Can you use a mac/I-pad for kids homework?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PulsarPilot, Jul 28, 2012.

1. PulsarPilot

PulsarPilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    A friend of mine is thinking of getting a mac and an I-pad for their son who is at primary school. I've advised them that they would probably be better off getting a windows laptop, due to compatibility issues regarding the homework, and general 'kids stuff'. Just after a bit of backup to make sure I'm not talking rubbish:rolleyes:
    Sorry, but I've no idea what the homework consists of.

2. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Buy a mac. It will still let the kids go on all the websites they use in school and if you install Microsoft Office it will still do all the work like a PC. The main thing is he reliability of a mac is far far better then any Windows laptop on the market. Plus if you get a Windows 7 DVD you can bootcamp the mac and run windows as well, or even just windows if you so desire. Please don't be daunted by the idea of bootcamp it is a very easy process and there is a step by step guide on the apple website of how to do it as the bootcamp software is built in to the mac already. Trust me once you get a Mac you'll never look back!!!!!

3. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PS. My better half is a high school teacher in the UK at a normal high school and they have all been given ipads to use for lessons in class on a one-to-one and class basis. All the classrooms have been fitted with Apple TV's connected to the existing whiteboard system.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    I didn't know Apple made ruggedised laptops that are guaranteed to handle a child friendly two and a half foot drop and remain fully functional (all available for less than the price of a macbook pro, e.g. Panasonic Toughbook CF-53/CF-52).

This question is more about a knowledge of what homework is given these days so it'd probably be best to ask in something like the Lifestyle forums. I'd concur with your assessment that Windows is a better bet because it's guaranteed to be supported but how much they'd have to rely on the school computers rather than being able to use a Mac OS laptop at home will depend on exactly what homework is being given.

5. atki81

atki81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For the types of homework they get at primary school go onto this website Primary Resources - Free teaching resources, lesson plans, teaching ideas & worksheets for primary and elementary teachers and it's shows all the core aspects of what kids learn at primary school. I use with the kids to help them with some of their homework, and before anyone says anything do you remember learning about Phonics at primary school or what BODMAS is? Obviously you won't need this website for everything!!!

6. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    How will the mac/ipad print onto the kids homework books ? ;)

7. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    Unless your mate's sons school uses specific educational software that is Windows only, getting a mac should not cause compatibility problems seeing as you get MS Office for Mac etc and general research can be done via the internet etc.

Saying that, despite primarily being a OS X user (which IMO is a great OS and I do like their hardware which IMO is fanstastic), considering the age of the child and the inevitable punishment they will give a computer (spilt drinks, sticky stuff dropped on the keys etc), I would probably have to go with suggesting that your mate buys a cheapish Windows lappy for circa £300-500

8. PulsarPilot

PulsarPilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the replies.
    Another friend has an I-pad, and his kids have to fire up the old laptop to do their homework on, plus my brother's kids (at secondary school) have had problems doing their homework, as they don't have MS office on their home pc. I'm probably a bit anti-Apple, as I hate I-tunes, but a Mac seemed an odd choice to me for a child.

9. PulsarPilot

PulsarPilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Cheers, didn't realise you could put Office on it, I presumed you'd have to use a compatible program which may have been less than ideal.

10. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    There has been a mac version of Office since Office '98 (the mac version comes out a year after the PC version so Office '10 is Office '11 etc)