1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian DVD's

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by videonastie, Nov 20, 2002.

1. videonastie

videonastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently been using www.cd-wow.com & ordered E.T. on Region 1 DVD. It came, but had French (along with English) writing on the back & around the DVD packaging. This annoys the crap out of me!!!!!

Has anyone else brought from this site & has this happened to you?

I was thinking about purchasing the Region 1 Pulp Fiction: Special Edition, does anyone know if this will be the same?

CHEERS.:mad: :mad:

2. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid so. The Canadian Pulp Fiction has french writing (and very crap/flimsy packaging aparently).

I ordered a US copy from DVD.COM , not the cheapest but I had an account with them from a while back. I think it worked out at about £17.50 in total but sturdier packaging and no french writing.

Do a search in this forum for "French Writing". There was quite a hoo-haa a while back about this and someone listed which studios have Frence/English of Bi-Lingual covers in one of the threads.

Apparently its the Law in Canada that there has to be French languge cover available. The best option would surely be English on one side and French on the other so you could choose which one you wanted, but its not that easy on box-sets etc.

3. videonastie

videonastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the CD WOW site they advertise the Pulp Fiction DVD with the Region 1 artwork, does the Canadian version has the same specs as the US version?

4. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link LUX, explains it quite well, although as they said they seem to change their minds as often as the weather.

I forogt to say, I got my Pulp Fiction last weekend (after a 6 week wait from express.com:mad: :mad: ) and watched it on Sunday. I havn't seen it for a couple of years and I forgot how good it is.

Well worth going back to. Travolta and Jackson are just superb in it. Havn't looked at the Extras yet (on the 2nd disc titled 'Pulp Facts, geddit :D ) but the menu for Jack Rabbit Slims is a pretty cool freebie.

6. DVD God

DVD God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn those French Canadians - First they give us Bryan Adams and his evil Robin Hood song, then they screw up our DVD covers. :mad:

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Grill me if you like, but if the disc is the same, what does it matter about the cover!?

ad

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes they drop features to fit a French 5.1 audio track.

The UK version of Monsters Inc had DTS, the Canadian didn't.

9. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the US version had a DTS track either, although it did have and FX-Only soundstrack which was missing from the Canadian version to allow for the Frenchie track