can you "tape" a dvsa disk and how

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mick23, Feb 5, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    purchased yes-fragile on dvda, played in dd 2 sterio and dts etc,
    i have not got dedicated dvda player,just standard dvd player linked via coax only to 3802

mate asked me if i could "tape" yes dvd for him, i tried this with cassette and md recorder,

tried using direct connection (coax -md) phono to cassette deck,all to no avail, cannot get md or cassette deck to register a "record level"

is it possible to record from (dvda disk and how) or is this a dvda copy protection issue, or something to do with (digital and anolouge)

your advice please

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Mick Im not sure about DVD Audio but I currently record from DVD Video via the analogue outputs on my DVD player straight to my Sony MD deck, then I select Analogue input and set the recording level to the correct level : hey voila fantastic sounding copies. You cannot copy digitally I believe because DVDs sampling rate ie 48Khz is 4 Khz higher than normal PCM for CDRs or MDs at 44.1Khz, so it wont recognise the signal as it is higher than it can cope with, Im not sure what level of PCM output DVD Audio outputs ie 96Khz or downmixed 48Khz (ie the same as DVD video) so any higher resolution than 44.1 and it is as useful as a fart in spacesuit as the MD/CDR deck cannot use it anyway.

HTHs simply run your analogue ICs from the Front Left & Right 5.1 outputs straight into your Tape/MD loops “In” RCAs and you should be off & running (I think).

BTW I have seen conflciting advice about the level of PCM output from DVD Audio when playing Multichannel 5.1 96Khz tracks or 192Khz stereo tracks, I think the level is tied to the DVD video standard in that it can only go to 2 Channel 24/96 or 48Khz multichannel mixes via the SPDIF RCA output, the new firewire IEE 1394 connection by Pioneer does send the whole resolution level ie up to 192Khz but there is some type of copy protection on that signal so it cant be pirated (to stop fine fellows like yourself & me from copying digitally at the higher levels).

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks cj
    i had another (go) at taping dvda today, the problem before was that i had (dvd setup set to bitstream) so i altered to 2 chan a/log,
    then had (phonos connected directly to cassette deck) but still with coax from dvd player to 3802, the "sterio " sound from speakers though was not particularly good,

have not tried md yet
    this months hfc has item on dvda disk (yes-fragile) and states it gives good reproduction in (sterio mode)
    dvda disk has dd5.1 and dts surround modes also dd 2 sterio.

i set dvd player to dd2 sterio, and set 3802 to (direct mode) not sure if this is the (right setting re dd2 ) or should it be 5 chan sterio,pl2 music mode??? as my dvd player is only budget "tosh sd110e" i might be expecting to much,

thanks again cj ps when you do get your demo of unico remote would be interested in opinion

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ahh Mick its now becoming apparent, you have bought a DVD Audio hyrbid disc but are using your Tosh 110 for the DVD Video content ie DD 5.1, DD 2.0 & DTS mixes. Well your DVD should be creating a downmixed stereo output from its RCA audio outputs when you are using the DD 5.1 mix, Avoid & I repeat Avoid the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix, I for the life of me don’t know why these are still included as mixes on DVD discs, much better sounding are 16/48 PCM tracks or the downmixed 5.1 DD surround mix into stereo, this should copy fine via the RCA output IMO.

The Unico remote is still high on my priorities this year but a house extension is putting my hifi twaeking on hold for a while, I also have a 300 mile round trip to get a dealer who will give me a demo, here is a very nice review & pictures of the Unico in alls its glory you may be inetrested in from the HFC forum.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/unisonresearch/unico.html

I have heard nothing but positive vibes about this Amp Mick from many quarters.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks cj
    tried dvda with phono to dvd player+md it taped ok,
    as this dvda disk is the only one i own, even when playing in ddts or dd5.1 mode using coax still does not sound that good,

some time ago i hired (the talented mr ripley r2 ) and as far as i can recall used dd5.1, in the opening scenes a woman was singing, and this sounded really brilliant, was well impressed,

just learned from hfc mag,that scad disks have a (cd layer) so can play on cd player unlike dvda disks might try this in future

re unico saw your thread on hfc, dealers of unico are (thin) on the ground , local dealer does unison research but not (unico model)

he always tries to persuade me that (densen beat 100mk5 ) is the one to go for, but having demoed was not (blown away)

thanks again cj