1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you see 50Hz flicker?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bearded_Malc, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was wondering if the desire for native rate might not be misplaced? On PC monitors 60Hz is about the minimum usable without seeing flicker. I run mine at 75Hz. It will run at 100Hz but of course the lower you run it the sharper the image as the signal bandwidth requirement is less.

So I wondered if that was why plasmas seem to have a frame rate of 60Hz, i.e. the minimum to avoid flicker which I guess is more noticeable on a big screen. Of course on 50Hz, 25 fps, then 75Hz would be perhaps best. 100Hz would be good but then you'd need that much more bandwidth in the plasma electronics.

So can you see 50Hz frame rate? Or are all plasmas more than 50Hz?

2. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It's a subject which actually interested me as well. I am unlucky enough to see flickering under 85Hz, and I can stand working with a computer only over ~70Hz. This is regular CRT stuff though - TFT panels and plasmas don't seem as susceptible to flickering.

Any MXE1 owners out there who tried the different FRC modes? Does it give any flickering?

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's because plasmas aren't "scanned" like a normal CRT screen. The pixels on a plasma screen are continuously pulsed, and it's the ratio between the on and off states that dictates pixel brighness. Pixels are merely refreshed at TV frame rate, but they stay illuminated. That's how I understand that it works - no doubt someone will be along any minute to tell me that I'm talking out of my rear.

4. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I suspected something like that - thanks for confirming it, it's good news!