can you recomend a sound card 5.1 with S/PDIF ??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jamieuk23, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi am I right in thinking that if you have a high Quality amp that will decode the audio any way that there is not much need for a top of the range sound card ??. Quite confusing really on how inportant the actual sound card is when you have a decent AMP :confused:

Would all so be interesting to hear why or why isnt the sound card inportant

any way, can you recomend me a sound card for 95% DVD movies 5% games. will be sending audio to my pioneer amp via S/PDIF as I will be using TheaterTek software which supports this and is ment to give best Quality

I have a 5.1 setup and would want to be able to lisen to DTS AC3 etc etc !

do I need to spend a arm and a leg ??

Would like to spend max £30 - put maybe more if you can justify it

:thumbsup:

2. dannyg81

dannyg81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just installed a Terratec 7.1 (About £37 from Scan.co.uk) in my HTPC that passes through a DD and DTS 5.1 stream without any problems, the 5.1 Terratec I had before that also did the same and was only about £17! If you want it for games then I'd recommend maybe an Audigy 2 at the very least, but these can be awkward to connect up to AV receivers unless you shell out extra for the break out box. Saying that though, the Terratec 7.1 does Dolby Digital Live encoding, so if you're playing games and turn off all the 3D hardware/EAX acceleration you'll probably get better positional sound using the Dolby Digital Live.

3. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    thanks for help mate !

One thing that does confuse me a little is, if I only have a 5.1 setup Will it mess my surround sound up if I am outputting at 7.1 ??

can you use 5.1 ?

:thumbsup:

4. dannyg81

dannyg81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't worry about that.... the 7.1 option is for analogue outs, connected upto a suitable receiver. If you're using the s/pdif option.... the source signal will be passed straight through the soundcard untouched and then processed via your amp. So in your case it'll just be a simple 5.1 DD or DTS signal.

5. guido

guido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another option is the Trust 714DX (bought mine for about £22 I think).

If your Pioneer Amp has coaxial and/or digital in, then I would go for a sound card that has either of these... rather than a sound card with a 3.5mm jack requiring non-std cable to link the two.

The 714DX has coaxial out, so was able to use an existing coaxial QED P75 cable to link to my Marantz Amp...