Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can you upgrade/configure a laptop to be used as a PVR?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mathew14475, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Mathew14475

Mathew14475

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony's V1 and GigaPocket software boasts that it can be used to record from the TV/Sky via its TV IN/OUT connection and can e programmed to record at set times etc (Like a Sky PLUS box I guess).

Is there anything available to upgrade a Laptop (PCMCIA card) with TV IN/OUT and can you get the software to allow programmable recording?

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Your best bet would be some kind of USB TV Tuner. I'd suspect if you go the USB route, you may be stuck with whatever software ships with the unit.

If the USB devices use the same chipsets as the various PCI based TV cards, then you may be able to use third party software.

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,602
    http://www.nebula-electronics.com/information/info.asp?Code=0002

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the USB version of this, but i have the Pci version and it's an absolute stormer !

No sky as it's a Terrestrial freeview adapter, but for normal TV viewing/recording it really takes some beating..

The VCR function is a peach, even has OTR like a regular VCR.
    You can just set it recording and it splits programmes into individual Mpegs, so no worries about over-runs, schedule changes etc.

Files are recorded at DVD quality, so you'll need either a big hard drive or regular archiving to DVD etc

:)