can you legally charge a company admin fees

crashuk

Established Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if its possible to charge a company admin fees when they write to you, and if you can how can you do it and what needed to be said.

Maybe some context might be useful here...

If this is in relation to a complaint or you are after compensation then I think you are allowed to charge for reasonable things like phone calls, time and things like that.

Ok have TV it developed a fault had on engineer out said it was uneconomical to fix, said he had no room to take it in his van, he told me TV manufacture would arrange pick up nothing happen for months so called them they told me they had no record of sending an engineer I was told, email back and forth.

Then I was told they would send out another engineer was told he would turn up by 10 am, but no one turned up at 10 am nor 11 am so I called The CS i was told no engineer was book for that day started to make a noise on the phone etc.. then while I was on the phone the engineer turned up he spoke to CS about it, CS then told him to leave the TV, as it was going to be replaced.

Few email back and forth I was then told it would not be replaced but fix. As you guess very unhappy sending email back and forth, then I agree for a repair, they came took TV repaired it, the brought it back, there was a scratch on the screen so I reported it and wrote it down on their work notes.
Call CS told them about this, they are saying it was not scratched by them, so now wrote them a letter about how its there responsibility etc.. as it was under their care.

Do you have a picture of TV before it was taken? Preferably morning of.

No, even if you did take a pic you cant see it but we did check the TV before it was taken.
Unfortunately unless they signed for it as undamaged I think you'll struggle.

No, even if you did take a pic you cant see it but we did check the TV before it was taken.
I tend to agree with Jago - but I also tend not to give in with these CS type issues! When you say 'we' checked it - was that you and the pick up person? If so I take that as acceptance there was no damage.

Even if not. I would approach them by stating that I took a lack of a report of damage (or no damage) at each hand over to be unwritten confirmation there was no damage until I got it back - which I advised them about. There was your hand over to transport, transport to repairer (maybe more than one), repairer to transport (again maybe more than one) and transport to you. Damage could have occurred at any of those unless they have evidence otherwise - burden of proof the same for all parties IMO so they can't demand time stamped photos from you within 5 minutes of delivery unless they have the same for every hand over.

Even when you sign for no damage there are several justifications for getting back to them later to confirm damage. The old fashioned 'you signed there was no damage' is not 100% water tight in my experience and opinion.

My understanding on fees is similar to that already posted - you 'can' but maybe need a little ground work to advise them what you will charge and it must be 'reasonable'. Don't rely on what banks think is reasonable though when you decide what your time and efforts are worth :) actual cost recovery is 'easier' but still subject to the 'can I be bothered' test for me. That depends where they are at and go with the actual issue they are being asked to address of course.......:)

Nothing above should be relied upon of course - 100% what I would do in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Unfortunately unless they signed for it as undamaged I think you'll struggle.
When it was returned to me I inspected it, saw the scratch wrote on the service sheet damage to screen while the engineer was there and took a photo of the service sheet that the engineer took back.

I tend to agree with Jago - but I also tend not to give in with these CS type issues! When you say 'we' checked it - was that you and the pick up person? If so I take that as acceptance there was no damage.
Yes We both checked the screen before it was taken and there was no damage.

On this theme.

Say I drive or take a train into town. Takes me 30 mins and costs train fare or parking charges plus petrol. not to mention my time to get to the store.

I buy the item get it home and it's faulty.

In theory, as they have supplied me a faulty product, and this is not my fault, and of course they are not going to drive round my place to replace it.
Should I be able to charge them for the costs to return this item for a replacement?

I know this is unrealistic in todays world, but could you technically?

And along the same lines, say I have paid for next day delivery and take a day off work, they don't deliver, so I have lost a days pay, so I should be able to charge them for my loss of earnings?

On this theme.

Say I drive or take a train into town. Takes me 30 mins and costs train fare or parking charges plus petrol. not to mention my time to get to the store.

I buy the item get it home and it's faulty.

In theory, as they have supplied me a faulty product, and this is not my fault, and of course they are not going to drive round my place to replace it.
Should I be able to charge them for the costs to return this item for a replacement?

I know this is unrealistic in todays world, but could you technically?

And along the same lines, say I have paid for next day delivery and take a day off work, they don't deliver, so I have lost a days pay, so I should be able to charge them for my loss of earnings?
But if they damage it why should you pay the costs?

But if they damage it why should you pay the costs?

Perhaps some misunderstanding regards what I meant.

I was just posing the concept that if you are sold something faulty and have to return it, at cost to you the customer.
Or an item is not delivered so you have lost wages as a customer.
Should the selling company reimburse your costs as you are the innocent party

Perhaps some misunderstanding regards what I meant.

I was just posing the concept that if you are sold something faulty and have to return it, at cost to you the customer.
Or an item is not delivered so you have lost wages as a customer.
Should the selling company reimburse your costs as you are the innocent party
I think as others have said this is not the same thing so a little OT. IMO the answer is no to all questions. Buying a faulty product is not the same as what the OP describes. SOGA tells you and the seller what your rights are for what you describe. Loss of wages for waiting for things comes up often and I can't think of an occasion where it 'must' be covered by 'somebody'.

Yes We both checked the screen before it was taken and there was no damage.
So in my world at least you are pretty much there - that the damage occurred out of your ownership and control. The collector and the repairer and returner can argue who bears the cost - but I would say you have enough to say the damage occurred somewhere between it leaving your possession and returning. When exactly is not your concern.

So in my world at least you are pretty much there - that the damage occurred out of your ownership and control. The collector and the repairer and returner can argue who bears the cost - but I would say you have enough to say the damage occurred somewhere between it leaving your possession and returning. When exactly is not your concern.
They said its was unlikely, ie they believed it was not damaged under there care, they argue it was repaired under a controlled environment so could not be damaged. I wrote down on the service sheet damage to screen, I emailed them asking for a repair they said no so I emailed them again asking for a replacement they refused. wrote other email giving them 7 days to come up with a decision and any costs that I incur i will charge them plus any administrative costs.

They said its was unlikely, ie they believed it was not damaged under there care, they argue it was repaired under a controlled environment so could not be damaged. I wrote down on the service sheet damage to screen, I emailed them asking for a repair they said no so I emailed them again asking for a replacement they refused. wrote other email giving them 7 days to come up with a decision and any costs that I incur i will charge them plus any administrative costs.
And based on what you have said I would do the same. No guarantee of a result of course :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom