1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelled (and Returning) US Shows!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, May 14, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

The following have now been officially confirmed as cancelled, in the USA! :(

- Point Pleasant
    - Tru Calling
    - Andromeda
    - Dead Like Me
    - Father Of The Pride
    - JAG
    - Star Trek: Enterprise

It's also likely, that "Carnivale" is going to be cancelled too, after disastrously bad ratings for its second season, in the USA! Ironically, the final six episodes of "Tru Calling" will now air in the USA, where "Point Pleasant" used to transmit, which is ironic because "Tru Calling" was originally cancelled, and going to be replaced by "Point Pleasant"!

The following shows may/may not be renewed:
    - Charmed
    - Cold Case
    - Joan Of Arcadia
    - The Office (US version)
    - Navy NCIS
    - Revelations
    - Without A Trace

The following shows ARE continuing:
    - CSI
    - CSI: Miami
    - CSI: NY
    - Alias
    - Boston Legal
    - Desperate Housewives
    - Joey
    - King Of The Hill
    - The Simpsons
    - Malcolm In The Middle
    - Smallville
    - South Park
    - That 70's Show
    - Veronika Mars
    - The West Wing

Veronika Mars hasn't even been bought bya UK broadcaster, but has done so well in the US, that it's become a must-see/must-buy DVD release. The US boxed-set is out in September 2005, with all 22 of the Season 1 episodes.

Pooch

2. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    no more dead like me! crap :censored: :censored: :censored:
    i hope they go broke :mad:

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'm eternally thankful that Veronica Mars got renewed. The reason for the renewal was that a poll was held where fans had to vote to save one of about 20 tv shows which were on the verge of cancellation, and Veronica Mars got a staggering 56% of the vote! VM is definitely the best new thing on TV this year.

24 and Alias were always going to be renewed. both on their 4th seasons and have both revitalised themselves to become really popular once again. Rumours are that 24 Day 5 might not feature Jack Bauer though.. perish the thought!

I'm also glad to see Joey returning for a second season because after a slow start, it did get very funny, and deserves at least one more season. I don't see it lasting 10 years like friends did though.

I really hope the Office gets a 2nd season because although the first episode was terrible, after that it became hilarious, and dare i say it, occasionally better than the English equivalent. It goes so much further into taboo territory than it ever could over here, and i'd like to see more.

I was a big fan of Charmed up till this season, which was hopeless beyond anything i could have imagined. all the emotion that made this series actually good disappeared and you didnt care who lived or died anymore. also, the finale happened half way through the season and the rest was just filled up with stupid filler episodes. if this doesnt make it to season 8 i wont be surprised, but i do really want one last season so it can go out with a huge bang. what if the sisters found out that the day their ancestor became the first witch, she opened up the gates of hell and let demons into the earth, so the only way they can save the world from demons is to go back and stop her from becoming a witch, ending the charmed line before it began, that would be a very emotional finale.

I'm very disappointed Tru Calling got cancelled because i was a huge fan of the first series. The 2nd one had a couple of superb episodes, like one where Jack and Tru's roles get reversed and Jack is asked for help, but in the end had a very disappointing finale which didnt really answer the questions i wanted answered.

I'm also disappointed to see Point Pleasant cancelled mid-season. It was never going to make it to season 2, i could see that, but surely they could have let them finish the story in the remaining 7 episodes instead of just cutting it short?

Any word on Lost yet? What an amazing series it's been, but i cant help thinking that there's only so many episodes you can have set on one little island.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    We need more "The Invisible Man"!

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Amazing, the shows the US axe, and the crap we still get here.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    that day WILL NOT happen !!! i will do some infiltrating of fox studios myself. knew alias was renewed a few weeks ago and both 4th seasons are amazing :D

were have you seen this. there is no official announcment of this from fox ! im confident it will be re-newed but i will wait for announcment b4 i jump for joy

7. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
  8. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,237

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im not too happy about the way star trek is ending. I dont care about enterprise coz i hated it anyway, but i wish they were making a new show.

to be honest anything new would be better than enterprise.

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76

11. PaulaB

PaulaB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope Cold Case and without a trace survive.

12. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Any news about NIp/Tuck, Las Vegas or Deadwood?

13. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Enjoy JAG but to be honest its been on 10 yrs so not really surprised its coming to an end. Really hope that NCIS is renewed though. TVTome indicates that (SPOILER) its being renewed but without Jethro and this seasons finale already says that one of the team dies :eek:

I love Cold Case and Without a Trace and so hope that these are renewed. Only just started watching Charmed but I'm hooked. Catching up on Living as they're reshowing all the series. Haven't seen series 6 or 7 yet so can't comment on whether it goes downhill but at the moment I'm really hoping it gets renewed.

Not really surprised about any of the CSI's, 24, Desperate Housewifes or the West Wing. Enjoy them all. Just getting into Boston Legal but its looking good so far. And love Joey :smashin:

Any news on Two and a Half Men? Also enjoy Las Vegas, Deadwood and Nip Tuck so hope they get renewed. Jeez....so much telly so little time :D

Oh and loved Tru Calling but knew a while ago that this had been cancelled so its had a chance to sink in :thumbsdow

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i doubt they'd kill him off, [possible spoilers ahead]
    but i was very surprised to see how they practically wrote out the whole cast at the beginning of this season so anything's possible. i'd like to see tony take a bit more of the limelight next season. he's an interesting character, not dissimilar to jack, so it wouldn't be much of a departure, and having jack as the lead has become a bit predictable because you always know exactly what he's going to do. if only Tony could learn how to do more expressions, he always looks like he's chewing a wasp..
    [end spoilers]

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Andromeda AND Enterprise - bugger 2 more SF series down the pan

16. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, but they were very, very bad SciFi shows. I do hear that enterprise got better after that new guy started, though?

I cant forgive the yanks for not watching American Gothic - that show was a piece of class.

Russell

17. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have to agree - that show was brilliant. Also enjoyed Brimstone - but they only made one series of that as well, if I recall rightly. Don't know why yanks keep making these 'darker' series - they never last, Point Pleasant being another. It had got to a stage a few years back, where I didn't watch new shows in case they got cut after the 1st series. Now looking at the list, most of the ones I watch are going or may go (admittedly after more than 1 series) - thank god West Wing's still alive. Currently looking at buying a HDD/DVD box, am now wondering if it's worth it - there isn't going to be much left to record :suicide:

Am I the only one who thinks 24 is junk. Watched the 1st series (just), got 2 episodes into the 2nd & still couldn't figure out why Jack hadn't shot his own daughter :confused: :confused: so gave up. :laugh:

18. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Jack's daughter in the second series was intensly irritating.

As for the US not sticking with darker shows, that isn't quite the case. Oz is one of the finest out there and you can get much more grim. As for the Shield, I have no idea why this isn't more well known than it is. After reviewing the third series I bought the first two and I'm hooked.

Russell

19. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    without a trace is a great program we still have yet to see series 3 in this country but i hope they renew it for a series 4 and beyond because its increadibly watchable TV. cold case is good too, both shows are produced by jerry Jerry Bruckheimer and usually when hes involved they get renewed (just like all the CSIs have been)

NCIS is quite good too hope it gets renewed for a third season. maybe its got more of a chance now JAG has ended

cant for the life of me figure out why anybody would waste money in renewing joey

20. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    oooh

21. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    American Gothic was great...

Enterprise has picked up greatly in its final season, though ive read a few reviews that say the last episode is a damp squib, something to do with the Braga and Berman writing it, they lost the ability to do good writing sometime around Voyager

22. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    It amazes me how long they took to cancel the complete dross that is Andromeda, when they cancel something as great as Dead Like Me after two seasons.

I also hope NCIS returns, it's nothing ground breaking but it's a fun show with some interesting storylines and good cast interaction.

Also found this about NCIS:

Chance for NCIS third season already ordered from CBS?

Ed Bark, The Dallas Morning News writes (22 April) that while JAG - the show's older predecessor - is finally ended, CBS already has re-upped "NCIS" for a third season.

I do hope it gets renewed, is it just me or does anyone else think Sasha is hot??

23. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    i think NCIS will return for a third season but get cancelled after a few shows

24. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    great show NCIS a good cast that is fun to watch

25. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    apparently there is supposed to be an American Gothic movie in the works which will basically rehash the story of the first season, much like Serenity will do to Firefly, and if it's popular, American Gothic: Revisited will be made which will be a remake of the first season, with most of the same actors. I don't know if it'll ever happen though, it would be nice but i don't see it. I just want the damn dvd boxset to come out, i think its been listed as a pre-release on one dvd site or another for the past 5 years so maybe one time it'll be real...

26. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, I heard that rumour, too. I dunno if it'll take off, but it might. With all the interest in far eastern horror movies in recent times it may be a good thing to cash in on that same genre? I would love that series to be renewed. There were faults with it - the ghost character was irritating at times, and there weren't enough people clued into the Sherrifs machinations until later on in the series. If the revisited series fixes those problems, and retains the "I don't know if the bad guys are going to win this week" feel, it should be a good'un.

Russell

27. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Is it just me or does Cold Case make anyone else really emotional. It's that bit at the end where the music starts playing and you see the dead person etc etc. I feel the lump at the back of my throat.

Thats whilst I'm killing wild beasts with my bare hands of course and drinking kegs of beer.

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Okay, let me see what I can find out...

Deadwood - Almost definitely (99%) going to a second season, if it hasn't already started production.

Lost - 1st Season is now 25 episodes (as the Pilot Episode was a two-hour/90 minutes special) and the final episode lasts for 3 hours/135 minutes)! Am almost certain that this will go to a second season, because it's done very well in the USA. And JJ Abrams is a very powerful man, who could cause a lot fo problems to a network that annoyed him too much!

Star Trek - As most people know, the whole ST franchise is being rested from TV, though there is one more movie (#11?) on its way, before they stop making any more. I can't say that it isn't about time. The ST franchise does need a long rest, simply because Voyager and Enterprise never reached the same highs as either DSN or Next Generation. It'll return, in three or four years, in some form or other.

Without A Trace - 3rd Season's nearly over in the US. We'll get it on C4/E4 in the Uk, towards late-June/early-July 2005. Season 4 is likely, but I have to say although I loved Season 1, Season 2 was very hit-and-miss. Half of the time, I just felt like many of the characters didn't warrant any emotional investment on my part as a viewer. I think that if it does go for one more season, that it should then be brought to a natural rest, before it dies out badly.

Nip/Tuck -Almost definitely (95%) going to a 3rd Season, due to European TV network popularity, even though ratings in the USA are good. After that, things could be uncertain. (I haven't yet seen any of Season 2, so I don't know what's happened to any of the main characters. No spoilers please, as I'm waiting for the C4 transmissions, which are likely to start in the next 2-3 weeks, taking over from where "Desperate Housewives" Season 1 has been playing.

Desperate Housewives - Season 2 has been unofficially confirmed, but after that, it's anyones guess. Rumours abound about cast problems, and cat-fights, cast refusing to speak to one another, etc, etc (mainly between the lead actresses).

Las Vegas - Possible 3rd Season, but again, a very hit-and-miss show for US viewers. The glitz of a show set in LV and dealing with casino's/gambling just didn't set good viewing figures. It was more popular in the UK however.

JAG - Deserves to end after 10 years. It's had so many different stories, and characters, it shoudl rightfully come to a decent end.

Navy NCIS - 3rd Season is highly likely, but any more than that, and it's very unlikely. Simply put, with "CSI" (and all its offspring), US fans just didn't see NCIS as being the better show. It's very good, but because it's a Donald Bellisario show, (creator of Airwolf, JAG, Quantum Leap, et al), you do have to take some of it, with a pinch of salt.

Tru Calling - this had already been cancelled after just a few episodes of Season 2. Now that Point Pleasant has also been cancelled, Fox are showing the final 6 Tru Calling episodes. Thankfully, UK fans will get to buy EVERY SINGLE EPISODE made, in one, giant DVD boxed-seet, coming-out in about one months time! Plus, there are supposed to be lots of extras in the set, too! Should be good news for all you Eliza Dushku fans! :)

Andromeda - Many people are surprised that this show (and Earth: Final Conflict) lasted as long as they did. It's not surprising that they've both been ended after 5/6 seasons each. (Bear in mind, both were based on Gene "Star Trek" Roddenberry ideas, which his wife helped get money to be made into the requisite shows.)

Firefly - If any of you haven't yet seen the "Serenity / Firefly: The Movie" movie trailer yet, you simply must do so. It's available here! Be warned though - it's 130mb (Zipped) in size!!!

Pooch

29. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    some great info there!

with lost, do you mean episodes 23-25 are the three hour finale, or that episode 25 is 3 hours long, as i realise eps 23-25 are listed as exodus(1), exodus(2) and exodus(3)

im very happy to hear the uk tru calling will have the extra 6 episodes in it, was thinking it'd be crap having an extra dvd with season 2 on seeing as how its so short... shame the uk one will probably cost £50

oh and serenity looks awesome! Gotta love summer glau going all psycho ninja!

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,934
    Great supporting cast, if you know what i mean! :devil: