Can you make yourself an app?

Sparky83

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What I'd like to know is, can you make an app for yourself, and how easy is it?

I appreciate that the "how easy is it" part is based on what the app does so let me (try) to explain.

I work in a large building, we have electrical systems all over the place, distribution board, pipe work, ducting etc etc. All the stuff you would expect in a large office and more.

What I would like to be able to do is create an private app for myself and colleagues at work if they wanted it, that would work on both a phone and tablet.

The idea being that from the main home page you would have tabs for power, lighting, ventilation, water etc etc
When you clicked on water for instance it then goes to another page with everything water related on tabs, soft water, cooling tower water etc

By clicking cooling tower as an example id like it to them give me tabs for pages like...
How they work
The manufactures O&M's
Drawings (which you can then open to look at)
Anything else I cant think of right now.

The idea being that if all the maintenance guys had this app they wouldn't have to keep going back to the office every time they needed to look at drawing or wanted etc info on everything in the building.

Does this sound possible for someone with 0 experience???

Any help with how to go about this and points on stuff would be great, if its even possible at all...

Thanks

There are some app creating software out there which will suit your needs. I'll have a look later. However to share the app, you would need to publish it in the App Store ( free if needed ) as the software needs to be signed I think to run on others. Apple just doesn't let you create apps and share them without their say so.

Probably an easier way for you to do it is create a mobile friendly web page, however, they will obviously need some kind of Internet connection.

With zero experience of coding? Don't even go there. As above, you'd find it far easier to create a website with all the information as long as people have access to the Internet.

What you are after is called BIM and is already available, but at a cost .

As mentioned above, a series of web pages would probably be easier if you could host it on your intranet. You would need to hosts the day centrally anyway

You do that without an app. Put all the files you need on a tablet or phone. Add custom shortcuts to files and put the shortcuts on a homescreen (or screens).

There are plenty of database apps. You just need to work around their shortfalls as it wont be bespoke to your needs.

Have you considered barcodes/QR codes? These can be linked to files or data held on a device. It can be very cheap to.

(You dont mention the OS btw)

"Does this sound possible for someone with 0 experience???"
Yes, very possible.
Something like a smart P&ID?
Intergraph | Products: SmartPlant® P&ID
I have made similar to what you are after with adobe acrobat files and a basic HTML interface and simple hyperlinks, it ran on a CD rom / usb stick, I guess it could be made to work on tablets etc....

I've also built a catalogue for combining various vendor docs for assemblies within Acrobat.

BTW, I have no coding experience or skills. I've never even built a website, but if you befriend a tame IT guy he could probably help you out .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom