• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Can you recommend a good dealer for projector screen?

Klaatu73

Standard Member
Greetings, Dear Reader!

I am just completing the build on an extension and have a dedicated movie room. I nabbed a bargain of a SIM2 C3X 1080 pro (very excited!) on eBay and have also bought in wall speakers (B&W Signature 7NT/LCR7's, in wall - also on eBay).

I now need to look at screens. The room has one window on a side wall and some french doors to the rear, for viewing, all will be curtained/blacked out to minimise light intrusion. So, can anyone give me recommedations on dealers/shops/brands etc? - I've seen some names of manufacturers but they seem to be mainly overseas/USA.

A thousand thank you's in advance, Dear Reader.

Be seeing you.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
^Agreed, will you need retractable or can you do fixed frame. Fixed will not only be much cheaper but also give a flatter surface, plus if you are remotely handy you could build yourself one that’s acoustically transparant.

Klaatu73

Standard Member
Sorry, forgot to say. Fixed. Acoustically transparent also, as the speakers are all inwall. Might be a bit excessive having the big B&W's as surrounds and rears but i got them all for a good price so may as well use em.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Sorry, forgot to say. Fixed. Acoustically transparent also, as the speakers are all inwall. Might be a bit excessive having the big B&W's as surrounds and rears but i got them all for a good price so may as well use em.

Well if it's fixed and acoustically transparent then you should do a search on Youtube. You'll will save yourself a fortune and actually enjoy yourself doing it. I've worked out the materials I would need to build a 115" 2.35:1 screen and it came to £65.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Also hearing good reviews of Filmex DIY screen material, it's acoustically transparent and I believe comes in 1.2M width at £20 per M from Epic Home Cinema. It's flexible so you will be able to stretch it a bit beyond the 1.2M height of your screen if big though I think if you are interested best to check with Epic to see how far it will stretch before ordering. :smashin:

pixel8

...can anyone give me recommedations on dealers/shops...
Not regrettably in the same league as our friend above however I've just been let down. Managed to get a screen Grey pull down which was the last in stock and all rippled due to transit damage -Bought from Amazon. My budget only extends to around £200... know it's not much...

sutol

Where's a good place to order the spandex in the UK? I'm thinking of giving this a go until I can afford something else.

pixel8

Sorry..what's your point?

sutol

I’m considering the DIY spandex route as a cheap way to get a screen - currently using a grey wall. I’d like to see if I get any improvement for a minimal cost. In time, I might then upgrade.

I’m interested in where people are buying the spandex from in the UK or is it just a local material shop? Google searches haven’t really come up with the right options.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I’m considering the DIY spandex route as a cheap way to get a screen - currently using a grey wall. I’d like to see if I get any improvement for a minimal cost. In time, I might then upgrade.

I’m interested in where people are buying the spandex from in the UK or is it just a local material shop? Google searches haven’t really come up with the right options.

Amazon is a good place to start. By all accounts you are looking for a spandex mix of 80% Nylon to 20% Spandex.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Qual...d=1549357101&sr=8-6&keywords=spandex+material

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spandex-St...57154&sr=8-13&keywords=spandex+material+white

Hopefully @True Romance can confirm this is correct as he has actually done this already but based on his comments I think long term you would be wiser going the Filmex material route.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The C3X 1080 is an exceptional projector and its sharpness is second to none. I once checking one for a customer and i'd just had a JVC X3 running and it was staggering how different the two were in quality. Whats more, when I check the C3X, I noticed it was out of focus and boy, even slightly out of focus the C3X was significantly sharper than the X3.

So, in order to get the best out of the projector, it does require a good projection screen and if you are going to make your own screen, do opt for a very good fabric as you maybe short changing yourself on what the C3X can really offer you

Last edited:

Klaatu73

Standard Member
The C3X 1080 is an exceptional projector and its sharpness is second to none. I once checking one for a customer and i'd just had a JVC X3 running and it was staggering how different the two were in quality. Whats more, when I check the C3X, I noticed it was out of focus and boy, even slightly out of focus the C3X was significantly sharper than the X3.

So, in order to get the best out of the projector, it does require a good projection screen and if you are going to make your own screen, do opt an very good fabric as you maybe short changing yourself on what the C3X can really offer you

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. This is my first pro - been into home video/audio for over 20 years but this is my first chance to have a dedicated room. All good quality second hand so far, I think the only thing I will need to buy new is an amp capable of 7.1.4 or 7.2.4. I was thinking 2 ceiling atmos speakers but reading everyone's comments in various forums, 4 is the way to go.

Last edited:

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
With Atmos speaker location and speaker quantity depends more on where you are sitting rather than what sounds best. Take a look at what Dolby recommend via the two images below. If you are sat closer to the rear wall then a .2 setup will work fine however if you are able to sit in the sweet spot then a .4 solution will always sound best.

You have to remember that even though Atmos is fantastic when done right, some people do seem a little underwhelmed and I think some of this is partly down to upward firing speakers which are placed incorrectly or speakers which are not being used correctly to create front highs rather and upward firings (many people love the these options regardless of positioning and I would never question anyone if they think its right as it their own experience that matters most and not anyone else's).

The other side is the fact that some people expect more from Atmos than is currently being mastered as all its meant to deliver is extra atmosphere and not a complete sound stage.

People who seem to thoroughly enjoy Atmos do usually use in-ceiling speakers and get the sound stage fact, so if you have to ability to opt for this type of Atmos system then its you who will be the long term winner regardless of whether your creating a .2 or .4 Atmos configuration
7.1.2-overhead.png

7.1.4-overhead.png

pixel8

Anyone able to help...I need a grey screen but struggling to find anything online...Looking for 92" electric or pulldown now and could pay maybe 250 tops...all seem to be sold out ;( t
Not regrettably in the same league as our friend above however I've just been let down. Managed to get a screen Grey pull down which was the last in stock and all rippled due to transit damage -Bought from Amazon. My budget only extends to around £200... know it's not much...

Klaatu73

Standard Member
With Atmos speaker location and speaker quantity depends more on where you are sitting rather than what sounds best. Take a look at what Dolby recommend via the two images below. If you are sat closer to the rear wall then a .2 setup will work fine however if you are able to sit in the sweet spot then a .4 solution will always sound best.

You have to remember that even though Atmos is fantastic when done right, some people do seem a little underwhelmed and I think some of this is partly down to upward firing speakers which are placed incorrectly or speakers which are not being used correctly to create front highs rather and upward firings (many people love the these options regardless of positioning and I would never question anyone if they think its right as it their own experience that matters most and not anyone else's).

The other side is the fact that some people expect more from Atmos than is currently being mastered as all its meant to deliver is extra atmosphere and not a complete sound stage.

People who seem to thoroughly enjoy Atmos do usually use in-ceiling speakers and get the sound stage fact, so if you have to ability to opt for this type of Atmos system then its you who will be the long term winner regardless of whether your creating a .2 or .4 Atmos configuration
7.1.2-overhead.png

7.1.4-overhead.png
My seating arrangement will be fluid so I'll be able to move the sofa/chairs for best position so i'll probably plumb for the .4 set-up (seen as its a new build and bare walls i don't want to have to tear into the fabric of the building to change it later on). With the B&W's being in walls (LCR7's & LCR8's) I don't have the luxury of towing them in, but I should be able to get it as near as, for the sweet spot effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom