Can you use a Plasma TV As a PC Monitor in 2011/12

LongStrength

Ex Member
Reaction score
probably better if you use it for gaming .. cant think of any reason it would not be safe ..

Imageburn

If used mainly for gaming or watching movies, then I don't see why not.

However - if you're going to have static images on screen for long periods of time (such as your desktop or if you use software that will have static parts like toolbars displayed all the time), then your biggest enemy is IR (image retention) and this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from even set to set, depending on the settings you use.

If used mainly for gaming or watching movies, then I don't see why not.

However - if you're going to have static images on screen for long periods of time (such as your desktop or if you use software that will have static parts like toolbars displayed all the time), then your biggest enemy is IR (image retention) and this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from even set to set, depending on the settings you use.

Many thanks.

I went with LED to be safe from this.

Which is a shame as some of the HUGE plasma TV's you can get for the same money as much smaller LED TV's is so painful

Many thanks.

I went with LED to be safe from this.

Which is a shame as some of the HUGE plasma TV's you can get for the same money as much smaller LED TV's is so painful

It would have been fine for gaming and films, word processing etc its a no for reasons given already.

I have used my 50" LG via RGB and yeah IR is a pain! It does go after a while but I would defo not use it full time.

I heard it is just not safe to do, and also a heck allot of hassle.

I'm typing this now on a PC linked via hdmi to a 43" samsung plasma. Never had any issues with browsing the web, quite often for a few hours at a time, without any image retention or screen burn. My last plasma would leave traces of image retention (browser menus and so on) for about 30 minutes or so.

As for being hassle, it's just a case of fitting a pc with a hdmi graphics card.. in other words quite easy.

The only problem is that some plasma tvs seem to be more susceptible than others to image retention and until they have been on sale for a while there's not a lot of real-world user feedback on this aspect. If people with the same/similar model of plasma tv are reporting image retention then don't get that model.. if you go the plasma route just keep the brightness & contrast down at halfway to start with to keep image retention to a minimum..

I'm typing this now on a PC linked via hdmi to a 43" samsung plasma. Never had any issues with browsing the web, quite often for a few hours at a time, without any image retention or screen burn. My last plasma would leave traces of image retention (browser menus and so on) for about 30 minutes or so.

As for being hassle, it's just a case of fitting a pc with a hdmi graphics card.. in other words quite easy.

The only problem is that some plasma tvs seem to be more susceptible than others to image retention and until they have been on sale for a while there's not a lot of real-world user feedback on this aspect. If people with the same/similar model of plasma tv are reporting image retention then don't get that model.. if you go the plasma route just keep the brightness & contrast down at halfway to start with to keep image retention to a minimum..

Easier than that, you can get adapters, no need for a new card.:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom