Can you xbox guys comment..Which is better? Wii (for £149) or the XBOX 360 (for £99)?

If your older than 12 and like to shoot things and have the time to sit down and play games the 360 is definitely the way forward but if you only have two minutes here and there maybe the wii si for you but all i can say is unless your young a wii is something you have as well as a 360 or ps3.

Tony, I think you need to state what you actually want the console for. You already have a PS3, so that takes care of the multiformat games and Sony exclusives.

1 - Are you interested in the 360's exclusives like Gears of War 2?

2 - What about online play?

3 - Do you play alone at home or do you have family/children who play too?

4 - Are you interested in Nintendo's style of games like Mario Galaxy?

We'd really need to know the answers to these before we can advise TBH.

Got a 360 2 years back, use it every day.

Got a wii for christmas last year, not turned it on once.

Depends what you want from a console.

Got a 360 2 years back, use it every day.

Got a wii for christmas last year, not turned it on once.

Depends what you want from a console.

i'll second that except mine have had both since they launched, i hardly ever play the wii on a regular basis only once ever six months or so when a really special game comes out, such as zelda, ssb:brawl, resident evil umb. chron.

i'll say one thing though don't buy an arcade get the 20gig or 60gig version, a 360 without a hardrive is like a wii without a wiimote

Tony, I think you need to state what you actually want the console for. You already have a PS3, so that takes care of the multiformat games and Sony exclusives.

1 - Are you interested in the 360's exclusives like Gears of War 2?

2 - What about online play?

3 - Do you play alone at home or do you have family/children who play too?

4 - Are you interested in Nintendo's style of games like Mario Galaxy?

We'd really need to know the answers to these before we can advise TBH.

1) I used to play lots of games growing up. PC's, Commodore 64, PS1, Sega mega drive, NES, XBOX 1. - I have been busy for the last few years with work and other stuff and never had time played consoles. I have never played the PS2 or 360. I am now in my late 20's - I jumped straight into the PS3 a few weeks ago and i now play the games everyday! I am not clued up to what the latest games are (yet) I know about Halo as I had that on my XBOX 1 which was fun.

2) I have never played online but i think i will get into this. I was informed that I can also do this with the PS3 which I have but have not tried it yet.

3) - I play the PS3 alone most of the time at present, (the gf watches!!! - im bad!), there are a few games we could play together but i only have one controller at the moment. I will be having friends and family round every other week or so but i dont have any children.

4) - I think i remember the N64 was good like golden eye and mario kart. (these were good). I haven't seen Mario Galaxy?

Most people tell me as I have a PS3 and it does pretty much what the xbox does then the Wii would be better.

If you havn't got it already you will be too late, thy will be all sold out by now.

Which one do you think will be sold out? I asked about the Wii in the Sainsburys by me and they said they had lots in stock and the offer was running for till the 12th i think!

Im getting worried now!

They had 1 single 60GB 360 left when I went to my local shop this evening, I bought the last one. All the Wiis sold out too.

1) I used to play lots of games growing up. PC's, Commodore 64, PS1, Sega mega drive, NES, XBOX 1. - I have been busy for the last few years with work and other stuff and never had time played consoles. I have never played the PS2 or 360. I am now in my late 20's - I jumped straight into the PS3 a few weeks ago and i now play the games everyday! I am not clued up to what the latest games are (yet) I know about Halo as I had that on my XBOX 1 which was fun.

2) I have never played online but i think i will get into this. I was informed that I can also do this with the PS3 which I have but have not tried it yet.

3) - I play the PS3 alone most of the time at present, (the gf watches!!! - im bad!), there are a few games we could play together but i only have one controller at the moment. I will be having friends and family round every other week or so but i dont have any children.

4) - I think i remember the N64 was good like golden eye and mario kart. (these were good). I haven't seen Mario Galaxy?

Most people tell me as I have a PS3 and it does pretty much what the xbox does then the Wii would be better.

1 - Lots of the latest games are mutliformat and appear on both the 360 and PS3. However there are games like the Halo series, Gears of War & Fable which are 360 exclusive. Personally I prefer the 360's exclusives but it's really a matter of taste.

2 - Yep, you can play online on the PS3, and the PS Network is free. You have to pay for Xbox Live but it is the superior service in most people's eyes.

3 - The Wii is a very social console. Stuff like Wii Fit & Wii Sports are great with family and friends. However the other consoles also have social games like the Singstar and Buzz games on PS3 or Scene it? and the upcoming Lips on 360.

4 - Nintendo has a unique style which most experienced gamers love, but they are making less core games these days. Mario Galaxy is one of the best games ever made and is Wii exclusive. Mario Kart is available on Wii and is good too.

I'm a 360 gamer mainly but my daughter has a Wii and it is a good console. With my impartial hat on i'd say go for a Wii to compliment your PS3, as it really does offer something different to what you already have, and is great in a social environment.

Good luck choosing though mate. :thumbsup:

1 - Lots of the latest games are mutliformat and appear on both the 360 and PS3. However there are games like the Halo series, Gears of War & Fable which are 360 exclusive. Personally I prefer the 360's exclusives but it's really a matter of taste.

2 - Yep, you can play online on the PS3, and the PS Network is free. You have to pay for Xbox Live but it is the superior service in most people's eyes.

3 - The Wii is a very social console. Stuff like Wii Fit & Wii Sports are great with family and friends. However the other consoles also have social games like the Singstar and Buzz games on PS3 or Scene it? and the upcoming Lips on 360.

4 - Nintendo has a unique style which most experienced gamers love, but they are making less core games these days. Mario Galaxy is one of the best games ever made and is Wii exclusive. Mario Kart is available on Wii and is good too.

I'm a 360 gamer mainly but my daughter has a Wii and it is a good console. With my impartial hat on i'd say go for a Wii to compliment your PS3, as it really does offer something different to what you already have, and is great in a social environment.

Good luck choosing though mate. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that. I will be deciding quick cus i am being informed that they are flying off the shelf fast and are going to be sold out soon. BUT... does this mean that there will be price war especially with GAME and the other
supermarkets over the next few weeks or months. Maybe I should wait?

Thanks for that. I will be deciding quick cus i am being informed that they are flying off the shelf fast and are going to be sold out soon. BUT... does this mean that there will be price war especially with GAME and the other
supermarkets over the next few weeks or months. Maybe I should wait?

In all honesty the Sainsbury's deal isn't THAT great as no games are included (except Wii Sports with the Wii). Game etc are doing offers with a £40 game included for RRP which ends up being just as good value. I think Sainsbury's will be getting more stock in if they are currently out but I wouldn't worry too much if you miss out on that offer. There may well be more offers to come from other stores, especially after the Sainsbury's and recent Morrisons deals.

You can't really lose this generation, all 3 consoles are likely to succeed long term and all have a broad range of top games. Like I said as you have a PS3 my advice is a Wii, but the choice is yours.

Hmm,

Each to his own. But here are my thoughts.

I own 360, Wii and PS3.

The 360 gets 95% of the use.

PS3 is a good Blu-ray player and has net access. Good to attached to your main TV. OK for gaming. Uncharted, Drakes game has awesome graphics.

Wii, really fun games, party type. Young children and family can all join in. Again, web browser etc. Wii sports is innovative and enjoyable. Resident Evil what an excellent game.

360, best all round gaming machine and best online experience. XBox Live is brilliant. Machine is noisy and is not the most reliable. I am on my third in as many years. But they have picked them up and repaired them for free.

Hi,
Has to be the xbox360. Better games and better graphics. Also "live"

I also have a ps3 which is gathering dust.

You might wanna ask 'the boss' first mate, if she's watching you play games she might be into playing too and the wii may be more her thing. Plus you get Geometry Wars of some sort on both consoles so you're not missing out either way :D personally I'd go for a 360 cos I see it more as a games console instead of an interactive board game but that's just my personaly tastes. Not really heard anyone shout from the rooftops about the wii but from my circle of (real life) friends I know that they suffer really badly when they're away from the box for a while :)

XBOX 360 no question,great value.I sold my Wii after an entertaining Christmas and no use afterwards.My PS3 gathers dust but has far the most use although Gears of War 2 will probably change that.:smashin:

1) Which one is better?

If you want a gaming system to play with others in the same room and/or want to draw in others around you that may not normally play then the Wii is better. Wii sports, the bundled game, is a perfect game for the pick up and play times.
The 360 is a far better machine for personal play and online play (with the premium of Live).

If you have windows MCE or a MCE enabled vista then the 360 also offers a very effective media extender to your PC.

2) Is the Arcade version a cheap version of the 360?

In a way, it is a cheaper version as an initial outlay but if you looked to make up the difference in hardware between the units then the Premium is a better option.

3) As I already have a PS3 does this mean that it would be better for me to get the Wii?

See point 1 really. There is a growing commonality in games and more often than not now the difference comes down to features such as achievements and moreso the Live service (at least until Home actually surfaces and we can finally see if it is a viable Live alternative or novelty front end). Right now if you are keen on the idea of online gaming then there is still a significant advantage to owning a 360. Then look at the games and see if any of the exclusives float your boat... for me the 360 catalogue has some real pearlers to come and I am going to be rather financially challenged over the next few months because of it.

The thing is though that the 360 and PS3 complement one another far less than a Wii and one of those machines, I have all three and in terms of gaming the ratio runs something like 360 90% - Wii 9% - PS3 1% with the PS3 being a video player and Wii more for family get togethers where my mum trounces me on bowling *grumbles*. Because I have the 360 I find very little incentive to use the PS3 for gaming and I know there are posters in the PS3 forum that only have a PS3 that are of a similar mindset, by being the odd one out the Wii complements more.

4) Are they cheaper than this anywhere else?

Think that deal is the top of the tree.

Good hunting!

Last edited:
I have both but only 360 gets use unless friends are round.

In summary, 360 best console for hardcore gamer and Wii for social gaming. The ironic thing is that the Wii should be the hardcore gamer machine, due to it's pedigree but it ain't.

I would say the Xbox as the Wii seems to be a novelty item. My brother(40yr old) got one for Xmas and its not been used since January. He initially played the free Wii sports and to be fair it is a decent party game for novices, but if you have grown up with the game systems you mentioned then I feel you could be disapointed.

I often wonder why Microsoft dont bring out an add on motion system and some party games as this would offer the same as the Nintendo but still retain all the benefits of the Xbox.

I have both but only 360 gets use unless friends are round.

In summary, 360 best console for hardcore gamer and Wii for social gaming. The ironic thing is that the Wii should be the hardcore gamer machine, due to it's pedigree but it ain't.

Agree 360 is ace for playing games on your own or with friends online. Wii is great for playing with friends in the room with you but not so much fun on its own. IMO they complement each other pretty well.

IMO they complement each other pretty well.

That's EXACTLY the point, the OP already has a PS3 so needs to know whether the 360 or Wii would compliment it best.

OP, have you considered the other option, ditch the PS3 and get both a Wii AND a 360? With the current prices you could end up with the perfect combo. Just a thought... :cool:

Hmm,

Each to his own. But here are my thoughts.

I own 360, Wii and PS3.

The 360 gets 95% of the use.

PS3 is a good Blu-ray player and has net access. Good to attached to your main TV. OK for gaming. Uncharted, Drakes game has awesome graphics.

Wii, really fun games, party type. Young children and family can all join in. Again, web browser etc. Wii sports is innovative and enjoyable. Resident Evil what an excellent game.

360, best all round gaming machine and best online experience. XBox Live is brilliant. Machine is noisy and is not the most reliable. I am on my third in as many years. But they have picked them up and repaired them for free.

Echoes my thoughts exactly.

That's EXACTLY the point, the OP already has a PS3 so needs to know whether the 360 or Wii would compliment it best.

OP, have you considered the other option, ditch the PS3 and get both a Wii AND a 360? With the current prices you could end up with the perfect combo. Just a thought... :cool:

Nope, I love the games I have at the moment (Playing MGS4, Heavenly sword and ninja gaiden at the moment) and I love watching blu rays (just bought the Onkyo 606 amp and the Q acoustics 1010i 5.1 package with 1050i front floor standers) so will be keeping the PS3.

Still not sure yet on 360 or Wii. Will speak to the lady and also see if i get get some more comments on here before i make a decision.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom