Can you open a RC014SR remote control?

Richard Cumming

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

Right as my title says, I need to open my Marantz RC014SR remote. The reason that I want to do this is because it seems that my volume control, especially the volume - button, is not functioning well any more.

Every other button works perfectly and from any angle except for the volume button. The batteries are brand new as well.

So there is only one screw (that I can find) and that is inside the battery bay underneath the batteries. Once i have removed that screw, what then? I thought that the 2 halves would pop open but no luck. Is this a case of forcing a screw driver in between the 2 and ratcheting the 2 halves apart (cos that seems like the path to breaking everything) or is there something I am missing?

I see that I can buy a new remote from various stores online however I live in South Africa and it might be an issue getting it here and besides, why spend the money if it is pure and simple a dirty contact or something that I can fix if i can get the unit open.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanx
Richard

Good Morning All,

Right as my title says, I need to open my Marantz RC014SR remote. The reason that I want to do this is because it seems that my volume control, especially the volume - button, is not functioning well any more.

Every other button works perfectly and from any angle except for the volume button. The batteries are brand new as well.

So there is only one screw (that I can find) and that is inside the battery bay underneath the batteries. Once i have removed that screw, what then? I thought that the 2 halves would pop open but no luck. Is this a case of forcing a screw driver in between the 2 and ratcheting the 2 halves apart (cos that seems like the path to breaking everything) or is there something I am missing?

I see that I can buy a new remote from various stores online however I live in South Africa and it might be an issue getting it here and besides, why spend the money if it is pure and simple a dirty contact or something that I can fix if i can get the unit open.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanx
Richard

I have the exact same problem with my RC014SR. Any suggestions outside of buying another new remote?

Hello,

Unfortunately after speaking to my supplier here in South Africa, I was told that the remote is a sealed unit and if you do open it, you would break the casing. I bought a new remote. When I got it I took the old one and tried to open it as carefully as possible.

Suffice to say, even when been careful, the casing is now cracked in several places and lifted in others with scratch marks etc. I never got it open either. It seems to be glued down the middle or something.

Either way I would not suggest trying to open it as it seems to me that after opening it you would need to re-glue or something to close it again and the damage to the sides will be very visible where you will have to lever the two covers apart at the seam. And then of course there is no guarantee that you will be able to fix it anyway.

Maybe one helpful hint I can give is something the supplier said to me. Once you have put batteries in the new one, put it back in its little plastic bag and use it like that. This will keep it in pristine condition and prevent grime and grit from getting into the mechanisms especially if you have kiddies.

Richard, I am also from SA and have the same problem with my remote? Did you get a new remote from HFX, the local Marantz agents?

How much did it cost you?

Howzit. I live in Rustenburg so I just went to the local audio visual guys here that I originally bought the amp from. They most probably ordered the remote from the agents. It cost me just over R1000 but less than R1100 and that included the delivery cost that they said they would charge me.

Hope that helps

Hey all,

I realize this is an old thread, but figured I'd post in the hopes it helps someone in the future.

I too have the same remote which didn't work for certain buttons, and I was able to open it up without breaking it using the following steps:
  1. Remove the batteries; in the batteries compartment is the single screw that needs to be removed
  2. Using something thin, like a dull kitchen knife or putty knife, spread the two halves at the bottom end of the remote; you may need to spread the halves using your fingernails at first. Once you have your tool within the two halves, slide it along the bottom; it should 'snap' open and stay separated (you many need to go back and forth along the bottom edge until it separates).
  3. Once the bottom has started separating, you can tackle the sides; from this point I used an old credit card to avoid scratching/damaging the case plastic. Simply slide it firmly along the length of the remote, and it will gradually 'snap' apart. I alternated between both sides as I opened it towards the top of the remote.
  4. Once the side are done, the top of the remote is all that's left; there again, simply press along the corner edges firmly until the two halves 'snap' apart.
  5. Separate the two halves - be careful not to drop the 'light up' button on the right side as you take the remote apart.

Once apart, it's a simple matter to clean it as needed; use some alcohol to clean the circuit board contacts; the same can be done for the rubber push buttons, or some mild soap/water/thorough drying. Be sure not to rub the button contacts too much so the conductive material doesn't wear off.

Reassembly is the reverse, but be careful to make sure the push buttons seat properly in the top half of the remote so they don't become lodged crooked inside the remote and not function properly. Snap the remote back together starting from the top, towards the bottom. Prior to replacing the screw, make sure to test everything to make sure all contact points work (keeping in mind that the mode of the remote dictates which buttons will send/not send a signal).

Hey all,

I realize this is an old thread, but figured I'd post in the hopes it helps someone in the future.

I too have the same remote which didn't work for certain buttons, and I was able to open it up without breaking it using the following steps:
  1. Remove the batteries; in the batteries compartment is the single screw that needs to be removed
  2. Using something thin, like a dull kitchen knife or putty knife, spread the two halves at the bottom end of the remote; you may need to spread the halves using your fingernails at first. Once you have your tool within the two halves, slide it along the bottom; it should 'snap' open and stay separated (you many need to go back and forth along the bottom edge until it separates).
  3. Once the bottom has started separating, you can tackle the sides; from this point I used an old credit card to avoid scratching/damaging the case plastic. Simply slide it firmly along the length of the remote, and it will gradually 'snap' apart. I alternated between both sides as I opened it towards the top of the remote.
  4. Once the side are done, the top of the remote is all that's left; there again, simply press along the corner edges firmly until the two halves 'snap' apart.
  5. Separate the two halves - be careful not to drop the 'light up' button on the right side as you take the remote apart.

Once apart, it's a simple matter to clean it as needed; use some alcohol to clean the circuit board contacts; the same can be done for the rubber push buttons, or some mild soap/water/thorough drying. Be sure not to rub the button contacts too much so the conductive material doesn't wear off.

Reassembly is the reverse, but be careful to make sure the push buttons seat properly in the top half of the remote so they don't become lodged crooked inside the remote and not function properly. Snap the remote back together starting from the top, towards the bottom. Prior to replacing the screw, make sure to test everything to make sure all contact points work (keeping in mind that the mode of the remote dictates which buttons will send/not send a signal).

I literally just created an account so that I could say you rock!

Thank you! I used your method to open the remote worked perfectly, no damage whatsoever then cleaned the PCB with rubbing alcohol and remote is like new again, I've literally got 3 spare Marantz remotes because I've always been buying replacement remotes, its the down volume button on all of mine that stopped working, they're now all working again.

I also literally just created an account to say YOU ROCK!!!! My husband and I were on the verge of ordering a new remote when I found this thread and decided to give it a try. Worked like magic - took five minutes and saved $50. Thank you!!!!

Thank you Sebastian!!!! I did the same repair to my remote and it is like new. Yes you need to be careful opening it and I used a plastic credit card to separate the halves. A bit of isopropyl alcohol and the remote was working again perfectly. Took 10 mins of gentle work and two cotton buds. Cheers.

I've been trying this technique on the remote for a Marantz SR7009 (RC026SR) which sounds to be made to the same basic design as RC014SR in this thread. But with the screw removed I can't separate the two halves at all, at least not by more than the merest glimmer of a gap. I'm reluctant to apply more force, since even my tentative efforts (first with a thin plastic credit card [which proved too thick] and then with a very fine craft knife blade) have marked the plastic very slightly, but is it the case that I have no choice?

Well, I have to report a failure. I was totally unable to prise the SR7009 remote apart and in the end resorted to brute force and a razor saw. I honestly don't think it's designed to be opened and serviced: once it's shut, the hidden catches which hold it togather are completely inaccessible and (in my case at least) not possible to snap apart.

And unfortunately, once I got the thing open, a thorough cleaning failed to solve the problem: I still have one single button which doesn't work.

FWIW:- Whilst Mfrs don't expect the Buying Public to be able to "repair" these remotes, inevitively they do suffer - ( BTW I must try that suggestion of a plastic bag - er, pity Remotes don't come withy a dozen, to keep the markings pristine). The recent post detailed a "slowly-slowly technique" - which should lead to clean separation of the pieces ((Er I recall the phrase" It's not WHAT* you do, rather HOW you do it" - springs to mind ))
Remember there are static-sensitive chips inside, so be careful. Damp-days are "better" for electronic handling, as is wearing natural fibre ( e.g. Cotton) clothing, floor-coverings, etc.
-If you build plastic models, or work with yr hands, then you should be fine - but if you are often clumsy, then it may be better to buy an "All-in-One" Remote that can be "Taught" the Codes.
IMHO Cutting the plastic with a rotary tool is likely to generate static electricity unless you do it underwater - then drying the pcb will be "difficult" - but could be done ( See * above.).

One suspects the VOL settings are wearing because they are used frequently. By copying this Code to a "Learning" Remote, you could have a back-up - However the cost of Remotes ( to manufacture) is very little, so buying a Genuine spare should be easy/cheap. - - - - Just be sure you are getting one at a good price.
Hope that helps.

12Harry, thanks for all that. I have in the past opened several remotes and inflicted no damage whatsoever, using exactly the go-slowly-and-carefully techniques mentioned here and recommended generally. For whatever reason, the Marantz remote seemed to be in a whole different class, clearly requiring far more force than any other I'd previously encountered: and once opened, it was immediately apparent that the plastic snap-shut catches were of a type and so located that even if their placement was known, easing them open from outside would be next to impossible.

I did in the end take a saw to the remote, though not a powered rotary one. This gave me enough leverage to prise open the two halves, though in doing so I damaged all but three of the catches.

Transferring the codes to a universal remote would have been perfectly possible, except in the case of the one which the Marantz original couldn't transmit: I'd have been no better off with the universal unit.

I have now ordered a genuine replacement from Marantz: it cost me just a fraction under sixty pounds. It was undoubtedly easy but - to my mind - certainly not cheap.

Last edited:
Here is a little hint for those like me who after removing the screw behind the batteries had no luck separating the bottom.

Using a towel to protect the sides,gently squeeze side to side in a vice which will if done “gently” give you an entry space OR as it did with me pop open releasing the clips.

Mine was 70f.,and I believe that is why mine snapped open.

Thanks @ SebastienBoisvert, or I might have given up. Yes, first you take out the screw.
Then follow Sebastien's advice.
There are 2 latch points at the top on either side of the IR Led.
There are 4 points along both edges @ 2.8cm, 7.3cm, 11.4cm and 17.0cm from the bottom (ie @ battery compartment). These are the points that you have to take care at so as not to break the snap in latch.
You may want to try to open so that you are inserting knife (or something) downward from the button side, that may reduce the chance of breaking the latching pieces.
It might also help if the plastic is warm and a little more flexible.
marantz.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @ SebastienBoisvert, or I might have given up. Yes, first you take out the screw.
Then follow Sebastien's advice.
There are 2 latch points at the top on either side of the IR Led.
There are 4 points along both edges @ 2.8cm, 7.3cm, 11.4cm and 17.0cm from the bottom (ie @ battery compartment). These are the points that you have to take care at so as not to break the snap in latch.
You may want to try to open so that you are inserting knife (or something) downward from the button side, that may reduce the chance of breaking the latching pieces.
It might also help if the plastic is warm and a little more flexible.
View attachment 1460959
Once opened the remote control cleaning the area around the volume buttons might help already. However in my case this did not bring the solution. Due to much usage of the volume buttons with potentially too much force the area of the button inner part top contacting with printed circuit board is flattened out meaning the button does not reach the pcb anymore or the potentally conducting area on the inner button surface top has disappeared, both resulting in malfuctioning. I solved the problem by glueing a thin conducting part on top of the flattened out area. I used desoldering braid that I gave some solder to keep the braid together. This solved the problem for me (I am not sure if it will hold: endurance test is starting now (-: !!

Hey all,

Thanks a lot ! I also just created an account to say thanks :)

I did this on a RC002PMCD for the same issue on volume buttons that I had to press very very hard to activate.

I agree with some other replies saying that this remote is not designed to be opened : the plastic is very weak and I damaged it a lot in the process, now the remote is spiky due to all the plastic I bent, but in the end a simple cleaning was enough to avoid buying a new remote.

Hi all, I had your same problem and I tried opening the remote but without success. Then I looked for videos to figure out how to, but I first stumbled upon this guy suggesting an alternative method:

• take out the batteries from the remote,
  • hold down the power button for at least a minute,
  • squish all buttons several times (i honestly don't know if this is "scientifically proven" but nevertheless)
  • put the batteries back in

the comments to the video were ecstatic, everyone (me included) thought this was little more than a prank.. and instead, it worked for me as well. My volume button had gone fully unresponsive after a long time being very hard to press. Not anymore!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom