Question Cancelled sky but still get sky+?

waring192

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We cancelled are horrendoesly expensive full sky package about two years ago as it's far over priced and we don't watch much TV. We had all the channels and multi room etc.

Anyhow, I was watching Poldark last night and pressed pause and it works! Can also record freesat channels also! They are both the High Definition ones but one works as Sky + and the other doesn't? It says 'Live pause is not available. Go to skyviewinghelp.com to upgrade your Sky+ subscription'. Both were one the same multiroom package.

Anyone else getting free sky +? Also does anyone know why one works and not the other?

Really useful info that should have been posted in the Sky TV forum.:rotfl:

Just the Freeview ones. HD and and standard definition. 100% not been paying for it as we cancelled the whole lot and checked bank statements today.

It could be that you post it on a forum & the box gets zapped if it's been overlooked,

So which of the approximately 10 Freesat HD channels are you referring to?

So which of the approximately 10 Freesat HD channels are you referring to?

All of them. The Catch up TV works also but that doesn't effect me much as I use the PS4 for iPlayer etc.

I know that! I meant the Freeview/Freesat ones.
If you know what logi meant, why are you still using the wrong terminology then? So which is it? Freesat, Freview or Freesat From Sky?
Freeview and Freesat have specific 'meanings' and registered trademarks.
1. To receive Freeview you need a terrestrial aerial and a Freeview box/TV.
2. To receive Freesat you need a Freesat box/TV (not a Sky box) and a dish pointing at 28E.
3. To receive Free to Air (FTA) transmissions from any sat you need any old sat receiver (capable of working in a non-Freesat mode) and a dish pointed at your required sat. The EPG will normally not be in the order that you are used to.
1 and 2 are not 100% true, as the FV/FS are available from other sources.

I suspect that waring192 is talking about Freesat From Sky (FSFS) not Freesat (or Freeview) and getting his terminology confused.

Absolutely. Correct nomenclature makes the written word less ambiguous.:facepalm:
As does posting in the correct forum.:D

Hello all,

We cancelled are horrendoesly expensive full sky package about two years ago as it's far over priced and we don't watch much TV. We had all the channels and multi room etc.

Anyhow, I was watching Poldark last night and pressed pause and it works! Can also record freesat channels also! They are both the High Definition ones but one works as Sky + and the other doesn't? It says 'Live pause is not available. Go to skyviewinghelp.com to upgrade your Sky+ subscription'. Both were one the same multiroom package.

Anyone else getting free sky +? Also does anyone know why one works and not the other?
White $ly card present in both boxes? Did the one that records now spend a deal of time unplugged from the power supply or sat connections? Got to say in my experience I thought they ($ly) had set the recording rights on a bi monthly ECM update along with the persons channel rights.

Absolutely. Correct nomenclature makes the written word less ambiguous.:facepalm:

except they are famously well known to be as clear as mud to most... mainly down to their naming.

As does posting in the correct forum.:D

It is in the right section - he cancelled sky & is just using an old sky box for freesat

How would they know who I am?!

I know that! I meant the Freeview/Freesat ones.

They don't need to know, they know the box viewing card is paired with a box not associated with a valid subscription so they download a kill signal to the viewing card. In the past some have left the card out of the box for a long period and found it then allowed recording. Eventually Sky will replace all cards so then it will stop working.

White $ly card present in both boxes? Did the one that records now spend a deal of time unplugged from the power supply or sat connections? Got to say in my experience I thought they ($ly) had set the recording rights on a bi monthly ECM update along with the persons channel rights.

Yep, white card in both boxes. Im not to sure, it might of done. I know it wasn't used for quite some time. Its been 100% been plugged in for over 6 months now though. The one downstairs in the other sitting room has always been plugged in for sure.

They don't need to know, they know the box viewing card is paired with a box not associated with a valid subscription so they download a kill signal to the viewing card. In the past some have left the card out of the box for a long period and found it then allowed recording. Eventually Sky will replace all cards so then it will stop working.

How often do they replace the cards? Its been about 25 months since we stopped sky and had not received a card for about four years before then.

Checked to see if I could get other sky channels and they don't work but the catch up TV works fine via ethernet on the one that Sky + works, the other one doesn't work and asks to upgrade?!

I posted pretty much the same first post of this thread on the sky forum and was banned for spamming?!

We have just the one Sky forum, where I moderate, and I don't recall any ban being applied there.

See post #12:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom