Can you spec me a nice setup for £600?

I hope you're not paying over the odds mate, look on fleabay, some perfectly good cheapies to be had :smashin:

A 1M is about £15+ at the big stores, but can be had for a fiver easy and exactly the same thing.

As it happens, I like the toslink, I have 2.(it just seems more modern :rotfl: )
But I've done both and IMO there is no difference.
When I said cheapy coax, I meant the sort of stuff that came with cameras.
As long as it's 75 ohms, it's fine, trust me.
Don't waste your money.

i find the sound every so slightly brighter with toslink optical cables than over coax....dunno why, just do.....and seeing as my speakers are bright its heading towards being a bit too sunny..lol

however my 360 only has optical output so no choice, but in games its not so noticeable...

but as the badgerman says, dont go too overboard......1m optical shouldnt cost more than £5-8........coax is usually a fraction more.....i like to get a solid made cable to it can withstand being unplugged and stuff....sometimes the cheapest ones, even tho they may sound the same can be made rather poorly from a ruggedness point of view....

Grrr...

Ok, I'm a little more confused now.:(

Do optical and coax both have the same type of connector on the end of the cable? I want the cable to route sound from my TV to the Denon 2807. I also want another cable to route sound from my PS2 to the Denon. Would coax and optical cables both be suitable? Or are the type of connector on the end of these cable different in size or shape?

Thanks.

Whappers

Co-ax is a standard phono-type plug.
Optical is special, hence the inflated price.
Go co-ax, trust me, you are guaranteed to have that connection.
EDIT:
Your telly won't have optical out.
Connect everything directly, IMO
But the Stella is kicking in, so I may be talking tosh.

Badger0-0 said:
Co-ax is a standard phono-type plug.
Optical is special, hence the inflated price.
Go co-ax, trust me, you are guaranteed to have that connection.

Well so far I've found that it actually the other way around. I've found that coax cables to be as expensive as £50. But have found this TOSlink one http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/TS001.html and think I might get two of it. Do coax cables such as the IXOS XHD-608 fit the playstation 2's optical out?

ok, the PS2 needs an optical cable....

your TV will depend.....usually TV's themselves only output via conventional stereo RCA cables, or via an optical output...but thats on more expensive ones......if you use a sky or cable box to get your tv signal then they usually have an optical outpput, altho some may have coaxial as well, i'd use the coaxial option myself, but optical is fine, there isnt the world of difference between the two....heh

edit: that link you show btw is fine for the optical cable, Ixos cables are well made usually so for a fiver a cable its good!

oh and i dunno how much that QED Qunex subwoofer cable is, but i can say that there is no need to spend more than £20 for a 2m cable, or £35-40 for a 5m......i actually use a QED cable myself, but it wasnt a dedicated subwoofer cable, simply a QED digital coax cable and it works just fine....was worth £35 for 5m if i remember correctly, if i had the sub near the amp i could have used the 2m worth £20.......and thats on more expensive equipment....

Knyght_byte said:
oh and i dunno how much that QED Qunex subwoofer cable is, but i can say that there is no need to spend more than £20 for a 2m cable, or £35-40 for a 5m......i actually use a QED cable myself, but it wasnt a dedicated subwoofer cable, simply a QED digital coax cable and it works just fine....was worth £35 for 5m if i remember correctly, if i had the sub near the amp i could have used the 2m worth £20.......and thats on more expensive equipment....
Thanks

Ok, I've decided that it's an optical cable that I need. Both my TV and PS2 have optical out's so I definately need a optical cable. I think I'll go for the IXOS XHD308-100 (106) 1m Toslink Optical Cable @ £25.

That 3M QED SRSW Subwoofer cable I saw advertised for £40 but don't forget that I won't probably be ordering off the internet. I'm planning to order this all through my friend who will hopefully get me the 20% discount he said he could get me saving me hundreds in the process. I'll have to give him at least £20 for doing this for me (assuming it all works out).

Thanks.

Whappers.

£25?????

Well, I've given you my opinion and of course, it's your choice :smashin:

But I have to say, :rotfl:

Badger0-0 said:
£25?????

Well, Ive given you my opinion and of course it's your choice :smashin:

But I have to say :rotfl:

Yeah, but hopefully I'll be getting 20% discount off the whole lot saving me hundreds.

I just thought I'd post a couple pics of my room just to let you know what I am dealing with here (space wise and room shape wise)

I may change the room layout and knock down the shelves and then put the rear speakers (on Atacama Nexus 10 stands) there

I should add that I've already ordered a new TV stand as the one pictured is falling apart literally.

Whappers

Whappers said:
Yeah, but hopefully I'll be getting 20% discount off the whole lot saving me hundreds.
so to save £100 you have to buy £500 worth of cables to get 20% off which is £100 so you get £500 SRP of cables for £400? Have you got any idea what the margin in cables is? (trust me its alot more than 20%)

hornydragon said:
so to save £100 you have to buy £500 worth of cables to get 20% off which is £100 so you get £500 SRP of cables for £400? Have you got any idea what the margin in cables is? (trust me its alot more than 20%)

I think I've understood you right. I am not just getting 20% off the cables but on everything that I am ordering which includes the following:

Hardware
X1 Denon AVR 2807 (Receiver)
X1 pair of KEF iQ5 floorstanding speakers (Front)
X1 pair of Mordaunt Short Avant MS902i (Rear)
X1 Mordaunt Short MS304 (Centre)
X1 Mordaunt Short Avant MS309i (Subwoofer)

Cables
15 metres of QED Silver Anniversary Speaker Cable -XT
X2 Ixos XHD308 100 1 metre optical cable
X1 QED Qunex HDMI Cable
X1 QED Qunex SRSW Subwoofer Cable

It's just that when Badger was saying £25 for a cable?! - am I mad? I was asking him not to forget that I will hopefully be getting 20% off everything which I think you'll agree with me is quite substancial especially when the last time I did a price check on the above it came out at around £1600 approximately.

Whappers.

Looks nice :smashin:
But from the pics I can't tell what size it is :confused:
If it's a 42" :smashin:

Either way, it makes no odds, IMO, a cheapy toslink will do the same job, regardless of what you're being told.
Digital is digital, there is no better way of sending it :rotfl:

Badger0-0 said:
Looks nice :smashin:
But from the pics I can't tell what size it is :confused:
If it's a 42" :smashin:

Either way, it makes no odds, IMO, a cheapy toslink will do the same job, regardless of what you're being told.
Digital is digital, there is no better way of sending it :rotfl:

Thanks Badger. It's actually a 32". I got an amazing deal on it. In the end I got it for £729;) using the Dixons money off codes. Unfortunately I couldn't find any codes for the 40" and it was twice the price:cool: Anyway I am very happy with the set. I swapped it for my old Samsung LE32R41BDX which my dad has now got.:rotfl:

I'm sure it's a nice telly :smashin:
Just don't get suckered into paying for an expensive toslink, is all I'm saying mate :thumbsup:
Like I said, toslink is toslink, simple

hornydragon said:
20% off the lot is pretty good (depends what the price is to start with tho)
yeah, true. I'll get a chance to demo the KEF iQ5's on thursday night when my friend will be working so I'll ask him for a price check of everything on the list. From what he has said to me in the past I am guessing that the prices are on average the same for the rest of the UK.

Badger0-0 said:
I'm sure it's a nice telly :smashin:
Just don't get suckered into paying for an expensive toslink, is all I'm saying mate :thumbsup:
Like I said, toslink is toslink, simple

Yeah, I don't mind paying a little extra anyhow. I think I have finally settled on what it is that I want. All I got to do now is demo the KEF's, buy the lot, set it all up, test that everything works, and then finally post pics of the finished article in this thread.

I think I'm a mug in that I can't be bothered, sometimes.
I hope you like what you go with mate :smashin:

Good luck :thumbsup:

This is like an ember.......like what ends up in being flame war:)
Still, I quite like having nice looking cables. And they seem to be nicer looking the more they are to buy :confused:
I think like there's no way I'm having that crap lead that came with the freebies on a £19.99 DVD from Netto.
So despite what my brain tells me : ie it makes no difference to sound quality,
I like the nice gold interconnects with their triple braided/thick sheathed/24carat platings etc nice colours etc
They just look nicer. And my brain still says I'm a sucker.

Is there any way of getting audio from my laptop to the Denon?

I have been using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio Jack cable and cannot see any way of connecting it to the Denon. I have looked at several pictures of the receiver from the back trying to see any 3.5mm audio inputs but all I can see is outputs.

I plan to get a new PC at christmas time which will have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition. So I will be able to connect an optical cable from the optical out on the 5 1/2 inch drive bay to the Denon.

Whappers

Whappers said:
Is there any way of getting audio from my laptop to the Denon?

I have been using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio Jack cable and cannot see any way of connecting it to the Denon. I have looked at several pictures of the receiver from the back trying to see any 3.5mm audio inputs but all I can see is outputs.

I plan to get a new PC at christmas time which will have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition. So I will be able to connect an optical cable from the optical out on the 5 1/2 inch drive bay to the Denon.

Whappers
Get a 3.5 mm to twin phono lead. Whether or not its gold plated and triple shielded or not would be up to you of course.

Thanks man, I can't believe I didn't think of that:rolleyes:

So would I only be getting sound through the front two channels?, so in effect would it be 2.0 sound that I would be getting through a 3.5mm to phono? or would I be getting stereo sound but through all the channels?

Thanks.

Whappers

Whappers said:
Thanks man, I can't believe I didn't think of that:rolleyes:

So would I only be getting sound through the front two channels?, so in effect would it be 2.0 sound that I would be getting through a 3.5mm to phono? or would I be getting stereo sound but through all the channels?

Thanks.

Whappers

Well there is a small chance your headhone socket carries a digital signal through it. You'd have to check your manual ?
Anyway, supposing that the signal is analogue stereo, then yes if your decoder supports Dolby Stereo up to Dolby Pro-Logic 2x you can hear it in surround sound as the stereo signal is all that's needed to carry the Dolby signal. If you have a non-surround stereo signal then prologic 2, and 2x have a greater bandwidth and add further channels at higher qualty. All available via your analogue stereo connect.
To get Dolby Digital or DTS and various other multi-speaker audio formats etc you'd need either 5.1 analogue outputs on your sound card/player or a digital connection.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom