1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you switch off a scart signal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by markbigears, Apr 26, 2004.

1. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Got a bit of a problem, my plasma shares AV4 with both a component signal and a scart. Having plugged up the plasma and got the bloody thing on the wall i find i have no video signal coming out of the component. A phone call to panasonic reveals that scart takes priority over component and is a physical connection. Thing is the scarts are very tight and to remove the scart from the plasma will involve taking the plasma off the wall.
    Is there anything out there that can fool the plasma into thinking that there isnt a scart in the back of the panel? Any help greatly appreciated. Mark

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    If it's the same as the shared SVHS & CVBS on the Pana monitor models then it would do it even if there was nothing on the other end of the scart lead. So I can only assume it has to do with the physical connector being in the plasma which senses the pins or the outer casing being in there rather than a signal coming in via the cable....

3. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    liam,yes thats what panasonic are saying. Seems a very big oversight if you basically have to lose a scart. Its looking like the plasma is coming off the wall then. What a bugger. There must be something out there?

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Is there not a different way it could be wired? Presumably the thrid scart is for VCR or games consoles or something - could you run these through switcher with whatever's in scart 2???

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Liam is right, I've come across this one. It knows there's a cable connected, there's nowt u can do. Stupid idea, yes. Even Pioneers shared scart/component/hdmi at least you have control of!

6. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    stupid thing is it gives priority to scart and not component.....

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    With the Panasonic and the Composite/S-Video input we even tried to fool the plasma by putting composite down the S-Video input. Tried to get the plasma to take composite in via S-Video since the input seemed to be shared. Works on my amplifier, but not on the plasma. Tried a couple of other things, but no you can't fool it. So I think the SCART would be similar. You've got to think of it as one input, but with multiple connections.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    umm, try turning the plasma off and unplugging it, then you wont have the problem :)

or give the scart a yank and hope the plasma stays up :p

9. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    turning it off .... will i have to do that every time i want to watch a DVD though?

10. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are all the AV sockets on the PA20 assigned to?

This is my guess (without having manual or plasma to hand) can anyone clarify/fill in the gaps.

AV1 - RGB scart
    AV2 - ?
    AV3 - Scart
    AV4 - RGB scart or Composite

There's also an aerial socket as well, I assume this isn't assigned an AV no.

I want to connect a Sky+ box, DVD player and Xbox, ideally all via RGB scart, but there aren't enough sockets. Prior to seeing this thread I had thought to connect the DVD via component, but it appears that would mean switching with one of the other devices.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

11. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    without the manual i cant remember! and i thought watching a DVD was gonna be sooo easy!

12. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess a scart switcher will do the job. Are there any good ones that won't degrade the signal?

I had a cheapo switcher that was fine with an Hitachi 42pd3000 but the PQ on the panasonic was atrocious.

13. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    IIRC Scart 3 is the second RGB input i.e. So you can only have one RGB scart and one component or two RGB scart, not two RGB scart AND component. This is from memory so hopefully someone will correct me!!

Seems the best bet is a scart switcher going into scart 1 to at least give RGB from XBOX, Sky and DVD (or DVD component to input 4).

Any SVHS device will have to go into scart 2 since the only RGB, SVHS and Composite scart is the one that is disabled when using component!!!