Can you recommend a turntable??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by le hutch, Jul 23, 2002.

1. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Arcam DV88 and AVR100 powering Monitor Audio silver 9is.

I've been looking at getting a seperate CD player (Arcam diva 92?), and I'm also waiting to see whether DVD-A or SA-CD takes off.

Anyhoo, I'm now looking at getting a turntable and a load of vinyl mainly for the sound quality and the fact that LPs are so much nicer to have and are collectable.

So, can anyone recommend a deck, arm or phono stage or generally give me thier pearls of wisdom.

I'd really like to know how a turntable would compare to a cd player? Also wheres there best place to buy vinyl??

ta!!:D

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    where to start : how much you wanna spend, new - 2nd hand etc but here is some good info that should keep you happy.

Buying New you have Rega P2/P3s at £200/300 or you could have a Project RPM4 for £325 which would be my starter TT. Unless you fancy something fancy in the second hand market along the lines of a LP12. Phono stage I would recco is the Project Phono SE @ £99 for use with your amp, no use going overboard.

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=93&start=0

http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=137

These are good places to start IMHO.

HTHs

3. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THanks for that. This was the price range I was thinking of but if it was worth spending a bit more I would...

Not sure whether to go for 2nd hand or not.....

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i would look at the project classic cherry (or whatever its called) its a great deck and sounds fabulous. a friend of mine has one with the musical fidelity XLP S and its a great combination. i personally, wouldn't bother with the cd player though, spend the extra on the turntable as it will sound better anyway!:D

5. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, dts_boy, can't say things like that in an AV forum:D
    If it ain't digitally encoded, how can it sound good?:D

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i know, i know, you can't get 5.1 from a turntable. i get this all the time from my friends and family who see these "Flower Pots" as useless. when you have a collection gathering dust though, its tempting to find something new to spen the your money on and have you ever heard vinyl in dts neo?!?:p

7. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, Hifi is my field of choice so I appreciate turntables too. Not saying there better than a good CD player but a good turntable does have that certain something. But you've got to spend a lot more on a turntable to get a good sound than you do on CD.;)

8. LeighM

LeighM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a few records from www.simplyvinyl.com not a huge choice but the ones they do have are great.

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Gambit

In my experience I think you can get very acceptable performance in vinyl terms at the £140 Mark with the Project Debut Phono TT, Ive bought 2 of these for friends needing vinyl hifi, I honestly think that price comparable CD v Vinyl performance is achievable, and I think the deck recco'd above all compete very well (some of a vinyl nature would say outclass) with CD players at the same price.

I rate the sound from both CD & Vinyl in equal measure but they are not the same IMO. If we take a couple of examples of CD being better than vinyl are you saying that :

Marantz CD 17 KI is way better than a Michell Gyrodec SE ?

Or a

OL Ultra TT v Arcam CD82 or 92 ?

So you dont have to spend more in each format IMHO.

10. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it depends on what CD player you spend you £1000 on too. I (personally) would rate, say, a Cyrus CD7Q higher than a Michelle Gyrodeck, yes.
    The problem I have with cheaper turntables is the cracks, pops and whistles. The project, whilst a fine turntable (probably the best sub £200) just doesn't cut it against a NAD C521i (for example). It may just be because I'm younger and have never really had to rely on a turntable as my main source, I don't know. But I won't dispute that a decent turntable (i.e. LP12, good MC cartridge like a Sumiko Blue piont special) sound good. But I'd rather have a good CD player first, thats all.