1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you that with the Sony NW-HD5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by captainnorth, Aug 22, 2005.

1. captainnorth

captainnorth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    I recently borrowed a Packard Bell AudioDream MP3 player from a friend from work as she's going on holiday and she wanted me to transfer some music onto it. The thing is I cannot believe how easy it was to transfer music onto it.
    Rather than having to use any specific software off the driver disc all I had to do was plug into into the USB socket via the cable, then go into "My Documents", click on "My Music", highlight a track, click the right mouse button, go down to the menu to "Send to" and then select "removable disc" from drive E (i.e. the MP3 player). The track was then transferred to the player and that was it...well easy.
    In a way, it worked just like a flash drive.
    So what's this gotta do with the Sony NW-HD5?
    Well basically I've been after the NW-HD5 (black version) for a while now. There seems to be different views regarding the SonicStage software and what I want to know is can you bypass the software and just transfer tracks from My Documents like I've done with the Audiodream?
    Hope this makes sense.
    Many thanks
    Captain North

2. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, you can't. There are alternatives to SonicStage; do a search on "Vaio Music Transfer" or "MP3 File Manager". But you do need software to transfer music to the HD5. If you just copy the files through the file system, the HD5 will not play them. There's a brief explanation here.

Andrew

3. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well your going to be disappointed. Instead of right clicking on the files and selecting send to you will have to...

1. Load up Sonicstage.
    2. Select the album/tracks you want to copy to the Hd5 in the left panel.
    3. Press the > arrow.

Keeps me up all night thinking about how difficult this is. Don't buy the HD5 cause you will not be able to just send instantly :). I bought one but I don't know how I get by.

4. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends what you want to do with you DAP as to what is "easier".

I only started using mine last night, transfered a few files as described above. Then ripped a few more CDs (not paying much attention to what I was ripping really, just working down a pile).

Then I hit the "Auto" button on SS3.2, and it told me what I hadn't already transfered. Far easier than me trying to remember what it was that I just ripped for a directory.

But that is just my user experience. Although I suspect it is closer to what Sony thinks someone "should" be doing ?