can you use 3 mifi to connect the xbox to xbox live?

pjc12

Standard Member
hi im just wondering whether it is possible to connect an xbox 360 wirelessly to xbox 360 using a wireless 3 MIFI dongle?:lease:

fozziebear39

Well I have just tried it and it does work. It came up with a message about only moderate something (NAT?)

I have slow broadband since moving to mid wales. 6 months without playing my beloved PES 6. It is the only game I play on live. A couple of games every evening. The speed I get from the MiFi is twice that of my fixed line broadband.

Great :thumbsup: my only problem is can anyone tell me is this good for using Xbox Live on? How much data will it use for a 10 minute game. It's hard to gauge using the 3 web site account thingy. I am on 5GB a month contract.

Cheers

juglandblues

My mifi works fine now, i had to go into the 3mobilewifi page and change the upnp setting, the password is Admin.

Not sure if it was that that done the trick but it was what live said too try. Played a couple of games over live with it and not had any problems yet

fozziebear39

My mifi works fine now, i had to go into the 3mobilewifi page and change the upnp setting, the password is Admin.

Not sure if it was that that done the trick but it was what live said too try. Played a couple of games over live with it and not had any problems yet

What did you change in the upnp please?

juglandblues

i just clicked the enable box, saved the settings then turned the mifi box off then back on again. To be honest im not sure what im doing but it was recommended to enable it.

Im sure there is a glitch about it changing from 3g to hsdpa because it has disconnected me from live once and a quick google came up with it. I think you can upgrade the firmware and that cures it but i havnt really looked into it much

juglandblues

as a wee note, since playing live using mifi although i haven't had any problems i think the latency with mobile broadband could be an issue when playing some game like call of duty.

beasty54

Distinguished Member
as a wee note, since playing live using mifi although i haven't had any problems i think the latency with mobile broadband could be an issue when playing some game like call of duty.

Its a massive issue with any mobile broadband because your pings will be through the roof. Nobody should be connecting to LIVE using mobile broadband since it just ruins it for others.

juglandblues

Its a massive issue with any mobile broadband because your pings will be through the roof. Nobody should be connecting to LIVE using mobile broadband since it just ruins it for others.

What gets ruined for others? My internet is terrible, thats why i use mobile broadband. Games like COD are clever enough to only let you into a game with other users who have comparable ping times. Its maybe not ideal but since bt are useless and cant offer me a good service then its all i have.

Its not like live uses vasts amounts of data so im struggling too see why it is ruining it for you. Check out some of three's advertising, they even mention using there mobile broadband for online gaming.

OpticCookie

Standard Member
I had to register and reply to this... I log into XBOX LIVE with a USB Dongle from 3 (plugged into the laptop)... It works superb, there are some games that require a lot of data and this slows only your own experience.

The only time it can affect other gamers is if you become the host of a game, again depends on the game you're playing, your signal strenth and download speeds on the dongle (mine is up to 7.2mbps) I can get speeds up to 3.2mbps but never really any higher than that.

COD MW2 works a gem
FORZA 3 is pretty good but you really need the new dongles (not those with up to 3.4mbps).
BATTLEFIELD 2 works brill too

Most games work fine, but then not every game out there is enjoyable to play over LIVE.

:thumbsup:

L3TH4LKISS

Standard Member
Internet isn't available in my area (desert/boonies) and a friend of mine has mifi in her home... I'm considering getting it too, but only want it for gaming. Since the above posts support the idea that mifi is XBL compatable, my only concern now is data usuage. Dosen't XBL use up a lot of data? & is 4-5G / month enough to play or should i expect to face overage fees?

:lease:

Thanx in advance...

-Becky

OpticCookie

Standard Member
I've moved onto mifi and it works fine, 5gb will give you 2-3 hours a day minimum but bare in mind updates you sometimes have to download. If you have an iphone or laptop u can check your remaining allowance using my3. Get a rolling 1 month contract to start and see how it goes would be my advice. I get a little bit of lag on black ops every now and then but it's not that noticeable (depends on the signal you'll get I guess too). Hope this advice helps :smashin:

x Dr Vodka x

anyone know a way of opening the NAT on these things ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom