1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you justify spending 3K on a "telly"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dodgydaz, Jun 18, 2005.

1. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My PV500 (yes- another person who's bought one) will be arriving on Monday, so as you can imagine I am quite excited.
    However, little niggly thoughts are going through my head. In particular about the cost.
    I have used a credit card to pay for the TV, glass stand and cabling. All in all I have racked up nearly 3 grand. (£60 for one scart cable- OMG!!!)
    Although I have got 4 cards, until the other day, I didnt owe a penny on any of them. Which was one of the reasons for getting the plasma now instead of saving it up the old fashioned way and getting it in a years time.
    Now I feel I have to justify my purchase to my friends and family. After all, my "old" 32 inch JVC is in perfect condition so I dont need a new TV right now.
    Dont get me wrong. I am chuffed to bits about getting it, and know I will enjoy it, but £3 grand is a hell of a lot of money, and I know other people may think I have money to burn when they find out I have a plasma.
    Has anyone else had similar thoughts when they bought their TV?

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I budgeted £2.5K for my plasma so worked 120 hours overtime to pay for it, but in the end it only cost me £2100.

I bought a 32" 100hz panny CRT not too long ago for £1250 and a 28" 100hz panny CRT as a second TV not too long ago.
    I don't think the price is too bad for the latest set.

3. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am opting to save first and then buy when i have the cash. Credit cards are a very costly way to fund a new tv and for me 3k is too rich for me. I'd love the pv500, but need one to cost around 1500, so am waiting for the samsung or pv prices to drop. :confused: :confused:

More overtime needed. lol :D :D

4. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't worry, I thought exactly the same thing while hovering my mouse pointer over the "confirm purchase" button! To be honest, I'm half looking for a reason to send it back as I'll be looking to buy a new car in the next year!!!

But (and it's a BIG but)... the pv500 is a fantastic tv. I'd viewed many plasmas and lcd in the months leading up to the release of the pv500 and not been impressed at all. Panasonic have released this range at a very reasonable price given that it's performance is on a par with anything out there.

The biggest thing for me was whether to save £500 and buy the non HD version. I can't see HD in all forms (DVD, tv broadcasts, etc.) taking off and becoming mainstream for another couple of years yet, and early adopters always end up paying over the odds for the latest technology. Still, there's HD gaming in the form of the Xbox 360 and PS3 around the corner...

My mother and brother are visiting today, and I know I'm going to find myself trying to justify £2.5k on a tv, but really... if you can afford it, then simply enjoy it. A friend of mine bought a plasma for £1.5k 6 months ago (no names mentioned, but it was from Argos ;)), and the black scenes on that are green(!), so despite the expense, you really are getting good value for money. :smashin:

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's a lot of money but the way I approached it was that my wife and I don't go out much (hardly ever in the evening unless we go to the cinema), we don't drink much (perhaps a bottle of wine a week unless going to a BBQ) and don't smoke etc. We both work hard and by the time we get home of an evening, we just want to chill out and watch some films and our favourite programs.

We also find it useful when friends come over to watch the football/rugby etc.

Oh and finally, my daughter loves it :thumbsup:

Having said that, I didn't buy one on credit, we saved up for ages.Only regret I have is that I still get earache from my wife for not buying the Sony she wanted. ;)

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It's a lot of money for sure. By next year or so the new models will be better featured and getting cheaper and cheaper. Your call what you can afford here and now and what it's worth to you. That's always a personal decision.

7. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are right to have concerns...even though I've bought the Pv500
    and am happy with it, it may not be a sensible purchase.
    I strongly believe that you once you have a "better, greater" product,
    you get used to it...and once you are used to it, it gives you about
    the same satisfaction as your "older, worse" product. The western
    world is very materialistic....but is it right? Could the PV500 money
    be better spent on a mind-broadening holiday? Should we be spending less
    time watching TV and spending more time having a more healthy, active life?
    Should we be doing more social activites (e.g. spending time with family), making the world a friendlier and better place, rather than sitting in front of a TV? Could a PV500 be a health hazard - making us even more lazy and causing us to put-on more weight, reducing our life expectancy???!!! Slightly off topic - but pause for thought before you get your PV500.

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    completely agree, but i and everyone else are victims of this very point! I spent £200 on a lcd monitor 6 months ago, was so chuffed with it, now id rather have the £200 back! (£200 is a lot of money to me, let alone £3k!!!)

9. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

10. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I aree it is a lot, but it is full HD ready. So I am looking at it like this. I paid 3.5K for my SD Panny 42" PW5 years ago. So 2.5-3K for a 42" Hidef model is good if not great. I would go and buy one right now if I hadn't just put down every penny I own to get the smallest mortage I could get.

11. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cereal do you buy? We only get plastic toys and none of them even have a remote!!! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Interesting topic this. Lets not forget spending 2K and above on a TV is a luxury, something that some of us think we deserve but a luxury nontheless. Can we get by without spending this much, of course we can but I'm sure most of us will find a justification for doing so. Bottom line though is if you're having second thoughts about spending 2K-3K on a TV and by doing so will put you into financial difficulty then please don't, there are much better uses to put this money to.

13. Keithcun

Keithcun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just look at how much people spend on cars and the amount of time they spend in them.I know people who wouldn't baulk at spendimg £10,000 on a car,yet all they do is go to work and back in it,approx 1 hour per day + pleasure times at the weekend.

For those who don't go out a great deal,they'll get more use and enjoyment out of a £3,000 TV than a £10,000 car.

But how many people would question your sanity if they told them you'd spent £10,000 on a car,no-one more likely.

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    personally, worry less and simply enjoy it. You know you can pay it off, though CC are a pain.

I paid £4.5 K for a projector that gets turned on most nights but have zero regret as I love it, and like others here, staying in is my going out.

Enjoy the set up and post some pics when all up and running.

Pete.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    an age old debate, i know of quite a few people that since going from a "telly" to a Plasma/PJ watch less enjoy more.....The people who watch the most TV tend not to have the best equipment for doing so........is it a luxury? yes and indlgence hell yeah, worth the money? thats one for you to decide

16. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think my main worries are.. what other people are going to say. I can afford to spend this amount of money, thats not a problem. I'm not rich, especially since the wife is now at home looking after our son, but I know at the end of the day I can pay it back.
    You're right Keithcun, I know a few people who spend thousands modding their cars, and no one bats an eyelid.
    I am totally at peace with myself for spending this amount of money, but I know many people who would think Im mad for doing so. That is the only concern I have. Especially since I've just come off the phone from my old man who is considering going to "Ocean finance" to get some money to decorate his house :eek: I am dreading his next visit when he sees my shiny new plasma. :rolleyes:

17. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    It's your money - you go to work and earn it - so its up to you what you spend it on!

Some ppl go out every night and p*ss it up the wall - if you want to watch tv, and dvd's, or play games in HD, then you have every right to go out and spend your money in whatever way you see fit.

At the end of the day, you'll get your enjoyment from it, and a couple of years down the line, when you look back, I bet you'll think it was a bloody good investment.

18. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just to say to the above,YOUR A LONG TIME DEAD enjoy.
    Cheers Gonzo.

19. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am in a similar position,there is nothing wrong with my 32in Panasonic, except that it's 8 yrs old,and the picture quality has probably deteriorated over that length of time,but as it's a gradual process,you don't notice it.

I went to our local Panasonic dealer yesterday for a demo,and decided a 37in PV500 was what I wanted,all I have to do now is find the best price.

Do I feel guilty about spending £2000+ on a TV,no way.
    We don't go out much,and the Wife likes Her DVD's,so why not watch them in the most enjoyable way She can.

As one of the other replies say's,
    When they screw the lid down,that's it,so enjoy now and be damned later.

Regards
    Alan

20. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An excellent topic this, and ideal for my first post as a newbie to this forum.

36" CRT Toshiba £1500 3 years ago. Fallen in love with 42" PV500 and am debating "wait till Xmas or get it now on the Virgin card"

Current telly is great. I'm just seduced by the thought of HD etc .

Normally I'm impulsive (e.g. £35,000 on a car when I went out for a sandwich for christs sake!) - I know I'll look back at Xmas and wished I'd waited.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A salesmans dream, welcome to the forum, you need to make the decision, but prices will fall, perhaps wait until the ned of summer a try and grab an extra value deal ie something you want thrown in, at the moment its a free DVD-R they will most likely stop that drop the price then put the free DVD-R back on!!!

22. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome, and the sound words of advice.....just been reading a number of threads about PV500 v P50 and it seems to me that there is little advantage in getting in HD early and so i'll hang on until later in the year.

Marc

23. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hornydragon
    As stated,I have decided to purchase a 37in PV500,but you advise waiting till the end of summer,perhaps until Panasonic release their next Panel,as they will be better specced,and probably cheaper.

Problem is,how many times do we keep putting it off, cos there will always be something bigger and better just round the corner?
    Cheers
    Alan

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I take it you're not married! :D

25. dodgydaz

dodgydaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks all. You've put my mind at rest. :thumbsup:
    New TV arrives tomorrow. Told my wife NOT to let them try and set it up when they deliver it and NOT to even unpack it, unless they have to do that to check the screen is still OK after transit.
    One of the best bits about getting new kit is unwrapping it :) :) Feel like a kid at Christmas.
    Well I am only 31. :)

26. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Feeling like a kid when unpacking electrical goodies never goes away with age matey, i'm 58 and still get excited. I just wish i could come to a decision on a new plasma. I wanted a 42pv 500 but now i have doubts in view of the possible faults which are coming to light. I am now considering a PWD7 but the problem is, will i feel i have bought old technology if i go down that road. Decisions, decisions, nothing is ever easy. Geoff.

27. marc777

marc777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yes - married but brave. Got away with it (breadwinner etc which sounds sexist but isn't meant to be. She likes the Merc as much as me).

Its her thats pushing for HD ready TV after having seen a Philips 50" in Currys !

This is my dilemna........

happens every time I buy but then its going to isn't it? Just wish HD was here now as that would drive the decision.

In danger of hijacking the thread - so apologies in advance, but would I notice picture improvement 36" Tosh CRT 100mhz to the PV500 (apart from size of course) - actually ignore that i'll post my own thread.

28. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I justify it by the fact that I gave my CRT to my Mum who was only renting a set. That and the fact that my plasma actually makes my small flat looks bigger as its set back more.

Besides, it's only money!

29. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nopes - but I can justify spending 5k on a Display... :devil:

30. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know cheapest place to buy a 5yr guarantee on one of these?

I know JL do it free but they have no stock and price match is a bit difficultat times.

I bought one over the weekend for 2169 including ES10 and wall bracket. I am now regretting not having a 5yr guarantee on it.

:lease: