x Ethernet adaptors

So cost of ownership over 12 months = £32 per month

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I'm checking Now tv for exactly the same reasons as you.
There’s a major flaw with the Firestick, or at least for me there is.
It doesn’t match frame rates for anything except Prime video. This results in Now skipping a frame on a very regular basis which is really distracting. You or they might not notice it of course.
So far I’ve got as far as discounting the Firestick, discounting the Apple TV because Now doesn’t support 5.1 on it and I’m left with only the app on my LG CX which seems to work properly…touch wood.
I am using boost btw.

bingodisco

NowTV doesn't stutter for me on Firestick when used on both Samsung and Panasonic TVs. You can force it to play at 50Hz in the settings if you want it to play the native frame rate for Now.

parper

I'm checking Now tv for exactly the same reasons as you.
There’s a major flaw with the Firestick, or at least for me there is.
It doesn’t match frame rates for anything except Prime video. This results in Now skipping a frame on a very regular basis which is really distracting. You or they might not notice it of course.
So far I’ve got as far as discounting the Firestick, discounting the Apple TV because Now doesn’t support 5.1 on it and I’m left with only the app on my LG CX which seems to work properly…touch wood.
I am using boost btw.
I was surprised at the quality of the Now stream app on my non-OLED LG TV. Maybe the TV upscale, haven't tried the boost yet to compare.

I'm gong to get a 4k firestick in tomorrow's Prime event so interested to see how that fares with Now.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom