Question Can your Panasonic TV play media from USB?

SpoonySpoon

Novice Member
So... I know this is a basic question, but it’s something I’m not getting much answers for online.

I currently have an LG 49 UJ650, which I’ve been fairly happy with. Picture is fine, and turns out it’s a media powerhouse; plays files straight from USB drives, portable hard drives, and my mains powered USB hub even works with it. Plays 4K HDR movie rips as if I’m watching a disc. However, I went over to a friend’s recently, and his top of the range Sony Bravia just would not play a 1080P file from a USB stick, didn’t even recognise there was a USB there. His TV cost thousands, and I bought mine for £400. Y’know?

I’m very interested in the Panasonic TX-65HX00B, but I don’t want to purchase it and then find out my hard drives of movies won’t play through it. I realise people may not own that exact model yet, but if you own a Panasonic TV and it DOES do that, I’ll feel more secure about buying one. Any help appreciated.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Ask Panasonic. Give them the list of file types, or check the handbook. If it’s a ‘yes’, but in fact they don’t play, return the TV.

SpoonySpoon

Novice Member
Ask Panasonic. Give them the list of file types, or check the handbook. If it’s a ‘yes’, but in fact they don’t play, return the TV.
In my experience, customer support chats with big tech companies are less than unhelpful with questions like these, and they will just throw out a blanket “Yes” to most questions.

I also imagine a retailer might not accept “won’t play my pirated copy of Avengers Endgame” as a reason for return. Seems like a lot of hassle to get the TV, try it, then return it, when I’m just hoping to ask around and see if it’s something Panasonic TVs normally handle well.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
True, but you're asking a question without providing any details of the file type, audio and video options and so forth. So right now, I could answer 'yes' or 'no', as could, I suspect, most people here.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
A bit extreme?! If you're happy with the TV but it doesn't play some dodgy file, just get a cheap box that does and plug that into the TV...

SpoonySpoon

Novice Member
True, but you're asking a question without providing any details of the file type, audio and video options and so forth. So right now, I could answer 'yes' or 'no', as could, I suspect, most people here.
I mean, MKV is the most common type, including HDR MKV. I’m not really an audiophile, so that part I’m not fussed on. My drives are formatted to NTFS so my current TV can recognise. I’m sure the guy from the Indian call centre will jus say ‘yes’, as will the sales clerk in the electronics store, I’d rather have some first-hand advice.

A bit extreme?! If you're happy with the TV but it doesn't play some dodgy file, just get a cheap box that does and plug that into the TV...
Well, considering all of my movies & TV shows are on these drives, a TV that can’t play them is a pretty significant drawback. Most recommend the Nvidia Shield as a box that plays from USB, which goes for £200. If I can get another TV like mine that plays media from USB, why wouldn’t I save myself the money?

buddyspudface

does the panasonic have a usb3 socket on it? i also would love to get a panasonic but the hz1500 . its true though with regard being told yes to " everything" im sure they all make coffee as well. ow i love my shield pro 2019. i use it as my emby server and i run my vpn through it to get american netflix. as far a i know no tv lets you run a vpn direct. i could be wrong of course. get the shield anyways its so damn good.

borderman11

Standard Member
Well panasonic TVs dont support DTS codec so no sound if your mkv is dts.
But like it has already been suggested, android box for less tah 50 bucks plays better than these internal players.

SpoonySpoon

Novice Member
Well panasonic TVs dont support DTS codec so no sound if your mkv is dts.
But like it has already been suggested, android box for less tah 50 bucks plays better than these internal players.
The first part shouldn’t be a problem. To my knowledge, my LG doesn’t process DTS audio either, I had that problem once with a file that wouldn’t play audio, then found a different copy and it played fine. That said, every time I play an HDR file it flags up “Audio Not Supported” but then it plays the full audio normally.

I’m not against a cheap android box, I’d just want the assurance that it’ll run reliably and play everything I throw at it. I had a WD Media Box in 2014 that did a fairly good job with HD content, but died after a year.

abeernut

You can download the TX-65HX800B eHelp Operating Instructions from the Panasonic website.
Media Player Video Format support is listed from page 180.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom