1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you turn off the Natural Motion feature while in the Pixel Plus mode on the 9617?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Nick23, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I went into my local John Lewis on Sunday, and had a good play with the new Philips 32PW9617 for about 30 minutes. While I was impressed with the Pixel Plus, I don't like the Natural Motion thing as it makes the picture too smooth between frames of the image. The picture doesn't have the Natural Motion thing when it is set to 100Hz scanline option, but when on P+ I couldn't see an option to turn off the Natural Motion.... can you turn it off while in P+ mode?

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can't.

It might be possible to turn it off in the service menu, but I haven't looked yet (and wouldn't bank on it). For what it's worth though, you do get used to the smoother motion, although I admit it's a little off-putting to begin with. The resolution boost and frame compensation seem to work hand-in-hand, so I'm not sure if you can have one without the other....

(the instructions and menus certainly don't shed any light on this matter BTW).

3. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P+ is a 75Hz mode and as such requires DNM to create the new frames.

The service menu doesn't have an option to disable DNM either.

Some find the smooth motion a little strange but you should become accustomed to it after a short time. The judder and blur associated with film images in the cinema and on TV is not the way the film is intended to be seen just that its the only practical way until motion compensation became reasonably practical at consumer level and digital cinema projection systems were developed.

The normal characteristic apparence of film that we all have become used to is actually artifact ridden and not natural or correct at all.

Digital Cinema DLP systems don't look like normal cinema because they don't repeat images and thus don't have the characterist judder and blur of 'normal' film projection. So if you don't like the smoothness of DNM then you may not like the future of cinema either! ;-)