Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

can you reccomend a motherboard

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by watchinthewheel, Sep 17, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im looking t upgrademy system and am looking at getting a pci-e graphics card, so im having to upgrade my motherboard too, can you reccomend one that fits withall these things:

1)p4 socket 478 800fsb, up to 3ghz support
    2)atx/micro atz form factor
    3)sli
    4)ddr2 support
    5)usb 2.0 (4 or more ports if possible)
    6)under £100 if possible
    7)perferably a well know manufacturer (asrock, abit etc)

i know thats asking a lot for the price but if anyone knows where to find a board like that you guys do! i have been looking but not found any that are socket 478 boards.

thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get a socket 478 SLI motherboard I'm afraid

You can get socket 775 SLI Mobo's, but I'm guessing you've already got your CPU

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or for that matter DDR2 for Socket 478

4. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dammit, how come theres no support for 478's? i thought that was kinnda the standard for p4's dont tell me i would have to get a new chip too!

perhaps i should switch to amd?

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    478 has/is being phased out in favour of 775, so no PCI express chipsets for 478- CPU's themselves are becoming few and far between.
    Your best bet it to ebay your CPU - you'll get a decent price for it and go the 775 or 939 route

6. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok then fair enough if it aint happening, it aint happening.

what can you reccomend that has a pci-e slot and a 478 socket? i was looking at a bit of future-proofing with the ddr2 and sli, i dont have either yet, i will ok with a single pci-e slot for now tbh.

[edit-didnt see above post] ok i didnt know that, i better sell mine while the goings good, would you recomend me going for another intel chip or amd? im upgrading mostly for gamplay but i would like a chip thats good at multitasking too. i have no-idea about the spec of amd chips, i have only ever had pentiums thanks for the quick reply and info btw :thumbsup: [/edit]

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's SLi you're after then AMD64 Socket 939 offers more choice in terms of available motherboards; If DDR2 is more important then look at 775......Confused yet?

8. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you bet i am lol.

im assuming the 64 is a 64bit chip? is it worth paying the extra for that i havent seen that many things taking advantage of its extra power. the sli and ddr were both ideas for the future i havent even looked into ddr2 technology that much, and the sli wasnt meant to be used for a good couple of years yet, i dont see the point when a 7800 can cope with all modern games without a problem.

i may just get a stopgap 478 pci-e board without sli or ddr2, i just dont know, any more advice would be greatly appreceated

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no 478 boards with PCI-Express though...

10. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about this one

i think im going to have to get something like that as a stopgap unless i can drum up some cash

11. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for the links but i have decided what im doing, im going all out and spending bout £500 on upgrades! a 7800gt pci-e a 3ghz socket 775 p4 and a new sli mobo, its costing a fortune but it will be worth it for the huge performance boost ill get (upgrading from a radeon 9600)