1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you recomend a USB 2.0 PCI card for hard drives ??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jamieuk23, Jun 24, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi I have 4 external 250GB hard drives. I am sick and tied of having to swap them round all the time and pulling my pc out.

little unsure on which USB 2.0 pci card to buy as I am nto sure if it would support hard drives.

can you recomend any or point me in the right direction..

thanks jay

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I understand you. Are the existing external drives USB connection? Do you only have USB 1.0 at the moment?

If you have USB 2.0 but are short on ports then you only need a USB hub. These can be got quite cheaply but make sure you get one with an external power supply.

If you only have USB 1.0 then you will ned a PCI card. I suggest you buy a quality one from a known maufacturer. You'll need something like this one . I'm not recommending it you understand, just using it as an example.

I bought one from PCW for £9 and it is rubbish. Expect to pay twice that for a quality one.

And yes it will support USB hard drives

Dave

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A hub will share bandwidth (speed) between all the drives, no problem if you are only accessing 1 drive at once, but if copy between the USB drives or do anything else that has 2 or more drives active at the same time it will slow them down.

That said it is the easier option. So if you don't think this will be a problem go for a hub. If you do think it will be a problem get a card.

Belkin tend to be reliable for this sort of thing.

For example a 7 port hub: http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=2V3X&searchphrase=belkin usb hub

Or a 5 port card: http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=108H&searchphrase=belkin usb pci

And you don't need to worry about a specific card to support your drives, all USB 2 cards will (assuming they work as advertised)