Cancelled Sky HD : 12 month contract @ £10 to keep + functions?!

TRIXXY DIXXY

Established Member
Reaction score
Just cancelled SkyHD as we we found that the channels we mainly watched were 'free' channels i.e BBC HD, CBeebies, E4 etc. We were paying £49p.m. for Sky Sports HD and 4 packs.

Told the lady on the phone I'd be happy to pay the £10 a month to keep the '+' functions of the Sky Box but she told me I would need to enter a 12 month contract to do this, or I could pay £18 for 1 pack and keep the recording functions and not have to enter into a 12 month contract. We got Sky HD in 2008 so are not tied into a contract with them at the moment.

I told her I was not prepared to enter into a 12 month contract just to use the recording function so have cancelled the whole thing. I would of happily paid the £10 a month without a contract as I was wanting to do this to wait and see if any new Freesat PVR's came out later on in the year.

Anyway, basically I was just wanting to know if anyone else has heard of this 12 month contract at £10 pr month to keep the '+' functions? :confused:

It's news to me, and you might find another agent said differently.

She is right for you to use sky+ recording functions you have to have 1 pack for £18.00 p/m.You can not have free to air channels and use the sky+ recording functions for free,i know yuo are saying you want to pay £10.00 for it but with sky it does not work like that you have to have the £18.00 package.
If i was to cancel my hd this year and still have my movie package on sd and wanted to go back to hd i have to enter another 12 months contract thats how it works.when i moved from sky +box to hd box i was in another 12months contract for taking out the hd .Thats how sky work:thumbsup:

She is right for you to use sky+ recording functions you have to have 1 pack for £18.00 p/m.You can not have free to air channels and use the sky+ recording functions for free,i know yuo are saying you want to pay £10.00 for it but with sky it does not work like that you have to have the £18.00 package.
If i was to cancel my hd this year and still have my movie package on sd and wanted to go back to hd i have to enter another 12 months contract thats how it works.when i moved from sky +box to hd box i was in another 12months contract for taking out the hd .Thats how sky work:thumbsup:

Fail. :D

Of course you can pay £10 per month for Sky+ functionality with the FTA/FTV channels. Sky have already confirmed this with the OP - what the OP is questioning is whether this should tie them to a further twelve month contract or not. Not whether it is possible or not. Of course it is possible - lots of people do it.

Fail. :D

Of course you can pay £10 per month for Sky+ functionality with the FTA/FTV channels. Sky have already confirmed this with the OP - what the OP is questioning is whether this should tie them to a further twelve month contract or not. Not whether it is possible or not. Of course it is possible - lots of people do it.
yes but what im saying is for him not to have the 12 months contract he has to have the package for £18.00.and if he just wants to pay the £10.00 to use the sky+ functions he has to get into a new contract.Like what the op said is he does not want to get into the 12 months contract.

yes but what im saying is for him not to have the 12 months contract he has to have the package for £18.00.and if he just wants to pay the £10.00 to use the sky+ functions he has to get into a new contract.

No, that's not what you're saying at all. You said he couldn't have Sky+ functionality alone for £10 per month:-

Yes, you're now backtracking and pretending that you knew all along that the £10 Sky+ only option was always available - but from your first post it is quite clear you knew nothing of the sort.

Lol

anyways I'm just wanting to know if it is true that I have to sign a 12 month contract to use the '+' functions which is £10 per month, or was the lady from retentions just trying to make me go for the £18 per month package?

I've not been able to find any mention of it in the T&C's.

Lol

anyways I'm just wanting to know if it is true that I have to sign a 12 month contract to use the '+' functions which is £10 per month, or was the lady from retentions just trying to make me go for the £18 per month package?

I've not been able to find any mention of it in the T&C's.

Yes you have to sign a 12 month contract to use the '+' functions which is £10 per month.Which works out at £120 a year,Freesat PVR might come down in prices this year so its up you.good luck:thumbsup:

I'd like to see that in writing from Sky, or at least from a thoroughly reliable Sky agent, if such exists.

Yes you have to sign a 12 month contract to use the '+' functions which is £10 per month.Which works out at £120 a year,Freesat PVR might come down in prices this year so its up you.good luck:thumbsup:

Well thats a shame. I could understand it if I was a new customer who had maybe bought a 2nd hand Sky Box off eBay and just wanted to use the '+' functions. But I've had SkyHD for the last 2 years so think I should be able to downgrade to the £10 per month without signing another 12 month agreement.

I have my PC connected to the TV so might just get a DVB-S card for it and use Media Center. I have 1 month till Sky sub finishes and the wife's told me I must have something in place thats easy to use and lets her record her TV programmes :rolleyes:

think I should be able to downgrade to the £10 per month without signing another 12 month agreement.
So do I, and I back killz187's advice to try and get it.

I'll see what it says in my cancellation paperwork when it arrives in the post and then will phone them up to see if I can downgrade to £10 per month and ask for it in writing stating the T&C's if I can't.

At the end of the day they don't need to give you anything in writing or reference any T&C's.
It's their call what services they offer you - it's not as if you have a right to any kind of Sky service.

I'd say your best bet is as suggested and make 2-3 phone calls and see if it is the general reply from all reps.
If so then time to let it go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom