• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can you recommend a bargain BR / DVD player?

bluedroog

Prominent Member
Hi Guys, as the title suggests really. The only BR player I've ever owned is my PS3 but am getting fed up with the fan noise so would like a dedicated player. I'm not too hot on the subject either so please correct me if I go wrong anywhere or make any common mistakes.

I have quite a large DVD collection and would like to purchase more BR disks going forward so would like a basic machine that does playback well for both, certainly I would hope for a step up from the PS3 which although does an admirable job considering it was cheaper than most BR when I got it, is a little dark for my liking.

I don't know much about up scaling but it's my understanding this some how does it's best to 'upgrade' the picture of a standard definition to as good as HD as it can? If I've got that right it's definitely a feature I would like.

Given I've invested in a decent 5.1 set-up sound quality output is something I'd consider important.

I may be way off hear but certainly it seems to me that disk players can perform well without having to cost the earth these days so I am really looking for a bargain, really would like to come in well under £100 if that is possible?

Also are there any features I need to be looking out for which I may be ignorant to?

Many thanks in advance for any help. : ) :thumbsup:

CJROSS

Prominent Member
£100 Sony S760. No bells & whistles, just a benchmark/reference SD/BD spinner.
£100 LG BD390. Bells & whsitles, excellent SD/BD player.

No difference in 1080/24FS. Bells n Whistles = streaming, youtube, iplayer (not on the 390) etc.

Both companies offer the best support I have seen for their players, Sony clearly in the lead though in that respect. Both excellent audio wise, either 5.1 or via SPDIF too. HDMI as standard for Audio.

bluedroog

Prominent Member
Thanks CJROSS, much appreciated. Given I have most of the features you mention on my PS3 and don't use them a whole lot. And also perhaps the fact as the technology matures I'll have more disposable income a couple of years down the line.

Would the Sony for pure performace terms be the one to go for?

bluedroog

Prominent Member
Thanks for these CJROSS, they certainly look up my street. I don't suppose you know who could supply them at those prices do you? I had a bit of a google but either seem to be considerabley more than £100 or discontinued.

CJROSS

Prominent Member
It is a lovely player if all you need is on SD/BD disc, I cant see me ever getting rid of it, it shares the same video board as the £1200 BDP-5000ES. I think it was a bargain at £300-400, even much more so at end of line, when quite a few of us got them £99.99 from Play.com. That is the only reason you see them at that price second hand.
I'd buy one here in the classfieds, a lot of people are selling due to streaming etc. Grab a bargain.

skk3

Prominent Member
Sony 370, 380?

bluedroog

Prominent Member
Grrr that Sony seems perfect, shame I seem to have missed out. For some reason I feel more comfortable buying disk spinners new. Guess it's the mechanics in them.

Any other suggestions around the £100 mark? Or am I better waiting till I've got a bigger budget?

mentm

Prominent Member
The sony s380 replaced the s370 and is widely available.

There are also simialr players available from samsung, LG and panasonic. TBH at this price point they are all pretty similar though I would go for a sony as they have great firmware updates and features.

In my own tests i have found bluray PQ and SQ very similar between my ps3 and s570 / s550.

In terms of DVD playback the ps3 may be slightly better, though this could be a matter of taste as turning the upscaling on/off on the ps3 makes quite a difference, it looked better to me with cartoons but looked a little un-natural to me with other discs.

I am not sure getting another player is going to make your bluray pictures any less dark and suggest you spend some time setting up your tv correctly. Out of interest what is the contrast ratio for your tv? as this could be a reason for 'dark pictures'

I only use my ps3 for games but that has nothing to do with it's bluray picture or sound quality.

Last edited:

bluedroog

Prominent Member
To be honest it's 99% because of fan noise that I wanted a dedicated player, I just thought it would make sense to make it as much of an upgrade as I could along the way without breaking the bank.

skk3

Prominent Member
To be honest it's 99% because of fan noise that I wanted a dedicated player, I just thought it would make sense to make it as much of an upgrade as I could along the way without breaking the bank.

I agree with mentm's comments, although you may still be able to hear slight mechanical noise with the 370 or 380. As already stated they are still great value machines and ongoing firmware support will save you money in the long run. Another machine to consider, if you can find one, is the Sony 760 which has better build quality, although I sit close to my Sony 350 and what little noise there is doesn't bother me and proves the player is working - we just don't live in a perfect world! Happy choosing...

spuddler

Established Member
Hi, tested(in a well furnished room) Sony 380 i got for my Sister few weeks back (she picked it up last Fri gone), playing Bluray Discs, Whines like a Gud Un (& looks like it's not alone).
My PS3( Gen back slim, with non upgraded GFX chip, which is now isolated from me in another room), when in same room as me, wasn't particularily loud, but very high pitched sound, which did grate a lot on your nerves when playing DVDs, Blueray etc(well its Fan noise). Sony S380 prob louder, regards my memory of PS3 noise (S380 its noise due to disc spinning very very fast, listening close up), when playing Bluray, OK DVD. S380 bit lower pitched, so abit less irritating, but not good when sounds low volume or silent.
One person on here was going to send his S380 back( if he did ?), but said it did get a lot quieter after a few days.
See how my Sister gets on with it in her room, if noise stays same & she wants/ can take it back to Argos, shes in order, i def would. Whats good IMO a Bluray player, that as all the FW updates in the world, Media & internet functions etc, if you don't want to play a Bluray disc on it.
GF's Panny BDP45, you have to go right up to it, to hear a bit of drive noise with DVD, slightly more with Bluray. It dosn't clug clug loudly also, when starting to read discs, menus etc, like S380 did. Not saying get the Panny thou, just used for comparison.

Cheers BOB

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom