Question Can you turn off Media Player display Picture settings

chaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi I hope this a simple question to ask I own a Egreat A8 which is the same as the A5 on mostly on everything that the A5 does. Now this what I wish to know when I go to display ( I turn off the imprex engine )what I have next is still display settings which from memory picture is standard the next is other settings like contrast @50 etc tint 50. Two years ago I had my TV calibrated by a professional company @ a cost of over £500 which I like but will update it to the latest Samsung 9N series next year which once settled in will also calibrated the same as the projector as well. At the moment my Tv is connected via the amp but my A8 goes through via HDMI into the TVs One connect box and the TV is connected via optical on the amp. Now this the big Q I hope you can a answer to if I play a film though the Media Player does it do it via Media Players settings or my profeshnaly TV settings. Now if I have to go through the media player display settings to watch a film I will be not seeing it at its best because the media display is overriding my expensive professionally calibrated TV. What I want to know is there a way I can override the Egreat picture display settings so I can see the via my TV picture setting

All media players have their own output settings which is then filtered through the TV's output settings but the good ones at least should output an accurate image without any post processing effects applied leaving the TV to do the job.

From what info I can find the Egreat A8/A5 series run highly customized software, the imprex engine so to speak, by default various post processing effects are enabled, there is a guide here (see using imprex 2.0 engine section) in disabling these and getting a more accurate output.

For an stock accurate output the egreat series do not seem a great choice, you may want to consider a different media player if you cannot override the egreat display settings as in the link above.

Hi Next here is 3 phots of the Egreat player the first is Display settings the second one shows the Imprex Off and the 3rd in advanced settings which you can see in the second Photo Does this help me being able to reset in advanced settings as much as I can on my professionally calibrated TV the only thing I can see that I can not change or do not know how to change is where it shows display " Standard and the only other thing on the professionail settings I can not see Chroma or Sat or Hue Thanks again Next

Attachments

• 20181007_095520.jpg
    20181007_095520.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 20181007_095454.jpg
    20181007_095454.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181007_102538.jpg
    20181007_102538.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
I took at a look at what the manual says are the imprex engine settings as seen in pictures, pages 42-45

In the "Display Mode" you have built in presets, standard, colourful, sport, theater and user defined, it's possible standard is the neutral setting, but I cant tell from looking at a manual.

Then further down after display mode you have more settings

display mode = full screen
intelligent colour = set to off
dynamic contrast = should be off
sharpness = 50 may be default value, unsure if this is neutral no sharpness setting, if you set it lower does image get noticeably blurry ?
noise reduction= should be off
mpeg noise reduction = should be off
motion compensation= should be off
HDR Saturation - set to off if possible (fake HDR I think ?)

The manual does a terrible job explaining any of the settings.

I must admit Egreat are not very good at explaining things This is my professional Calibrated TV
Picture Mode = Movie
Backlight = 14
Contrast = 100
Brightness = 46
Sharpness = 0
Colour = 50
Motion Plus = Blur Reduction = 10
Judder = 0
Others are the more advanced features that the calabrater does with a very expensive bit of Machinery that is why I want to do keep as much of my Picture Q as I can Next When I decided to buy one of these media Players I could not have chosen one of the worst Players to learn from its been a long learning curve I can tell you even there last OTA software Ereat that be should safe as it should have been thinking it was safe. But Egreat strikes big time there latest software is full of bugs and there are a lot of unhappy Egreat customers at the moment. Also The company are on National Holiday aging and everything in China closes down!!! I did not Know the Chinese had so many Holidays !!! You always come to help me Next when ever I need it and always manage to sort it out for me which I will always be very grateful Next for what I do not understand or can not do. I was so worried about losing my picture settings as also I will be replacement TV next year i might also get a other media player if there is a better one out there. The Stupid thing is the Egreat player is very well made. and has the picture Q is the best the only bad thing is is there software & Android 7 I think either they have poor Software engineers and paying poor money.Because last year the software was good & reguler. Anyway have a good week Mate and Thanks for what you have done and taking your spare time to help. Thanks for everything

Boxes like egreat are made for the Chinese market, they are more of an after thought being sold over here.

If your going to move away from the egreat box and use a NAS just get an AppleTV 4K, it's simple, high quality and has an untouched accurate output, along with various bells and whistles (24hz, HDR, Dobly Vision/Atmos, PCM 7.1 audio, RGB/YCC 4:4:4 out), choice of media players etc.

If you have all your media on a NAS just buy InFuse from the app store point at the NAS folder and it will auto generate a media library.

Just looked @ infuse I do not own anything apple Never liked there stuff I found these in advanced settings I mean over £1,000 for a phone GOOD GRIEF :facepalm::eek::eek::nono: Plus if you Next How do you turn off Vidron that is if you know of course the only thing I have is Samba do not know if I can download my art from that as it connects to my PC. Is there a other media player to try rather than Apple that comes close to what I want and easy to set up please Next if not i will go for the apple what size of hard drive can it take ?

Attachments

• 20181007_102538.jpg
    20181007_102538.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20181008_095826.jpg
    20181008_095826.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20181008_095858.jpg
    20181008_095858.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
The Apple does not have space for an internal hard drive, you stream all media from the internet or across your internal network.

I am also new(ish) to Apple having bought a MacBook a few years back when I started supporting them at work. Then recently got myself an iPad as I now support them as well. Most recently (past 2 weeks) I have got the AppleTV 4K which is my main media player. But I still keep my Android mobile phone as I'm not willing to pay so much for a phone.

Mark.

I see they are now having problems with there Very expensive £1000 Plus :( I would never spend that Much or get up in the morning @ sod it o clock to Q for one either:eek: I stick to my samsung or this up and coming one that is seem to doing well ( which I can not remember the name). I know my wife wants a i pad because she can not get on with android so that will be her main present @ Christmaso_O What do you think of the advance settings that are above would serve my goal about my TV

The AppleTV 4K and Nvidia Shield (Android equivalent) both cost near the same price, roughly £180.

Unlike the AppleTV which is NAS only for your media the Shield can use an external USB hard drive.

Media players with internal hard drives are no longer common at least units made by the big companies, you can still get stuff like the Zappiti players who I believe are French and there is an active support thread for those in this sub forum.

But any android box with an HDD drive bay is an unofficial device, the Shield is the main official AndroidTV set top box.

The AppleTV 4K and Nvidia Shield (Android equivalent) both cost near the same price, roughly £180.

Unlike the AppleTV which is NAS only for your media the Shield can use an external USB hard drive.

Media players with internal hard drives are no longer common at least units made by the big companies, you can still get stuff like the Zappiti players who I believe are French and there is an active support thread for those in this sub forum.

But any android box with an HDD drive bay is an unofficial device, the Shield is the main official AndroidTV set top box.
Sorry to bother you again but I took some photos from my Egreat Player in the advanced settings should i use them as well as seen above also in the settings what do they mean by this:can not see this on settings on my calibrated TV or on My actul MY TV
CHROMA
SAT
HUE

Sorry to bother you again but I took some photos from my Egreat Player in the advanced settings should i use them as well as seen above also in the settings what do they mean by this:can not see this on settings on my calibrated TV or on My actul MY TV
CHROMA
SAT
HUE

They look like Android OS settings, I don't know what the correct values for those are I'm afraid, they are all at 50 which I'm guessing is a neutral/default value.

Many Thanks yet again Next I am of to Malaysia in 5 weeks but when I get back near Xmas will look at this Apple thingy and others for back up on my egreat player in case everything goes tits up with them. I see on here and other sites I see loads of people have more than one media can you tell me why is this? I am only getting a second one just in case my ereat goes but I see some have up to 4/5 media players why?

The Apple does not have space for an internal hard drive, you stream all media from the internet or across your internal network.

I am also new(ish) to Apple having bought a MacBook a few years back when I started supporting them at work. Then recently got myself an iPad as I now support them as well. Most recently (past 2 weeks) I have got the AppleTV 4K which is my main media player. But I still keep my Android mobile phone as I'm not willing to pay so much for a phone.

Mark.
So Mark When I copy my films to Make MKV how do I get them on this Apple thing ?

For multiple media box owners some people might have more than one for different purposes or simply hold onto them as they replace one with another.

For the AppleTV this is a network server only device, media players can either read a shared network folder or connect to a media server. The server can be your PC or a NAS (network attached storage).

You can try it out yourself, install Plex media server on your PC, create a movie library in Plex using a folder on your PC with 1 or 2 movies generated from MakeMKV, now install a Plex client on your TV (Samsung should have one in their TV app store), once connected up it will stream the .mkv files from the server to the TV.

(Plex has gotten awfully pushy recently trying to make people sign up to Plex pass just ignore those prompts, if you want a setup guide read this, skip to step 2 to begin)

If you like the end result you don't even need an AppleTV though the TV Plex media player may not support some advanced features like bitstreaming audio, HDR, 24Hz etc that other boxes can do.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom