Cancel Sky to Get Sky+ for £99

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by thejudge, Sep 2, 2004.

1. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me is this has already been covered in this forum.

To take up sky's Sky+ for £99 offer could i cancel my existing sky subscription and resubscribe to sky+ or would they not let me do this?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Your name and details are kept on file so you would need to be seen by SKY as a new subscriber to get the £99 price so I'll leave you to figure out how you do that just to save a few quid:)

3. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go on give me a clue......................

4. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get your missus to subscribe?

5. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can someone confirm this ?

I am annoyed that SKY are doing SKY+ for £99 for new subscribers but a loyal customer who has been paying £40 a month for over 3 years has to pay £140 and £60 installation !

Can I just cancel SKY, and then get my missus to take it out in her name so we can get the new deal ?

Thanks

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Seriously the talk of "Loyal" subscriber will get you nowhere, you are only as loyal as your last monthly subscription, once out of the 12 month contract you can cancel at anytime the fact you choose to pay for a service and SKY provide it is just a simple business transaction and means nothing.

As for new customer deals I'm afraid it's simply good business, offering subsidised deals to new subscribers and tie them into a 12 month contract which then covers the loss made on the hardware and the potential of a long standing NEW revenue source is just plain common sense once the inital "early adoptors" have bought in.

With current subscribers they already have that revenue source in place so any loss made providing further subsidised hardware does not benefit them, they would lose money on the deal.

As for cancelling and signing up under another name/bank account etc well the principle is sound but as with most things in life you do it off your own back and don't blame anyone else if it blows up in ya face:)

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Won't they recognise the house as having benefitted from a previous Sky installation rather than an individual or both!?

8. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Pretty sure they log the address and where the sub was been paid from. If you use a new name and a new bank account for paying the sub. your sorted.

At least that's what i've been told. Works for house moves as well so you don't have to pay the reinstallation charge.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY use the term "Household" as opposed to House/Home which implies the people/family within and not the actual dwelling is the key otherwise they would seriously restrict new subscriptions from the hundreds of thousands of people who move house every year:)

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Is it possible to have 2 sky+ boxes in one house, or combinations. i.e. 1 sky+ box and 2 ordinary boxes? I know NTL allows for a main box plus 3 others. I thought there were only 4 feeds from the sky dish so I guess that's a max of 4 seperate boxes that could be fed. Less if using a sky+ as I guess it would take 2 feeds. Does anyone know for sure? would be interested in having sky+ boxes in 2 rooms.

11. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can come back as a new customer if you have not signed the interactive contract. If you got Sky to install your gear and got free or subsidised equipment, then you have had your share of freebies :-(

I have had Sky for over 2 years, but on a 2nd hand equipment contract. So even though I have been a subscriber, I didn't have the subsedised contract or gear. This means that I am entitled to take up the offer of subsedised gear if I sign the interactive contract.

I eventually got Sky to understand this, cancelled my old contract and got Sky+, a new digibox and dish installed for a grand total of £99 :) I had to sign up for the interactive contract and have the boxes connected to the land line 24/7-365 - but I now have my free/subsedised gear!

And I was about to give up trying to explain this and have Sky+ for £200 odd with installation.

12. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forget the "missus" work-around , not working.. :mad: I've also tried to register with a new name and phone number. Here's what I got when submitted the details...

----------------------------------------------
    One of the conditions of the free digital minidish and digibox offer is that a household can only benefit once from an Interactive Discount. If you or anyone who lives with you has already signed an Interactive Discount Contract (e.g. purchased a digital satellite system or received one of our offers), you will not be entitled to take up this offer.
    ----------------------------------------------

I also tried the code given on another post here (CB99). Didn't work either... :suicide:

13. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like it depends on who you talk to at sky!

I'm gonna try the whole "different name, different bank account etc" and see if it'll work

wish me luck guys....................

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Even the most basic question can get different answers depending upon which CS rep you talk too:)

Don't forget that there is a months notice for cancellation so SKY will have full records until your account is fully terminated so any request for a new sub within that term at property XXX will show a current active sub.

15. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Depends.

If you paid £200 back in 1998 the hardware was subsidised down from something like £360 - £440 (depending upon what you read at the time).
    So you have had the one and only subsidy you are entitled to however if you paid full retail price and didn't have the BIB subsidy you still qualify for one now.

17. Pupster01

Pupster01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    on this deal what box are they supplying?

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Since this isn't a refurbished SKY+ promo offer (like they have done previously) you will be getting brand new boxed SKY+ units either from PACE or Amstrad.

19. thejudge

thejudge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the old.......................... :mad: I'll cancel if i don't get a box for £99 :mad: trick..............

.............it didn't work so i'm back to the old drawing board :clown:

On an unrelated matter does any one know of a decent wall plate for a sky+ connection (i.e. 2 outputs) with an RF connector on too?

20. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it work as an existing customer if i wanted to sign up as a new deal, if it was a different address, my wifes name, differnet phone number, the only thing that would be the same is bank details.

are they allowed to store bank details for anything other than payments?

thanks

21. Nuttynutter123

Nuttynutter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    why not just buy a sky plus box off of the bay and install it yourslef... probs get one for £50 easily.. (get a pace one)
    then just ring them and tell them you have a sky plus box now and they will set it up for you so you can record.