Can you use Progressive scan on a DVD?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nictry, May 4, 2002.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    OK I am confused, can you actually use prog scand output from a DVD player? I have the Tosh 510e which outputs in Prog Scan, and am looking to link this with a 36" CRT with Prog Scan eg Pana or Tosh, accoriding to HCC you cannot use it from a DVD player and the only way to use DVD output in Prog scan is through a projector etc.

Is this true? If so what is the point in Prog Scan on new TVs? othe rthan the obvious improvement in picture quality, however is this then superior to other 'tweaks' eg Pixel Plus etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and any 'tech' info would be interesting to read?

Thanks in advance, Nick

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    You can use the prog output from your Tosh ... until recently the only prog compatible CRT was the Loewe (AFAIK) ... so if Pan and Tosh are now doing them then thats good ...

The bad news is that only R1 can legally be played under prog ... there may be a backdoor PAL hack for the tosh ... so be aware ...

rds

Jon

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You cannot use the Progressive Scan output from your DVD player (if it has one) to any Toshiba/Panasonic TV's in the UK. Many recent sets have what's known as "Internal Progressive Scanning", notably Hitachi, Panasonic but not Toshiba as far as I'm aware. The internal progressive scanning de-interlaces or line-doubles all images diplayed on the screen (some only NTSC). In actual fact, it's just an alternative to 100hz and sometimes works quite well.

The only televisions that can accept a true progressive signal are those by Loewe, but only through the optional VGA upgrade board and only via VGA. It is possible to get a Component or RGB to VGA transcoder though.

4. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +650
    Thanks Groubdy, I suspected this would be the case. Oh well technology is such a wonderful thing (when you can use it!!!)