1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian DVD Supplier

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can anyone recommend a Canadian based DVD supplier besides ThunderDVD?

Must take VISA, bill in CAD and ship to Malaysia ... (all of which I can check of course if you give me a hint, I mean, a link). ;)

Cheers,
    Reiner

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Have you tried DVD Box Office @

WWW. DVDBOXOFFICE.COM

I think they are Canadian and their service is pretty good cos they ship to the UK for free.....not sure about where you live though

3. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.dv-depot.com

have a free holding cart to put your pre orders in etc. to get them cheap, whilst you dont actually have to buy them

3 day delivery to the UK costs US$9, dunno about malaysia though, i'm not sure if they have seperate policies.

There is also video-now, but i think they have gone under and are only good if you care about getting the discs cheap and not about delivery time.

Have you tried thunder?
    what are they like?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks guys, will check it out.

Haven't tried Thunder yet, last time I enquired they wouldn't accept Malaysia (Asian) credit cards, only money orders - which would cause a great inconvenience to me given where my new office is located now (don't ask ...).

Anyhow, I send them another email yesterday awaiting their reply - maybe I am more lucky this time.
    US suppliers are too expensive due to the exchange rate which has been fixed at a very poor level. (Used dvdexpress.com (RIP) and dvdempire.com before.)

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hm, no reply from Thunder and DVD Boxoffice so far. :(

DV Depot replied but it turned out they base their prices on USD, i.e. direct conversion into CAD @ the current rate and would also bill my VISA in USD - which either way makes it too expensive; besides, they are not what I would call cheap anyhow and shipping charges (~13USD) is way too high, even though it's via DHL and up to 7 titles (due to customs issues I would normally order 2 only at a time).

Thunder in comparision charges CAD1.50 + 2.50 for every title (shipped by intl. airmail) only. Converting this turns out to be very reasonable then!
    Now they just must accept my CC and they win a new customer ...

6. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

shipping charges are high as it is for 3 day and you won't have to pay customs no matter how many you buy (i can give you more info on how if you email me, i dont want to get them busted on the forum and destroy my source!). Thunder have by far the cheapest prices, but i expect customs would get you much easier with them.

I save up titles to buy until i have 7 with dv-depot.

No charges in CA$, i'm sure they used to, ahh well.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, you got my attention - please email me (yours is blocked).

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check your email

i dont like giving mine out as i keep getting sent crap, cash by fax, leaders needed to work from home and immigration services to US. I dont know how these folk got hold of it, but it ****es me off as i cant unsubscribe. Sorry, enough of that, why do you want a canadian retailer, other than canadian specials (why do they get all the good stuff?)?

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the email, got it - I was also chatting with John from DV Depot on this and other issues though unfortunately the pricing structure cannot convince me.

Reason being: the Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) is fixed to the USD at a poor rate (1:3.80), i.e. DVDs ordered from the US are too expensive as compared to e.g. the prices from 'Thunder DVD' which are listed in CAD and turn out to be cheaper after conversion (into MYR).
    Considering also the cost for shipping of low quantity orders (so not to raise any suspicion at customs) nothing seems to beat Thunder - but they still haven't replied yet so I may try DVD Boxoffice instead (roughly the same price as Thunder for low quantity orders).

10. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good luck in your search reiner, bit of a bastard about currency.

my final suggestion is open a bank account in another country, i.e switzerland, credit suisse do international banking (as advertised on cnn), and order using that (even if they did think i was a yank!!! :( ).

In saying that, it looks like its gonna be another supplier.

If you choose thunder, please let me know how you get on with postage times and customs as i think they are about the cheapest around, but i dont want to risk getting busted for customs.

Not too bothered about hearing about dvdboxoffice, i have ordered form them before, but prices started to rise. So i did not order anymore. Especially after reports earlier this year on the bb that they had completely lost the plot and orders, blamed on the canadian or british, or dutch if i remember corectly postal service taking up to 3 months to come through, if at all.

Maybe this has now been resolved, i should hope so, as steve seems to be cool with them.

Ah, one more thing you have recommended german websites to me before and said you could translate. Have you considered ordering r1 from germany, they openly sold them in switzerland, still cheaper than r2 in Britain :(. I dont think the deutschmark is particularly strong at teh moment and neither is the euro, which most things will probably be priced in, given its imminent arrival.

If you do know oof any reasonably priced german dvd sites, preferably with an english webpage, i'd like to know as they seem to get lots of dts titles nowhere else gets, some with english soundtracks for european harmony...ahhh

anyway, good luck ordering those r1 discs.

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13