Question Can you use any ssd on xbox one x through a SATA to USB adapter?

areebTP

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I have an xbox one x and am looking to reduce the loading time of games. I know ssd are faster and will reduce the loading times for most games significantly. I will not upgrade my XB1X's internal hdd to an ssd because that way my warranty will be void.
Recently, I came up with this idea of buying a 2.5inch ssd from amazon then using a SATA 2.5inch to usb 3.0 adapter to insert in my xbox, since it has usb ports. Will this do the job?

These are the components:
SSD
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-MX...21781&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ssd+2.5inch&psc=1
Adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-comUSB-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable-Black/dp/B00XLAZODE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549021851&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=sata+to+usb&th=1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is this disc enclosure ok for hours of gaming? What is your opinion about the adapter I have posted in the link? I have heard some people say that the adapter gets very hot after 20 minutes?
Regarding improvements in loading times, the games that load data from storage will show a huge improvement in loading times like GTA 5, Hitman, Red dead redemption 2 etc. Remember XB1X has a mediocre 5400rpm HDD.

Don't beleive me? Look at this:
RDR2 loaded almost twice as fast on SSD

I don’t know about that adaptor., I only ever play for a couple of hours at a time but the enclosure hasn’t had any issues.

I have seen all the information on load times etc And things like red dead load quicker, but for quite a few games its 15 seconds becomes 10 or 11 seconds. You don’t get a consistent boost across everything.

Go and look at the Xbox one x SsD video at Gamers Nexus and Digital foundry has something similar. Its going to be hugely dependent on what games you play.

I was just pointing out that before you spend your money its not some night and day transformational upgrade.

The SSD decreases load times on all games compared to a 5400rpm HDD, no question about that.
I will look into this disc enclosure, but people in the review seem to be having a hard time opening it?

The SSD decreases load times on all games compared to a 5400rpm HDD, no question about that.
I will look into this disc enclosure, but people in the review seem to be having a hard time opening it?
I didn’t have any problems with opening the enclosure, you needed to use a limited amount of force but beyond that NP.

What mileage you get out of an SSD will vary, on paper its speed advantage is a no brainer. But what you get in reality is hugely dependent on the game and with some stuff you’ll barely notice the difference. If someone is telling you that it always makes a big difference they are either full of crap or trying to justify what they bought.

SSD vs. HDD Game Load Benchmarks on Xbox One X

Hello guys,
I have an xbox one x and am looking to reduce the loading time of games. I know ssd are faster and will reduce the loading times for most games significantly. I will not upgrade my XB1X's internal hdd to an ssd because that way my warranty will be void.
Recently, I came up with this idea of buying a 2.5inch ssd from amazon then using a SATA 2.5inch to usb 3.0 adapter to insert in my xbox, since it has usb ports. Will this do the job?

Quick answer, as long as the SSD is larger than 250gb any of them will work with a sata-usb adapter. And yes its worth getting one too

You’ve probably sorted this by now @areebTP but, speaking from personal experience I just bought these 2 items last week to help with my PUBG load times on Xbox one S. Buildings are loading a lot quicker and the loot has already spawned on landing, which never used to be the case. Doesn’t get hot and works a treat - I play in 3 hour stints FYI.

My size is smaller than what you’re looking at but I thought it was quite good value over all.

SSD
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicon-Po...=256gb+ssd&dpPl=1&dpID=51D0eaOybdL&ref=plSrch

Enclosure:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELUTENG-En...+enclosure&dpPl=1&dpID=41NPQH6yoPL&ref=plSrch

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom