Can you share the USB hub on a monitor?

nholmes

Standard Member
Hi all,
hopefully a quick question. I'm looking to buy a BenQ EW2430 monitor (although I'm open to alternate suggestions under £200 for non-gaming). This monitor has 2 x HDMI ports and a 4 port USB Hub.

I have two PCs to connect to it and like the idea of using the 4 port hub for keyboard, mouse and anything else I might choose to plug in.

My question is simple. Can USB hubs on monitors be switched between PCs?. As there is only one Type-B USB input I'm guessing not. I've never had a monitor with a USB hub so I'm new to the concept.

If nothas anyone found a cheap solution to this problem?.

Regards,

nholmes.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
USB hubs on monitors are no different to normal USB hubs, they're just inside the case instead of outside.

EDIT: Assuming the monitor doesn't have speakers, a webcam or anything else that might be connected via USB, but even then it's more likely to just behave as if they were separate devices plugged into an external hub.

Last edited:

nholmes

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds, as I suspected, that it is not possible to easily switch usage of a monitor hub between two pcs without introducing another kvm type switch. This is a real shame, as not everyone wants to use the dual hdmi ports of these type of monitor with a pc and an xbox.

This means the hub is essentially pointless in a dual pc configuration, as you can only ever use a keyboard, mouse etc with one of your two pcs.

Thanks for both your inputs, which is more than I can say for the hub !!!!

Regards,

nholmes.

MaturityDodger

USB hubs on monitors are no different to normal USB hubs, they're just inside the case instead of outside.

EDIT: Assuming the monitor doesn't have speakers, a webcam or anything else that might be connected via USB, but even then it's more likely to just behave as if they were separate devices plugged into an external hub.
But a 'normal USB hub' still can't be shared between two computers, can it? I think that a switch is still required for that.

This means the hub is essentially pointless in a dual pc configuration, as you can only ever use a keyboard, mouse etc with one of your two pcs.
If you want to share keyboard and mouse between two computers, have you considered using a software solution, like Synergy? I use it at work because I need a Linux and a Windows machine, and switch between the two a lot.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom