Can you sell PC games

bwfc0907

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering can I sell games like FIFA12 and F1 2011 when I've played them and installed using the key?

No they are normally tied to your account.....

With Steam you could sell the game and then 'gift' it to the buyer but not sure there is anything similar on Origin.

With Steam you could sell the game and then 'gift' it to the buyer but not sure there is anything similar on Origin.

if gaming on pc and consoles become digital only i think this wold be a good way to go so you can sell your used games on :)

Some games are not tied to your account ! i know some early windows live games allow multiple uses for example batman arkham city can be used multiple times but newer games tend to be linked to some sort of account .

Some games are not tied to your account ! i know some early windows live games allow multiple uses for example batman arkham city can be used multiple times but newer games tend to be linked to some sort of account .

Arkham city is tied to your gfwl account, its just allowed to be installed on 5 machines.

From what ive seen games are generally only one or the other, so if you have it tied to an account you can play it from anywhere with that account or if it isnt then you have limited installs.

Arkham city is tied to your gfwl account, its just allowed to be installed on 5 machines.

From what ive seen games are generally only one or the other, so if you have it tied to an account you can play it from anywhere with that account or if it isnt then you have limited installs.

sorry i meant to say arkham asylum :) im busy playing city so i have that on my mind :O

Very rarely these days once the game has been activated.

Origin/Steam are similar in that once you have activated the game on your account there is nothing you can do with it once finished. Short of giving someone your username and password there is now no second hand market for PC games.

If it's activated it is worthless.

Some games you can deactivate/de-register but none of the steam/EA titles are like that.

:confused:

No you can't.

You can obviously sell the ones that just need a CD key to install the game etc, not one which tie to your account, which is most these days.

Obviously not Fifa 11/12 as the these keys tie to the EA account you registered with.

to be honest most my pc games I buy on the cheap and i play most on console first and then sell it on.

Can't what? Gift a game? I assure you that it is possible.....I've had several that way.

Probably a slight misunderstanding. Your post said you could sell the game then gift it to someone.

That is all correct but once you have activated the game on your account, then that is not possible. If buying on Steam you have to buy it as a gift first, you can't buy it for yourself then gift it later.

Greg said:
Probably a slight misunderstanding. Your post said you could sell the game then gift it to someone.

That is all correct but once you have activated the game on your account, then that is not possible.

So you can't gift a game you've already played? I always assumed you could....my bad.

That is why I don't buy full price pc game any more. Once you played it , you can't sell them any more. :thumbsdow

Can't what? Gift a game? I assure you that it is possible.....I've had several that way.

So you can't gift a game you've already played? I always assumed you could....my bad.

As Greg has said, you can only gift games that have been specifically purchased as gifts. Otherwise they are yours and yours forever.

That would be great if you could and the second hand market would be thriving, but sadly not the case.

I think it would ruin it really. Ok, we might get some games cheaper but loads would wait for the games to crop up second hand etc.

I'm not a big fan of second hand games market and really can't see how it's any worse for developers/publishers than illegal downloading as neither see profit from either. More they bring in money wise the more we will see games being developed.

Although all games should by law be made to provide a demo so it then gives the consumer a chance to try before they buy. Plus they should also be tested by an outside organisation to make sure they're fit for purpose as some simply aren't.

Anyway back on topic older games seem possible to sell on but as everyone else has said most new games require registering to an account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although all games should by law be made to provide a demo so it then gives the consumer a chance to try before they buy.

This is why I get games by alternative means first.

Unless I win the lottery I cannot afford to buy every game that I think I might enjoy and if I am honest its thanks to this method I have purchased games I wouldnt even have given a second thought but once I played them I enjoyed them so picked them up when I had some spare cash.

The lack of demo's and the sheer lack of content in the demo's does not give you a very good look into whether you will like the game or not, I mean look at the Blacksite: Area 51 Demo. You start off in a petrol station, kill a baddie and the demo ends ***, seriously how am I supposed to know if the games any good by a demo that lasted as long as it took for you to kill a monster.

Second hand would be a nice option but if they are eliminating that option and still not providing demo's then there is no other choice.

I think it would ruin it really. Ok, we might get some games cheaper but loads would wait for the games to crop up second hand etc.

Although all games should by law be made to provide a demo so it then gives the consumer a chance to try before they buy. Plus they should also be tested by an outside organisation to make sure they're fit for purpose as some simply aren't.

This is why I get games by alternative means first.

+1 on all those points, Im not sure how a second hand market for digital distribution would work anyway, would you sell back to steam for their price or would you sell on to the third party yourself for whatever you choose, a huge host of issues you dont get with console games.

Pc games are cheap enough anyway that a second hand market isnt really a neccessity imo, with some intelligent shopping you can get big blockbusters for as cheap as single digits

Well on the somewhat obvious assumption "download" means to acquire a full version of a game illegally, then discussion stops here please. There's no place for those conversations here.

Well on the somewhat obvious assumption "download" means to acquire a full version of a game illegally, then discussion stops here please. There's no place for those conversations here.

I know, I wasnt intending on starting anything I was just replying and wasnt planning on saying anything further.

Cheers, great debate. To be fair the PC games are cheap enough to simply retain until you get the urge to play again.

I do wish demos were more readily available but most are half the price of a console game so its difficult for a developer to spend time on creating one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom