Cancelled SKY Subscription

iambob

Standard Member
I currently have a skybox plugged in and in use but have cancelled my subscription as I barely watch any of the extra channels but the aerial reception around me is appallingly un-watchable. At the minute the EPG appears to be broken for most channels and I'm unable to watch some of the freesat channels (E4,More4...etc) that I thought were available. Is there some procedure I have missed in getting this box to work properly as a freesat receiver?

J Roadley

Don't you have to pay £1 a month to get More4 etc?

Why not just go and buy a freesat box and get some HD for free as well :D

Bachstrad

I currently have a skybox plugged in and in use but have cancelled my subscription as I barely watch any of the extra channels but the aerial reception around me is appallingly un-watchable. At the minute the EPG appears to be broken for most channels and I'm unable to watch some of the freesat channels (E4,More4...etc) that I thought were available. Is there some procedure I have missed in getting this box to work properly as a freesat receiver?

I think you need a 'Freesat from Sky' card, which is a 'one off' £20 to receive the full range of FTA and FTV channels.

ATB

Max

Ben

I think you need a 'Freesat from Sky' card, which is a 'one off' £20 to receive the full range of FTA and FTV channels.

An expired Sky subscription card become a FreeSatFromSky card by default, there's no need to pay £20 for another card. The £20 only applies if you just want a FTA/FTV card from the outset :)

Bachstrad

An expired Sky subscription card become a FreeSatFromSky card by default, there's no need to pay £20 for another card. The £20 only applies if you just want a FTA/FTV card from the outset :)

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure.

ATB

Max

iambob

Standard Member
The aerial reception... thats why I had sky before, but now freesat covers all my TV needs. The EPG doesn't work properly all the time on the standard 1-5 channels, sometimes the listing have times and other times i just have a message saying its unavailable.. its working as I post this but its fairly iffy. Any recommendations for a decent HD receiver, I assume its only HD on the specific channels and the rest are upscaled?

Starburst

Distinguished Member
First of all a SKY box will never be a Freesat box, they are two separate proprietary products.

If you ever have issues with SKY hardware (in fact any STB's) reboot them, it's amazing how many times this will cure any problems that are firmware related.
If that doesn't solves the EPG issues on the SKY box then you may have a reception issue that could effect the use of a Freesat box.

There are not that many Freesat HD boxes on the market, those on offer are being discussed in the forum right now. If you buy a HD Freesat single tuner box then you have access to BBCHD, ITVHD simulcast (via interactive when launched) and I think LuxeHD(?). I assume you can tell the STB to either upscale the SD channels or send them unprocessed where the HD telly will upscale them.
You may want to wait a while and consider a Freesat HD DVR, believe me they change the way you watch broadcast TV:)

jwball

The aerial reception... thats why I had sky before, but now freesat covers all my TV needs. The EPG doesn't work properly all the time on the standard 1-5 channels, sometimes the listing have times and other times i just have a message saying its unavailable.. its working as I post this but its fairly iffy. Any recommendations for a decent HD receiver, I assume its only HD on the specific channels and the rest are upscaled?

Sounds like you may need to update the firmware, unplug the box and plug it in again holding the backup button on the front of the box. All the lights should come on and it will say updating on the screen.

This worked to fix epg problems on an old digibox I use.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom