Can you reccomend a good graphics card?

creilly

Standard Member
Reaction score
First of all, sorry if this kind of post appears a lot here. I've looked through the other threads and can't really see anything that meets me specific needs/budget...

Can anyone advise me on a decent gfx card? Looking to spend a max of £80, but less is good. I will use it to play games (not anything as trying as crysis, but would like to play lesser games on full detail/resolution) and watch HD/B-Ray movies etc. on my monitor (a 23" "full HD" res).

Anything you need to know about my computer I can tell you (as a basic its got a Q8300 processor, 6GB of Geil DDR2 RAM a 700GB HDD), but im not sure what is relevant when choosing a gfx card. Many thanks!

First of all, sorry if this kind of post appears a lot here. I've looked through the other threads and can't really see anything that meets me specific needs/budget...

Can anyone advise me on a decent gfx card? Looking to spend a max of £80, but less is good. I will use it to play games (not anything as trying as crysis, but would like to play lesser games on full detail/resolution) and watch HD/B-Ray movies etc. on my monitor (a 23" "full HD" res).

Anything you need to know about my computer I can tell you (as a basic its got a Q8300 processor, 6GB of Geil DDR2 RAM a 700GB HDD), but im not sure what is relevant when choosing a gfx card. Many thanks!

Best you'll do at that budget is a HD 4850 or GTS250. Both perform about the same, and will manage most games okay at 1080p resolution, but not at maximum settings in the latest titles.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...R3+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=38524

Your power supply may also be a limiting factor if you have a generic pre-built machine. I'd advise a PSU with at least 25A on the 12V rail for this level of card. If you're unsure of your power supply, you'll need to open up your case and check the label on it.

You could also consider the HD 4770 which is much better on power consumption and only loses out a bit on performance. Prices have stagnated at this level at the moment - we're all waiting for nVidia to release their next generation cards so the price war can crank up again...

Thanks, that's some really helpful information there! If we put aside the power supply factor for a moment and just look at price, can you advise when (approx if needs be) the new line of geforce cards will be released and the current ones will drop in price? I am not desperate for a new card, so if it isn't going to be long, it might be more prudent to wait!

Well the latest promise from nVidia is that they'll start rolling out in early March - however as this has gradually gone back from the initial anticipated launch (late October/ early November 2009) then who's to say?

Are you using onboard graphics at the moment?

Well the latest promise from nVidia is that they'll start rolling out in early March - however as this has gradually gone back from the initial anticipated launch (late October/ early November 2009) then who's to say?

Are you using onboard graphics at the moment?

I have whatever came with the rig - a ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512 MB) Video Adapter, whatver that means?

Your best bet is to go with ATI my personal favorite and hold a much better chance of sticking with it for a long time. Also their cards are brilliant for High Def and incredibly reliable. It should cope well with the games and just as well with any movies that you have.

I'm sure you can get 5750s new for around £80 now. I think that would certainly be your best bet.

Otherwise a second hand 4870? I sold mine recently for £75 so I know it's possible to get them within your budget. :)

I'm sure you can get 5750s new for around £80 now. I think that would certainly be your best bet.

Otherwise a second hand 4870? I sold mine recently for £75 so I know it's possible to get them within your budget. :)

A few people have now reccomended the GTS250 - are they better or worse than the ones you are talking about? I really don't know what im looking for here to be honest, I am just going to run it at stock speeds for a bit of gaming and watching films!

Also, when the prices fall as the new lines are released, how much do you expect that to be by? If its a dramatic drop in prices, might it be worth waiting til then, since im not desperate to upgrade?

Thanks!

Thanks for this. Still in two minds about whether or not to buy one now, or see if prices drop in the future...

Buy one now, there is not going to be a price ware at that level for a long time, the Fermi cards will affect price from £150-350

Buy one now, there is not going to be a price ware at that level for a long time, the Fermi cards will affect price from £150-350

Thanks! On the advice of you and others, I have ordered one today :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom