• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can you pseudo bi-amp with a Denon 2105?

Bossk128

After replying to a previous thread, I realised that I've never attempted to biamp my front speakers using zones A and B. After checking out the Denon web site, I noticed that the 2106 specifically does mention this capability, but the 2105 doesn't.

Anybody tried this? Does it work? Is there a reason why it wouldn't when both outputs are outputting the same music?

I'm keen to try, but don't want to blow it up!

I'm aware it's not as good as using two discrete amplifiers, but I'd certainly like see if it's better.

Jase

Distinguished Member
All you would be doing is Bi-Wiring, not Bi-Amping, as the Front A and B speaker terminals share amplification. It will work (assuming you have speakers that can be Bi-Wired). If you do it make sure the jumper bars on the speakers are removed and that you switch on both Front A and B on the Denon.

Bossk128

Ok, thanks for your answer. That is a bit depressing.

So, does this mean that if I did have a pair of speakers on A and a pair of speakers on B, and played A plus B, it would be something like half the volume of just one pair then?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Not half the volume but you would present the Amp with twice the impedance load which could be a problem. If you run two sets of speakers you'd need to use some with an impedance of 16 ohms so the Amp would see a load of 8 ohms when both are running. Alternatively, just stick with one set or run one pair at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom