1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you really build a htpc that you forget about ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gizlaroc, Apr 9, 2003.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    I have been wondering if I could build a htpc that is just a scaler that i really can just forget about.

I see that the silk cards auto detect the input going into them, so could I have an s-video cable coming out of my amp and a sdi cable from the dvd player going into one of these cards and dscaler doing the scaling etc. and just leave it on 24/7

how easy is it to set up infa red to swap between resoluions ?

say
    720x576p @ 75hz
    and
    720x480p @ 60Hz

could I have one button on my pronto to do this ???

also what would be a good size cpu and ram to make this work ??

and what about a 19" rackmount server case, dont need a floppy or dvd drive just to use it as a scaler. I could d/load all drivers etc. with wireless usb card, or am i missing somthing ??

advice would be most grateful :)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Well the Rock exists already so it must be possible! Also I think Neil (Jenz) is going to have an off the shelf solution like this available soon.

Gordon

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Well I am trying one of your lumagens tonight Gordon, so hopefully I wont need to go down the "build your own scaler path" :)

but it would make a good little project.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc,

I built my own HCPC for just over what a Lumagens costs. I could have got this way under £1k if needed.

Yes am sure this is a one box solution that will make mincemeat of a Quadscan Pro/Elite, but unless there is an upgrade for SDI, it will get old quick IMHO.

The picture now is stunning in depth and really is starting to do my BG1208/2 justice.

But I can see the attraction of plug and play, the only alternative again IMHO is the HD Leeza, if it stands up to all the hype.

Nathan

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You can create custom resolutions in powerstrip and then assign a desktop icon to them. You can then assign shortcut keys to the icons. The pronto can learn the shortcut keys. Girder is another option.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645

Is that fairly easy to do ???

I was looking at the H3D card and their own software, I have downloaded the software and it seems to remember your settings for each input ie s-video, sdi and pal, ntsc etc.

could I set up a system with this card using this software (and powerstrip) and have it start when i start windows so i never see the desktop in normal use and just use the remote ( have a pronto remote file for it) ??

[​IMG]

it would just look like a scaler to the end user and all the adjustments could be done by remote.

or is the software not very good ??

to make it worth the effort do i need to be using descaler ??

how would it compare without dscaler to a regualr scaler ?

thanks for the advice

Guy

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I prefered using DScaler with the H3D card, even with the H3D software you still need to have powerstrip setup properly. I now use a gyration mouse as my HTPC control method, its much easier than setting up and using a pronto and being RF its much more practical.