1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you sort this list based on Picture Quality?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by alefsin, Jun 6, 2005.

1. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Unfortunately, 32PF9830 will be available long in the future and I have just a few days to make a decision on buying a new 32" LCD.
    I'm wondering what to select between these 4 models (sorted by price according to the best prices I could find):

- Philips 32PF9986 (too expensive!)
    - Hitachi 32LD7200
    - Philips 32PF9976
    - Toshiba 32WL56

I can only assume that 9986 has the best PQ in this list. However, I really don't know how hitachi 32LD7200 is comparing to 9976. The price of hitachi is higher than 9976 (the difference is considerable for me) and I'm not quite sure that the PQ is really any better. I'm not so sure about Tosh as there has been some reports on buzzing sounds and also I really didn't like the black levels of the 32WL48: one of the poorest black levels in the TomsHardware review. I don't expect 32WL56 is going to be significantly better than 32WL48 in this respect.

In a shop I could see 9986 and 9976 side by side (though the 9976 was not set optimally). The difference between the two pictures in terms of level of details was HUGE! I guess both were fed by an analog input (there were lots of other models, all displaying the same picture and some did not have a digital input). Clearly, PixelPlus 2 (as in 9986) is really better than PixelPlus 1 (as in 9976) but the questions is where Hitachi and Toshiba stand?

What is important for me? Quality for DVD playback, and also normal TV (RF and Digital). I don't plan to connect the TV to a PC or a gaming console.

So how do you sort these TVs in terms of PQ?

For the moment I'm targeting for 32LD7200 or 32PF9976. If I don't receive any feedbacks, I think I'll have to toss a coin ;)

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure the 9986 is the best LCD TV.
    However, when the budget does not allow it, you should know that the human eye (and brain) quickly adapts to any distorted or otherwise sub-optimal picture.
    When you buy a new LCD TV, it will look funny the first week, and you will be tweaking the settings all the time. After a week you just enjoy the good picture.
    Some people in this group refer to this as "settling" that the LCD would require, but I really think it is the brain that does the settling, not the TV.

So, when you buy something that is less optimal than the 9986 (which you immediately notice when looking at the vidiwall in the store), after using it for some time it will be perfectly OK.
    I have a Dell W1700 on the bedroom, and while it is awful when compared to my 9986 it is just fine after getting used to it, and I would perfectly understand when others would say it has a good picture.

3. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I agree that after a certain period one would get used to the PQ, if it is not really very bad to start with. I myself was quite happy with the quality of my simple 4:3 28" CRT until a few months ago when I felt I NEED a 16:9 screen and decided to get ride of it :D
    On the other hand, a 32" LCD is not exactly inexpensive and I'd need to keep it for a couple of years so naturally, I'd like to buy something that from the begining gives me some confidence that I've made the right choice. I'm a EE/CE design engineer and all these technical details about these screens are simply fascinating for me and again, naturally don't like to lose any possible feature while I can :smashin:

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been hesitating to buy anything for a long time. I visited the local MediaMarkt several times, looking at the huge choice of plasmas and LCDs (and their pricetags). After a while I found that the only decent quality LCD was the Sharp. And the plasmas were more suitable as heating radiators than as a TV.
    The 9986 was announced then but not available yet. I waited, as my old 4:3 TV was still working after I repaired it several times.
    Then, the 9986 appeared (at first only in 32"). Boy, was this standing out between the array of sets on display! It was immediately obvious that for "natural" scenes the Philips was much better than any of the competition. The demo loop in the store often includes a lot of saturated color material such as cartoons and football matches, for which the difference is not as apparent. But with skin colors the difference is very obvious.

But to pay over 4000 euro for that??? This sounded a bit over the top. So I waited a bit more.
    By the end of the year the pricetag was below 4000, but with some bargaining I could get another 10% off. Still a heck of a lot of money for a TV, but I am very happy. The picture quality, even with suboptimal sources, is still astonishing every day.

Of course, being a technical person too, I see many shortcomings. There is no 1:1 digital video input (e.g. 1366x768 PC display mode). The teletext is slow and much too bright (the brightness is not adjustable). The menu animations are irritating and cannot be turned off. The PC Digital, Analog and Component video inputs are all combined in a single connector. The auto-format-switching sucks. There is no delta-setting for video (contrast, brightness) per input connector (there is one for audio), so when an external unit outputs a little too weak or strong RGB you have to adjust it every time you select it.
    Many things that could be improved by better firmware. But of course a manufacturer like Philips does not offer firmware upgrades for existing equipment over time; they just release a new model (the 9830) which fixes some of the problems.

But as a whole, it can be lived with, and I still believe it is the best TV you can buy today.