Can you link up two Xbox 360's

my friend insisted i had to bring my 360 over his - numpty cant work the interent and use live like any sane person.

Anyway i relented, but it didnt work with the network cable we had lying around, maybe the official one would have.

on reflection im sure the cable should have worked, but i did wonder if its because he doesnt get any console / game updates....

AFAIK linking 2 360's only works if the gane you want to play has a 'system link' option, such as PGR3.

and an official cat 5 cable will be no better or worse than a standard cat5 patch lead. Unless of course the one you have is goosed.

You still need a switch/hub inbetween them or failing that a cross over (null modem) cable to connect one directly to another.

Easiest way to do this:

Network Switch/Hub (Ideally with DHCP server)
2 x cat 5 cables

Plug Each XBox into the hub with a cat 5 and set them up to receive an IP automatically and you should be good to go.

You still need a switch/hub inbetween them or failing that a cross over (null modem) cable to connect one directly to another.

Easiest way to do this:

Network Switch/Hub (Ideally with DHCP server)
2 x cat 5 cables

Plug Each XBox into the hub with a cat 5 and set them up to receive an IP automatically and you should be good to go.

Sorry but your wrong. See Cybreys post/link.

AFAIK linking 2 360's only works if the gane you want to play has a 'system link' option, such as PGR3.

and an official cat 5 cable will be no better or worse than a standard cat5 patch lead. Unless of course the one you have is goosed.

Do you know if GOW has that option?

I heard that you can connect two 360's that have the official wireless adapter with an ad-hoc network.

I haven't tried it yet, but as i'm buying my brother a 360 for Xmas it's something I may try.

I have the wireless adapter on one of the machines, would i be able to plug the other machine into my router and be able to play online as a guest together?

on reflection im sure the cable should have worked, but i did wonder if its because he doesnt get any console / game updates....

possibly, just read this on the live guide

live guide said:
The most common problem with System link is with regards to game updates from Xbox live. Both consoles need to be running the same version of the game. Some games are updated via Xbox live. If one person has the update but the other doesnt, it wont work. You need to get both consoles up to the latest patch version of the game.

Cross-over cable!!!

If you use standard ethernet cable the output pins of one Xbox are connected to the output pins of the other Xbox, similarly for input pins. You need to connect the input to the output and vice-versa...

Its not difficult to knock up a cross over cable with the right tools, easily available from Maplin, and a google search to give the connection details, here is a good one: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

It should be easy to find a cable available off the net for less than a tenner

I have a null modem cable, so i'll give that a try. Just can't test yet cause my machines arn't back from microsoft yet. I have two GOW games here ready and waiting! Just hope i can go online with a guest with two machines linked up.

Cross-over cable!!!

If you use standard ethernet cable the output pins of one Xbox are connected to the output pins of the other Xbox, similarly for input pins. You need to connect the input to the output and vice-versa...

Its not difficult to knock up a cross over cable with the right tools, easily available from Maplin, and a google search to give the connection details, here is a good one: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp

The 360 has autosensing capabilities when using a system link. It does not need to be a crossover cable.

As posted above you don't need a cross over cable. The 360 has a in built auto sensor which detects when another 360 is connected to it and automatically puts in a crossover.

damn my slowing typing fingers :)

Cross-over cable!!!

NO - the 360 can switch the inputs/outputs on the connection if you use the wrong cable so it doesn't matter which cable you use.

EDIT: Damn my even slower typing!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom