Can You Un-format a DVD?

Fortesque

Standard Member
If I were to transfer from the hard drive to the DVD, I understand that to allow a DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or a DVD+RW disk to be played on another machine it first needs to be finalised. . If I transfer one of these to these to DVD and finalise it can I un-finalised the disk when I get it back? This would allow me to add other programmes (DVD-R and DVD+R) or record over them (RW disks).

Thanks

[Mod Comment: I have removed some text as it concerned potential breach of copyright laws:end Mod Comment]

alan sh

Novice Member
the DVD +RW and the DVD-RW can be re-used. The DVD +R and DVD -R cannot.

I think DVD-RAM can also be re-used (it doesn't need to be finalised)

Alan

ChainsawDude

Novice Member
The machine is a Panasonic EX75.
With Panasonic, the answer is no you cannot unfinalise.

You must reformat a DVD-+RW once it has been finalised and start over again. Some other makes do allow you to unfinalise but that is no use to you.

DVD+-R can never be unfinalised.

Fortesque

Standard Member
Thats good. I will just use DVD-RW disks and re-format them. I could also use DVD-RAM if the other persons machine can take them.

ChainsawDude

Novice Member
I recommend DVD-RAM for Panasonics, I never use anything else with mine.

Have you ever noticed that the DVD-RW recordings you make with your Panasonic are sort of squashed up with black bands at either side of the picture and people appearing much taller and thinner than they really are?

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Quite a few PC writers will now also read DVD-RAM discs but the ONLY domestic DVD Players which read DVD-RAM are thlose made by Panasonic, JVC and NAD.

Of course these RAM discs can also be read on the DVD recorders manufactured by Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung. Maybe the new Sony's will also read RAM but not too sure about this.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom