Can you kind people with Sammy 3D tv do a simple test for me please

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
In my earlier thread asking for help with 3D can all you people with Samsung LED 3D TV's do me a test please and post your results here.

Model of Samsung TV and if you are using a PS3 or standalone blu ray player for 3D playback ( if stand alone player model number and make please)

The test I would like you to do if you own any of these films , A Christmas Carol or Cloudy with meatballs is this please.

Play the 3D version and tell me if you can alter the setting of screen fit in the picture options menu on the sammy TV mine is locked and greyed out in 3D mode but can change it when playing 2D.

When playing 3D in christmas carol the entire width of the 3D image fills the screen on the sammy when the disney castle intro starts with the train and fireworks , as soon as the movie starts do you get slight trimming of the wide screen image each side in 3D.

The same applies to cloudy meatballs when in 3D slight trimming each side of image on screen.

I would really appreciate your findings many thanks :lease:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Looks like there is a Screen Fit option on the remote of the BDP that does that fixes this. Not sure if it is what you are looking for.

3D Blu-ray Disc

Samsung Website said:
To maximize your viewing experience, to truly feel the power of the on-screen portrayals, you need all the picture you can get. With the Screen Fit feature, Samsung Blu-ray disc player’s automatically converts 21:9 aspect ratio movies to 16:9 aspect, eliminating those annoying black bands crowding the scenes. Watch movies the way they were meant to be seen—with just one touch of the screen fit button.

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
cheers commander but its the edges of the movie that is the issue length wise and not the black bars mate , you have to look for it carefully but its annoying.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
cheers commander but its the edges of the movie that is the issue length wise and not the black bars mate , you have to look for it carefully but its annoying.
Yeah just seen in the other thread that its a PS3 you are using too. I've seenthis mentioned about the PS3 so I'll try it on both PS3 and the Sammy Blu Ray tonight.

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Looks more likely that I will treat myself to a new stand alone player at the weekend then to overcome the issue of the PS3 dropping the HD audio in 3D mode. :thumbsdow

I like my movies sounding good , after all what is the point of a super 3D picture with naff audio when you know full well you have the amp for the HD tracks :nono:

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Looks more likely that I will treat myself to a new stand alone player at the weekend then to overcome the issue of the PS3 dropping the HD audio in 3D mode. :thumbsdow

I like my movies sounding good , after all what is the point of a super 3D picture with naff audio when you know full well you have the amp for the HD tracks :nono:
The Standalone player will drop 3D unless you have a HDMI 1.4 compliant AVR. Otherwise you'll have to use optical to the AVR (which doesnt support HD Audio) and conenct the BDP directly to the TV

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Sorted mate I have a 1.4 Onkyo 608 amp so all is fine.

Have a look what I found here after searching Hmmmmmmm its not my equipment after all then.

Disney's A Christmas Carol - FULL HD 3D - 11/16/10 - Page 3 - Blu-ray Forum

Read forward from post 53 of this thread , interesting to read one post in particular where they say Panasonic screens don't suffer this issue.

If this is the case I am very annoyed and may swap my TV for the Pana plasma then , £2500 for this to happen in 3D is not right in my opinion.
Will take my xmas carol disc to currys and try it on their 50" pana 3D plasma at weekend.
Post back mate your thoughts and findings cheers :smashin:

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
In this post number 61

Disney's A Christmas Carol - FULL HD 3D - 11/16/10 - Page 4 - Blu-ray Forum

I checked out the exact scene mentioned above at the exact same times as in the screen shots , about 50 mins until 51 mins 30 secs and its horrendous !

I get a moving bar that at times is nearly 4 inches on the right hand side , try taking your 3D glasses off while its playing and watch it move in from the right hand side to overlay the picture and then back.

If this is 3D then I am not impressed and it really as put a dent into my 3D movie viewings. :thumbsdow

Jimmer

I noticed this last night viewing this film, forst time I've seen it but now I will be on the lookout for it wether I want to or not. What a shame!

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Just waiting for commander shepard to confirm details from his PS3 and a standalone player , do you copy commander shepard over ?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Just waiting for commander shepard to confirm details from his PS3 and a standalone player , do you copy commander shepard over ?
Well i gave it a go and I didn't notice it that bad on the Standalone blu Ray player, maybe 1cm or so so hardly noticeable the PS3 was slightly worse but again hardly enough to be distracting.

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Well i gave it a go and I didn't notice it that bad on the Standalone blu Ray player, maybe 1cm or so so hardly noticeable the PS3 was slightly worse but again hardly enough to be distracting.
thanks for checking mate by the way , did you check out xmas carol at 50mins - 51.30 mins in for the 4" sidebar moving inwards.
Its awful when you watch how bad an error it is without your glasses on , christ we have moaned over disc errors before but this is just a shambles in my opinion :thumbsdow

Ive a ps3 connected to my samsung 680, and im not getting this? ive bars top and bottom, but the picture fills the entire width of the screen from left to right throughout the film?

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Ive a ps3 connected to my samsung 680, and im not getting this? ive bars top and bottom, but the picture fills the entire width of the screen from left to right throughout the film?
Don't mean sound harsh mate but its fairly hard to spot but once you do its one of those you always look for after it bugs you and distracts from enjoying your 3D movie.

Read the above posts carefully and I think you may spot it.
What is your setting in picture options using PS3 is it locked and greyed out on screen fit when playing 3D content from the PS3 ?

Don't mean sound harsh mate
no worrys, ive very broad shoulders :)

ive just put the 3d disc in and put it too the time you mention and still nothing, film goes all the way across, so either im blind (has been known) or im not getting this problem for some weird reason? forgot to check settings, and im not brave enough to interupt the wife watching peter andre again, so will have a look at 10pm.

its a phat ps3 (the backward compatable one) connected direct to hdmi 2 on the back of the 680 as my amp wont do 1.4 :(

ok, have had a better read of the link you sent and registered on the site so I can see the pictures of the fault, and can now confirm that I too have the same issue, every now and then its between 1 and 2cm, then from time to time (51:27 for example) its starts 3 inches from the right then completely vanishes off the right hand side :( so as i said above im blind lol.................. what did you think of the overall 3d effects this film? other than the snow effects i found it quite flat and underwhelming? compared with say m vs aliens and cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

(sorry to get you hopes up kingKarl)

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Just sent you a PM mate can you give us a quick call or PM me mate and I will call you , cheers buddy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom