Can you recommend me the Samsung UE55JS9000

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by HD2k15, Jun 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HD2k15

HD2k15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hello,

I am looking for some of your expert opinions.

I currently have a Samsung 46" C8000 LED 3D HDTV and Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and have owned them since 2010. Now 5 years later I feel like upgrading.

I have my sights set on the Samsung UE55JS9000 as it is a 4K tv.

Do any owners think that this is the best option to go for if I want the best looking Samsung 4K tv? I cannot afford the JS9500 series so the JS9000 is suited to my budget.

My questions are:

What Onkyo amp supports 4K and is similar to the 608 in terms of price (Paid £400 in 2010)?

Is the curved screen a hindrance or great for viewing experience?

My main sources for feeding this TV will be Sky HD and my PS4, do you think the picture quality will be night and day comparison to my C8000 LED tv?

Many thanks

2. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,468
    Hi

First of all, check the owners thread for opinions https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ue-js9000-owners-thread.1946947/

You could also check out our review https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ue48js9000-review.11260

Personally speaking, the first high end samsung I spent any length of time with was a d and the js9000 is quite a bit better than that but night and day might be pushing it. You'll get the most out of it with uhd sources, of course, but the PS4 and the better Sky content will look great. Honestly though, maybe take a watching brief and see how the hdr standards unfold before committing.

As fir the curve, it's ok, more of a lovely looking design feature than a picture quality enhancement one, for me, but it doesn't detract really and sometimes adds a little depth of field.

onkyo amp, something like this https://www.avforums.com/product/product.9438 is about 450 pounds

Remind me never to type out a reply this long on a tablet again.

3. cooperda

cooperda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Would you be better holding off on a new Amp?

Aren't there a couple of new 'surround-sound' options - DTS:X & Atmos - which is the most likely next 'big thing' - or do new Amps support both options?

Cheers, daveac

4. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,468
    Most of the newer AVRs will support both and it's anybody's guess how well either will do in the long term.

You could always hold on to see what's around the corner but then you can stay hanging on forever...

5. HD2k15

HD2k15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Thank you for your reply, very helpful. I sit about 240cm away from the TV so 55" version is the correct size to get? I want this model as I want to make the jump to 4K but I know it is still early days yet but in the mean time I would use it for my Sky HD and PS4.