Cancel sky HD before it too late

steve0

Banned
My 30 day period has passed and Ive notice the picture quality on the HD channels are getting really bad. Watched sorted and Gothika last night and the amount of grain and blocking was terrible. I really wish Id cancelled now

Its just like watching normal Tv, no wow factor at all now, just horrible banding and grain.

I feel conned by sky they promised so much and are delivering so little

t1m103

Novice Member
begining to feel the same way!.

thfccambs

Banned
steve0 said:
Don't think your the only one mate.:mad:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
and me...

mark800

Distinguished Member
Yes, it seems to have reached a real low recently. I'm clinging on to the fact that the BBC still looks great.

ollie501

Novice Member
Mr X said:
And I thought it was just me :(
Hell no! Have a read of my gripes HERE rather than repeat the posting, and see what you think...

Indy @ S.E.

I was really disappointed with the movies that were shown, only a handful looked like what I thought HD would be, the rest were barely different from upscaled DVDs to my eyes. I eneded up cancelling the movies after 2 weeks.

The sport however is worth every penny of the £10 subscription, the football is spectacular and the cricket is even better!

But I would agree that on the whole, things arent as we were led to believe first!

Ewoody

The only reason I bought a HD box was just for football and other sports.
I've watched all the football matches to date, they are not on the same PQ level as the world cup yet (perhaps one day) but are substantially superior to the SD Sports channels I've been used to.

Football is worth watching at last.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
take a look at return of the king thats on at the moment, looks fine to me

dvsuk

steve0 said:
My 30 day period has passed and Ive notice the picture quality on the HD channels are getting really bad. Watched sorted and Gothika last night and the amount of grain and blocking was terrible. I really wish Id cancelled now

Its just like watching normal Tv, no wow factor at all now, just horrible banding and grain.

The quality of Gothika (in parts) was similar to that of a downloaded Divx movie - not impressed. In general I think Sky HD is good but nowhere near as good as the hype and rather expensive. Some of the programmes look really good but Channel 5 SD is better than some of the HD programmes on HD channels.

ollie501

Novice Member
MrFurious said:
Yep, that I'll grant you... I watched it in HD a couple of weeks ago, and it was stunning. It's a pity that for every one decent quality films showing, there are a dozen substandard quality ones... over and over again...

youcrazyboy

Novice Member
ollie501 said:
Hell no! Have a read of my gripes HERE rather than repeat the posting, and see what you think...
That is very eloquent Ollie you should start an online petition like this SKyHD DD5.1 one http://www.petitiononline.com/SkyHD51/petition-sign.htmland post it to av forum/ digital spy forums etc to get all HD users signatures and then send it to Sky. There is no excuse for lack of programming and updates. There are a massive amount of shows in the US in HD on multiple networks and obviously thousands of movies. If there is enough signatures it may make a dent. Read on digital spy that lobbying to get Leno/O'Brien shows back on cnbc europe worked...

gerryman62

this is reply from sky regarding pq,i was sorry to read of your dissatistfaction with regard to pq on hd,please allow me to explain,not all films broadcast on sky hd were filmed in hd format,if thay were filmed in standerd format,then we have to show them like this.we will show films in hd quality when passible,please note that unless we reseive the film in hd formatwe cannot broadcastit this way.wot do you think of that would like to :mad: here

ollie501

Novice Member
youcrazyboy said:
That is very eloquent Ollie you should start an online petition like this SKyHD DD5.1 one http://www.petitiononline.com/SkyHD51/petition-sign.htmland post it to av forum/ digital spy forums etc to get all HD users signatures and then send it to Sky. There is no excuse for lack of programming and updates. There are a massive amount of shows in the US in HD on multiple networks and obviously thousands of movies. If there is enough signatures it may make a dent. Read on digital spy that lobbying to get Leno/O'Brien shows back on cnbc europe worked...
Thanks... the petition is an interesting idea, I might look into that. How much notice Sky actually take of it is another matter sadly...

JUS

MrFurious said:
I recorded it the other day...I compared it to the SD DVD last night and couldn't spot a difference (pausing and flicking between inputs. Also tried watching a small section then flicking over and watching the same bit) :(

BBC HD and sport are the reasons I have it...football is unwatchable now in SD.

JohnWH

Novice Member
JUS said:
I recorded it the other day...I compared it to the SD DVD last night and couldn't spot a difference (pausing and flicking between inputs. Also tried watching a small section then flicking over and watching the same bit) :(

BBC HD and sport are the reasons I have it...football is unwatchable now in SD.
Sounds like there's something else wrong here, SkyHD ROTK is hugely better than SD DVD when doing an A/B comparison, this is on a 1080p projector with high end processing and a large screen, although there is also a clear and obvious difference on a 50inch plasma.

What size and type of screen are you using? What input where you using?

John.

zz101

Banned
JohnWH said:
Sounds like there's something else wrong here, SkyHD ROTK is hugely better than SD DVD when doing an A/B comparison, this is on a 1080p projector with high end processing and a large screen, although there is also a clear and obvious difference on a 50inch plasma.

John.

But surely a SD DVD would look particularly crap on a 1080p screen hence the more significant difference?

JUS

JohnWH said:

John.
50" series 58 Fuji. DVD connected via component...SKYHD connected by both compnent and HDMI.

Jules Holland etc looks incredible and are obviously HD....ROTK looked really nice but couldn't spot the diff on the bits I watched...have you got examples of the differences you've seen?

JohnWH

Novice Member
JUS said:
50" series 58 Fuji. DVD connected via component...SKYHD connected by both compnent and HDMI.

Jules Holland etc looks incredible and are obviously HD....ROTK looked really nice but couldn't spot the diff on the bits I watched...have you got examples of the differences you've seen?
The whole movie? Serioulsy take any mid to long distance shot and compare to upscaled DVD for the most obvious cases, you should be able to see the difference on a 50in plasma, not as pronounced as on the pj but still obvious. I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but I'll try and take some pictures at some point.

Edit: Don't do any comparison with teh SkyHD box paused as this halves the resolution.

Cheers,
John.

JohnWH

Novice Member
zz101 said:
But surely a SD DVD would look particularly crap on a 1080p screen hence the more significant difference?
Its not so much the 1080p as the size of the screen (100in) that emphasises the difference, but the difference can be quite significant all the same.

I honestly think that in a lot of cases when people say the quality isn't as good as it was when they first got its just down to the fact that as you get used to the improved quality you get more sensitive to any variation.

John.

JUS

JohnWH said:
The whole movie? Serioulsy take any mid to long distance shot and compare to upscaled DVD for the most obvious cases, you should be able to see the difference on a 50in plasma, not as pronounced as on the pj but still obvious. I don't have a digital camera at the moment, but I'll try and take some pictures at some point.

Edit: Don't do any comparison with teh SkyHD box paused as this halves the resolution.

Cheers,
John.
No I recorded it really just to compare...I've seen the movie so many times I don't really want to sit through all 5hrs or whatever it is :devil:

OK..I'll give it a look again..focusing on long shots...not pauses... :thumbsup: :)

steve36

I've got a Panasonic 42" 720p plasma with an Arcam FMJ-DV27 and I still use ROTK to demonstrate how good my plasma can look, even with standard DVD.
I can not see any difference between Sky-HD and my DVD player on this film, probably due to the high bitrate on the disk.

Steve.

JohnWH

Novice Member
As I was suggesting that others should look again, I thought I would as well, so...

Look at the opening sequence, the general environment is much clearer, e.g. the blades of grass in the foreground in the opening shot, the bark on the tree when the hobit crawls out of the water with the ring, the hobits hairs in close up. For very clear difference the sequence as they ride towards Edoras etc etc. These are definite differences, I will admit that at times its can be relatively subtle on a 50 inch display, on a larger screen its night and day.

John.

gavan

Novice Member
gerryman62 said:
this is reply from sky regarding pq,i was sorry to read of your dissatistfaction with regard to pq on hd,please allow me to explain,not all films broadcast on sky hd were filmed in hd format,if thay were filmed in standerd format,then we have to show them like this.we will show films in hd quality when passible,please note that unless we reseive the film in hd formatwe cannot broadcastit this way.wot do you think of that would like to :mad: here

Assuming that's correct, it seems that Sky are saying that some of the stuff that they broadcast on their HD movie channels is actually just scaled up SD.

Gav

JUS

gavan said:
Assuming that's correct, it seems that Sky are saying that some of the stuff that they broadcast on their HD movie channels is actually just scaled up SD.

Gav
I think sky have missed the point...if you go onto any of the HD channels and pick a programme and press "info you can see whether it is SD or HD....a complaint people have is that the quality of HD programmes is actually getting worse...so they are watching HD but are seeing lots of picture problems...blocking etc...I haven't had it long enough to say whether this is the case..just going by what everyone else has said.

The non-HD programmes shown on SD channels are upscaled...but I'd ignore these and use the standard channels and let me TV do the upscaling.

gerryman62

gavan said:

Gav
well gav thats wot that email says so i take it to be true even if you hit the i button and says hd could well be not hd

sunderland

Novice Member
well if it is this bad i think i will be getting cheap skyHD as the price will drop quite a bit if lots of people are cancelling.

Vince M

Standard Member
Im completely surprised by this,i think the quality of SKY HD is superb!! Are you guys using decent cables_..Mind you,im only using the component out at the mo,though i tested the hdmi first off and thought it looked real clean.

It isnt a match for HD DVD in the ultimate pic stakes,but the bbc hd clips looked very..very good,Star Trek Enterprise looked excellent on a particular space battle.

Im wondering if expectations are too high and folk expect demo quality HD ALL the time,this wont happen of course,the quality of the materiaL WILL VARY.:)

JohnWH

Novice Member
projectiondream said:
Im wondering if expectations are too high and folk expect demo quality HD ALL the time,this wont happen of course,the quality of the materiaL WILL VARY.:)
I agree, people expectations are far to high, the HD DVD release in the US had the same issue of some people saying there was no visible difference to upscaled SD. Basically HD is a relatively small incrementental improvement in comparision to large step from VHS to DVD, this is particularily true on smaller displays.

John.