Can you watch Divx Files through HDMI ?

Kwman

Well-known Member
As the title says can you watch divx files burnt onto CDR or DVDs through HDMI ?

Reason I'm asking is I've tried a few HDMI DVD players, but they all say unrecognised files when disc is inserted, but I tried discs on a couple of non HDMI players and it works.

Anyway HDMI players I've tried so far:

Phillips 5900
Samsung HD850
Toshiba (£80 one)

Is it something to do with HDCP ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

KW
 

cyman

Active Member
i watch div x cdr's and dvd-r's (with lots of files on) through my tosh 350 dvd player all the time. ive never had a problem through the hdmi or the componant. although the component has beter PQ.

hope this helps

:thumbsup:
 

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Yes you can!
That's odd though, I have a Philips DVP5900 and can play DivX through HDMI - it even upscales them.
Shouldn't have anything to do with HDCP as no current material (including DivX) features this yet.
 

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I've had a Denon 1920 with HDMI & it played DivX/XviD.

I currently have a Philips 5900 with HDMI & am happy with the DivX/XviD playback.

What type of files are you trying to play & how are you burning them?
 

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Definately sounds like something odds going on as I believe all the player you listed are able to play DivX through HDMI.
 

max power

Standard Member
cyman said:
i watch div x cdr's and dvd-r's (with lots of files on) through my tosh 350 dvd player all the time. ive never had a problem through the hdmi or the componant. although the component has beter PQ.

hope this helps

:thumbsup:

I have the Tosh 350 also and have not had any problems playing DivX dvd's either. :smashin:
 

unique

Moderator
you can with the samsung 850/950 - altho sometimes i swap to scart as sometimes the aspect ratio doesnt show right on mpg or avi if the black borders are encoded in
 

Kwman

Well-known Member
That is so strange that you guys can all play Divx files and watch through HDMI yet I have problems...

I burn all my files onto CD or DVD using Nero 6.
Anime files are what I am trying to watch...and as I mentioned b4 they all work on non HDMI players...well the 2 players that I have tried, which was the Phillips 5100 and the pioneer 56? player.

I really hope I can find out what is going wrong...its driving me nuts.

KW
 

cyman

Active Member
couple of things. what discs are you using? some players dont like cheap discs.
how are you burning them via nero? you should use nero express and just burn data to cd/dvd.
have you checked to see if the files u are using have packed bitstream as sometimes this can cause problems. this is easily rectified using a free download call mpeg4modifier.

these aren't definate causes but may help. :thumbsup:
 

Kwman

Well-known Member
cyman said:
couple of things. what discs are you using? some players dont like cheap discs.
how are you burning them via nero? you should use nero express and just burn data to cd/dvd.
have you checked to see if the files u are using have packed bitstream as sometimes this can cause problems. this is easily rectified using a free download call mpeg4modifier.

these aren't definate causes but may help. :thumbsup:

How do you check for packed bitstream ?

The discs I use are DVD-R or +R bought from Singapore in a spindle. I don't think the discs are the problem as they work on my pc and the other non HDMI player.

The way I burn onto DVDs is open up Nero then a wizard starts up asking me what I want to do. I choose new dvd then select the appropriate dvd setting ( create iso/??? disc).

An explorer type window opens and then i can drag the files I want onto the disc. When done I just click burn. All settings for burning onto dvd are ok. All dvds burnt are final.

Maybe I should try using nero express and see if that helps...
 

unique

Moderator
Kwman said:
How do you check for packed bitstream ?

The discs I use are DVD-R or +R bought from Singapore in a spindle. I don't think the discs are the problem as they work on my pc and the other non HDMI player.

The way I burn onto DVDs is open up Nero then a wizard starts up asking me what I want to do. I choose new dvd then select the appropriate dvd setting ( create iso/??? disc).

An explorer type window opens and then i can drag the files I want onto the disc. When done I just click burn. All settings for burning onto dvd are ok. All dvds burnt are final.

Maybe I should try using nero express and see if that helps...

it depends what kind of divx files it is your talking about. most dvd players only play up to version 5. sometimes downloaded stuff can be encoded by codecs you machine doesnt support

www.dvdrhelp.com - download gspot from downloads section, its a tiny program you can run and it'll tell you the specs of the files you want to play

then you can download the manuals online for the players your interested in and it'll tell you the types of files they play

you will usually find some 5.1 sound divx files wont play for example
 

cyman

Active Member
firstly just because one player will play your cds/dvds doesnt mean yours will. try a different disc just to rule that out.

with nero open smart suite then click on data cd or dvd select express and just click add files and pick your divx files then burn. very simple

download mpeg4modifier add your file it will tell you if it has packed bitstream all you do is unpack it and save. simple

i use datawrite titanium spindle of discs good price,hard wearing and never found anything that wont play them.

the divx codec may have something to do with your problems but i use the tosh 350 and havent had any issues with any divx files (and i use a lot) with playback.

good luck tracking down the probs. hope this helps a bit

:thumbsup:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom