Can you record BBC HD off Sky without a sub

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I would like to get BBC HD and be able to record it.I don't really want to subscribe to Sky(I have a humax 9200 pvr that satisfies my non hd requirements).

BBC HD is probably the only channel I would watch at the moment although I may decide later on to get more HD channels.

Is it possible to buy a Sky HD box from a third party get it installed and then watch/record the free to air channels.I assume that I would not get the programme guide so how do you record what you want to watch.

I understand I could alternatively just get a HD sat box and watch BBC HD on that but I would like to be able to record programmes and watch at my leisure.

Is it possible to buy a Sky HD box from a third party get it installed and then watch/record the free to air channels.
Yes, so long as you pay Sky 10 quid a month for the record facility; alternatively get a minimum Sky subscription (£15 = 2 Mixes / 17 quid per month from 1st September) and get a load more channels plus the record facility.
I assume that I would not get the programme guide so how do you record what you want to watch.
If using a Sky box everyone gets the EPG regardless of subscription.

john

Thanks for the reply John.

So for £17 per month I can watch/record 2 mixes including BBC HD,would this basic subscription include other HD channels such as National Geographic HD/History HD & Discovery HD(not interested in movies/sport on satelite).

Alternativley would it be £17 for the basic package +£10 for the SKY HD package (to include the other HD channels listed above).

I am not particularly trying to be a cheapscate but I used to have Sky and basically only used to watch the free to air channels.Now I have a freeview PVR it takes care of most of my needs.However having just upgraded my tv to a 50" Samsung hd tv I would like to get some HD broadcast pictures without paying an arm and a leg.

So for £17 per month I can watch/record 2 mixes including BBC HD
Yes, but that would not include any HD channels other than BBCHD. Channels such as National Geographic HD/History HD & Discovery HD require an additional HD subscription of £10/month plus they must be part of the 2 mixes you subscribe to.

john

How do you find out what is included in the mixes I have looked at the sky site and it is not clear.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply John.

So for £17 per month I can watch/record 2 mixes including BBC HD,would this basic subscription include other HD channels such as National Geographic HD/History HD & Discovery HD(not interested in movies/sport on satelite).

Alternativley would it be £17 for the basic package +£10 for the SKY HD package (to include the other HD channels listed above).

I am not particularly trying to be a cheapscate but I used to have Sky and basically only used to watch the free to air channels.Now I have a freeview PVR it takes care of most of my needs.However having just upgraded my tv to a 50" Samsung hd tv I would like to get some HD broadcast pictures without paying an arm and a leg.

I think you're in luck. Technically, any PVR should be able to record the transport stream that contains the BBC HD, even an SD receiver, as long as the modulation stays DVB-S. (It will change to DVB-S2 later). It obviously then can't play it, however.

However, your Humax 9200 seems to be equipped with a USB port for transferring files to a PC and a reasonably fast PC can play HD .ts files. "Videolan" comes to mind as a basic free software player.

To sum up: If you have a recent PC and a suitable way to display HD from that PC (My own LCD has a VGA port, for example), the total cost for you to view non-real-time BBC HD comes to £0:thumbsup:

Nigel

Thanks for the link,can't see why I couldn't find it:blush:

Thegeby

Thank you for that info,but I think there has been problems with using the usb on the Humax so it may be more trouble than its worth.

It seems the upshot is:

1. Buy a Sky HD box pay no subs and only watch live BBC HD
2. ditto + £10 and watch or record BBC HD + other free to air non HD channels
3. ditto + £10 + £17, total £27 per month to watch/record BBC HD + other HD channels such as National Geo/History HD/Discovery HD.

Am I right in the above asumptions please,if so I shall consider the options,thanks for all your help.

Ps.If I go with the option 1, do I need a viewing card and do i have to contact Sky to have it paired?

Yes you are correct
BBC HD is unencrypted as are the other BBC channels so you do not need a card. But ITV/c4/c5 is encrypted so you would need a card (does not need apiring for non premium channels) (around £20).

Alternatively you could buy a satellite card for your PC eg Hauppage 4000 to watch and record BBC HD. BUT you will need a fancy PC (my 3Ghz Intel/1GB ram/7600GS/sata AV system could not play smooth HD). I am waiting to put the card now in my Q6600/2GB/8800 GTS system.

Rentagas

The pc is not an option, as mine is around 3 yrs old and not fast/powerfull enough to run HD from, but thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

Nigel

It seems the upshot is:

1. Buy a Sky HD box pay no subs and only watch live BBC HD
2. ditto + £10 and watch or record BBC HD + other free to air non HD channels
3. ditto + £10 + £17, total £27 per month to watch/record BBC HD + other HD channels such as National Geo/History HD/Discovery HD.

You always have:

4: get a FTA HD PVR. At £0/month subsription it would pay off quickly. You would lose Channel 4 (at least until next year when they are likely to go FTA,) and five. All ITV channels and all BBC are FTA today

thegeby

Is there such a thing as a FTA HD pvr available?,I have heard of HD satelite receivers but not a FTA PVR version only Sky.

If there is a FTA HD PVR available now for reasonable money I may well consider it:)

Thegeby

Now that definatley looks interesting,if the price was under £300 I could be interested.How long do you think before it will be available?.

I can get a Sky HD installed for £290 all in,that would get me a couple of extra HD channels (Nat Geo/Discovery/History) but that is gona cost me £27 per month.

I take it the Topfield will only bring in BBC HD with non motorised dish(only interested in HD channels).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom