Can you really damage speakers with a "powerful" amp?

EricJan007

Standard Member
It just depends on the sound burst, low frequency or a high frequency, i managed to just blow one tweeter, of one pasive speaker but one time also the main speaker, it all depends is my guess,
ratings of components in the chain and their lifetime. just be reasonable :)

gadgetluvr

If you have Mrs. watching movies with you i think it´s one of the best "volume limiters" there is. The nagging/screaming will make you rush the remote turning it down fast.. 😅
Not once I install my biometric sensor on the lounge door :laugh:

MIne is x1700H and I never played it above half the power because power is a SECONDARY property of the audio system and my big Mission floorstanders are sensitive enough. It all depend how EFFICIENT are speakers! Like if your speakers sensitivity is 96 dB, your power amp does not have to be more than 30 W per channel. If their sensitivity is 86 dB, you power amp must be capable of delivering 300 W for the SAME loudness! dB is logarithmic scale BTW.

However, good thing is that you can hear when they are close to damaging by the distortion in sound. Play as loud as you want, but as you soon hear any distortion, lower the volume.

Finally, good thing about that Denon series of amps is that you can LIMIT the maximum power in some of the menus.

Real power of the speakers and amplifiers is usually a thing they are fixing it on many ways. There is only one proper way to measure and no one is using it because it gives funny (small) figures. They amp/speakers can withstand 10W of constant power, but for a short time they can stand 50W. Then they use 50W to market their speakers. Some measure "music power". Some "peak power", but non pure sine power.

So take my advice of the one who is listening music for 40+years and who build tons of (pre)amplifiers - rely on your ears. No distortion, all is good. If you hear any distortion, volume down.
Thanks, limiting the volume is probably the first thing I need to do. I just checked and my speaker sensitivity is only 84db :-( Now I've gone from wondering if my amp will be too powerful to whether it will be underpowered for my 5.1.2 setup with 4 ohm speakers at that relatively low sensitivity rating! :facepalm:

JohnnyNapalm

Don’t worry too much. Just be careful with the volume control after a few beers. My speakers for my two channel listening are rated at 400W but my amps are 1.3KW per channel and I have had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Conrad.

Don’t worry too much. Just be careful with the volume control after a few beers. My speakers for my two channel listening are rated at 400W but my amps are 1.3KW per channel and I have had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

I have to ask, what amps give out 1.3kW?

JohnnyNapalm

Musical Fidelity M8 700’s are rated at 1300W into 4 Ohm. I have been running my Kef’s for a couple of years with these Power Amp’s and have had no issues. Cheers.

gadgetluvr

I'd rather limit the volume control instead of the beers .. :D

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom