1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you loop through a DVD recorder to plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by toby_smith, Jan 28, 2005.

1. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at how I can archive off my Sky+ movies to DVD, but am aware of some restrictions like losing the 5:1 sound.

Given that my 2805 outputs in 5:1. and component to my plasma, I wondered if it is possible to put a DVD recorder between the 2805 and my plasma, and when I want to archive off a movie, just record onto the DVD.

I guess this would require both component input and output on the DVD recorder to allow the loop through, as well as an optical input.

Is this possible, and does such a DVD recorder exist?

2. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the sky box wont output component, you will have to use scart (RGB?) to take the signal to the DVD.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    YES i assume you are going S-video in to 2805 so use RGB scart into DVDR (panny DVDR will then output via component back into 2805 for watching (if you have a spare input or can use S-video in and out of DVDR I would get an E65 now before the new awful looking things come out...

4. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I should have mentioned that I go from Sky+ through a JS RGB-YUV convertor to the 2805.

Also, I've already got a 2910, so I can use this for playback, and/or use the recorder - the point being is that I can get away without having a top quality player since I've already got one.

What I'm wanting to achieve is to get the movies from Sky+ archived off, but maintaining the 5:1 sound.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    to retain 5.1.......Hmmm i think D-VHS is the only current option. Rascazk will know

6. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    according to his guide, there are no DVD recorders that can record 5:1 sound presently. :thumbsdow

I thought in hind-sight that perhaps I'd got it wrong with my Denon 2805/2910 combination given my preference to now archive from Sky+, but for the time being at least, there is still no ability to archive 5:1 movies.

Perhaps the answer is to go for a larger hard disk in the Sky+ box. Now I know there are loads of threads to be reading about this...... :zonked: