Cancelled sky ... what can i do with it??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by stuartgrn, Jan 4, 2012.

1. stuartgrn

stuartgrn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just cancelled sky but obviously still have dish, cabling and an HD Box. Wondering if there is anything i can do with it? I have a TV in the conservatory using an indoor aerial not getting many digital channels - thinking maybe using dish for something? Free sat channels? Looking for any ideas to utilise the existing dish. Any ideas would be fantastic! Thank you.

2. har42

har42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i think you can freesat and freesat HD channels with the sky box but if you want to record you have to ask sky for a new card and they charge you £10 a month the ability to record.

3. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Nearly right. You keep your existing card - Sky won't activate Sky+ on a new card - but will allow you to activate Sky+ on existing card for £10.25 per month.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Have I misunderstood something here?
    You have a satellite receiver, a dish, and the cables, and you're asking if there's anything you can do with them.
    Why not just continue using them?:confused:
    You ask if you can use them for free satellite channels, and of course you can, just as you do now.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. har42

har42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think sky have a 30 day prior notice on cancellations so this would mean he would still have sky until 30 days from now. I think he wants to know what he can do after the 30 days. Thats how i read it anyway.

6. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Im nearly in the same position as the OP,ive just had a look at my outgoings,and not happy with the amount SKY are getting,without the HD pack,i still get some of the HD channels,(i thought youd get none).what would happen to the multi room,and as the OP asks,could i somehow get ,like a freesat service,or more for nought,ive been looking at things like starview boxes and even plugging netbook into TV,if i cpould get it to work as a sort of tuner.

what else is there after sky?

7. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    If "some of the HD channels" are the free ones then naturally you get them - why not?:confused:
    Again, you'd continue to get a "free sat service", in the form of the free channels that you get now.
    The only Starview machines that I know of are for cabled services, not satellite.
    There are tuner cards for computers but I don't know whether there are for laptops.
    Here are full details of the three ways to go after Sky subscription: http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1307423-free-satellite-freesatfromsky-freesat.html.
    If you want to retain recording facilities then Freesat is the way to go: Freesat PVRs.

8. ant_thomas

ant_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    There's a number of USB DVB-S2 (satellite) tuners available that would work with a laptop/netbook. Just remember that decoding and deinterlacing 1080i content might be a stretch for a netbook

Some examples....

TBS - DVB-S2 Dual tuner|PCI-E DVB-S2|Q-Box|DVB-S2|DVB-S tv tuner|ISDB|
    Tevii - http://www.tevii.com/Products_A.asp

I personally have a pair of TBS PCI DVB-S2 cards. I've had them for a year now in a linux system in the attic and they haven't missed a beat. So much so I now want one of their quad tuner cards!

9. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I didnt know sky had free HD channels,i thought thats why i was paying.Im just starting to get my head into this,its quite alot to take in,motorised dishes,different satellites,...im amazed i havent looked into this earlier,i think a freesat box is the way forward.
    Time to start swotting up.
    Nice one for the links,im going to start looking up now.
    (nOOb alert)
    I take it,that to get different satellites,(bear with me on this,im a a learning curve here..),i would need a moveable dish,ie my sky one wouldnt work very well.,i would only get the basic freesat channels.(?)

10. ant_thomas

ant_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    For multiple satellites some of your options are

Multiple dishes pointing at the relevant satellites
    Single dish with motor
    Single dish with multiple LNBs

11. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    I didnt know that you could get any HD channels from sky without paying for them,i presumed that sky only did payed for HD.
    Im on a right ol learning curve here,i think what im after is a freesat box,with the ability to go non freesat,but,(nOOb alert),would i be able to get more than "normal" freesat channels,plus the HD ones,with a fixed dish.
    Obviously,i need to do alot more homework,i only found out how many channels where available by not using sky or virgin if you can just tap into the satelite.
    Thanks for the reply.
    @ ant,yes youre right,i dont think the netbook would do 1080i very well at all.but,i do have another pc in the loft also,i use that for music making at the mo,but am in the process of another build,just for cubase,so i could potentialy use the "old"pc....mmmmm,my brains doing overtime.
    Im going to study this part of AVF,to see what i could do,money permitting.
    Thanks for the replys,.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    It's not that Sky has free HD channels - they're there for anyone to receive, with any machine, including Sky's.
    When you pay to Sky you, by definition, pay for channels that are not free!
    The £10 "HD Pack" gets you the HD versions of any SD channels that are in your subscription packs, entertainment, sports, or film.
    If you don't pay Sky anything, then their machine simply receives the free channels, SD and HD.
    It stops recording though, and only if you want to carry on doing that do Freesat and their PVRs come into it.
    I don't know how motorised dishes and different satellites have come into it though.:confused:
    There's very little in the way of free English channels on anything other than the satellites that your Sky dish accesses.
    It could be made to access others if you really wanted them but it would be better to change it.
    You refer to Freesat channels and it's important to note that the word Freesat actually refers only to the channels that pay to be on its EPG, though the other free UK channels are available on their machines without the EPG.
    I think you're right that "a freesat box" would suit your needs, but I don't get what you mean by "with the ability to go non freesat".
    Unless you go for those other satellites, there are NO "more than "normal" freesat channels,plus the HD ones,with a fixed dish".

13. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    Thats what im after then,the other satelllites,and to get them i need a motorised dish,and a freesat box.
    I read on the link,that a box needs to be able to do non freesat,i thought that meant,be able to search for other satellites,as some,like,for quick example,a sky box,wont(without tinkering)be able to search for others.
    Anyways,im getting it know,ive only been on this for a few hours,so please go easy.
    Its a good theory,and i should be able to do this,i dont like giving sky my money,and now,im finding out about a way out of it.
    Thanks again.

14. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Why do you want the other satellites?:confused:
    As I said about them "there's very little in the way of free English channels on anything other than the satellites that your Sky dish accesses".
    To receive from one satellite other than the one with the UK channels you could move your current dish, or you could add to it one or more "LNBs" the things that actually pick up the signal, or you could replace it with a new dish with its LNBs, or you could get a motorised dish.
    You could use a Freesat machine for the purpose, but they're meant for what they're called, Freesat, so a different type of machine made for its purpose would be better imho.
    I'm not sure what that link meant, about "a box needs to be able to do non freesat".
    Although Freesat machines are mainly meant for receiving the channels that are on its EPG, as I said "the other free UK channels are available on their machines without the EPG", and that's usually called "non-Freesat mode".
    Back on the main topic, when you stop subscribing to Sky, and want to see the free channels, you can carry on using the Sky machine, and if you want to record programmes you can change to a Freesat PVR.
    You don't need anything more than that.
    Let me know if I come over too technical or anything like that.;)
    HTH - Logi