Can you please comment on my ADSL Statistics?

T3C

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Please can any of the very knowledgeable people that spend time on these forums comment on these figures about my ADSL connection that I've found within my Router?

Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 8222 kbps 868 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 10.8 11.8
Attenuation (dB): 39.0 20.3
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Super Frames: 71368 71369
RS Correctable Errors: 387 4
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 2 65509

HEC Errors: 1 0
Total Cells: 141248 87604
Data Cells: 209650 172071
Bit Errors: 0 0

Are these good numbers or bad or shocking?

Many thanks :)

Bumping :hiya:

Speed Looks good considering the attenuation

Can I do anything to help improve these figures by any chance? Sam Knows says I'm 1.99km straight line from the exchange and I've seen some of my neighbours connect to our exchange between 10,000 & 12000kbps. I would like to get these numbers if possible.

If it helps I'm using a D-Link DSL 2740R router.

Last edited:
Can I do anything to help improve these figures by any chance? Sam Knows says I'm 1.99km straight line from the exchange and I've seen some of my neighbours connect to our exchange between 10,000 & 12000kbps. I would like to get these numbers if possible.

If it helps I'm using a D-Link DSL 2740R router.

Have you tried plugging your router directly into the test socket on the NTE5?

Yeah that's been done and now my router is always connected to the master socket. I've installed a BT I-Plate which did make a small difference and I've even doubled filtered my phone on that socket too.

I'm now just wondering if my dsl-2740r is a bit long in the tooth now and maybe something with a newer chipset within might be another option to get the best connection I can?

Any other suggestions please?

What ISP and tariff are you and your neighbours on? What speed estimate have you been given from your ISP?

I doubt upgrading your router would make a big difference.

And I'm not sure if "double filtering" really makes any difference either.

TalkTalk business and I'm already slightly higher than they quoted to be honest.

My neighbour that connected at 10000 + was on TalkTalk residential. I'm guessing they have a slightly better copper/connection to our local box?

The double filtering was just a bit of snake oil somebody mentioned in a post somewhere and I thought I would try it :rolleyes:

I have changed the internal router setting from auto everything to more specific setting like adsl + and the like which has given a slight change in the connected numbers.

But I'm thinking there's not much else I can do.

Thanks for your time and I'll just have to wait for fibre to be rolled out in our exchange, which by all accounts is the middle of......never. :thumbsdow

Get your noise margin (SNR) reset to 6Db that should give you more speed

Thanks. But how do I go about doing that, do I just contact my isp and ask nicely?

TalkTalk Business

Just give them a call and ask for it to be reset to the default (6dB). Your line attenuation is 39db based on that your line length is 2.8km so your download speeds are good for that length. The SNR reset should give you a bit more speed maybe an extra 1Mbps.

I've already installed new I-Plate about 3 weeks ago and it did help a little bit. I'm going to contact my ISP later today and see what they say.

Just spoken to tech support and got the profile reset and here's my new figures.

ADSL Statistics

Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 11532 kbps 1020 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 5.9 7.0
Attenuation (dB): 39.0 20.3
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Super Frames: 12434 12435
RS Correctable Errors: 6273 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 5 2

HEC Errors: 34 0
Total Cells: 149358 126767
Data Cells: 2894799 126757
Bit Errors: 0 0

I was amazed and so was the tech support guy too!! :clap:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

1925944785.png

Last edited:
Your welcome, now you are syncing at a higher speed you should move to a faster profile over the next few days and get higher download speeds.

Last edited:
I went thought the talk talk support forum route and the advice on there was spot on, yesterday i manged to almost double my speed by them changing my profile and me changing my router to ADSL2+

If you dont get any luck on the phone try the forum.

My Stats -

BEFORE -

Downstream Rate 8000 kb/s
Upstream Rate 864 kb/s
Downstream SNR 9.5 dB
Upstream SNR 10.5 dB
Downstream Attenuation 20.5 dB
Upstream Attenuation 10.5 dB
ADSL Mode ADSL1

AFTER -

Downstream Rate 14020 kb/s
Upstream Rate 1016 kb/s
Downstream SNR 8.8 dB

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom